Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 11:05 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times

Advertisements

I'm safe, but I fully intend to do my best to leave in the coming months anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 11:27 PM

782 posts, read 1,109,101 times
My primary job is safe..oil and gas and food... but I want to move back to Texas to a boss that dearly loves and misses me and I him.. (same company) for extra job security. My second income stream not so sure about.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:15 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
Even though I have been with the same job for 3 years now, I update my resume monthly and always have 2-3 job leads, just in case anything happens. Anyone without a backup plan is nothing short of foolish. If I lost my job tomorrow I would have three interviews by the end of the week.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:52 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,703,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Even though I have been with the same job for 3 years now, I update my resume monthly and always have 2-3 job leads, just in case anything happens. Anyone without a backup plan is nothing short of foolish. If I lost my job tomorrow I would have three interviews by the end of the week.
Same here. My CV is updated regularly and I maintain touch with recruiters and colleages at other companies - if they ask me about a position I am not interested in, I forward that to others I know who are looking, or even give them leads directly if they come my way through colleagues looking for a new position.

One always has to be prepared. I was laid off in December of last year. I had 6 initial interviews and four final interviews within a 3-week time frame and started a new position 32 days after being laid off (and that was with the Christmas holidays in the middle of that time frame). I'm not saying it would be that easy again if I had to look for a new position tomorrow - but I also wouldn't be in a panic and starting a new search from ground zero either.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:57 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,383,442 times
Hard to say.
My company was doing really well at the beginning of the year and had projected a 40% growth over last year. Thena few weeks ago, they cancelled our 25th anniversary ball and just last week, let our only receptionist go. I'm told my group is fine for now sine sales have been good and we're busy but I don't know what the next few months will bring.

I'm also the last one in. I'm hoping the fact that I support a VP who depends on me a lot will help me keep my job.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:05 AM

548 posts, read 1,217,529 times
No job is truly safe, but my firm has done extremely well even during these past few years, so I would be surprised if anything changed even if the economy continues to suffer.

Old 08-22-2011, 01:14 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
I am good for the next 4 years or so. we are building a new hospital and it won't be completed till February of 2015.

Old 08-22-2011, 03:22 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I am good for the next 4 years or so. we are building a new hospital and it won't be completed till February of 2015.
Companies that do this work very seldom shut down and when they do it's never clean. Even if a corporation if there's performance and payment bonds (there always is when talking this much money) there's master surety agreements between the owners of the corporation and the bonding company. These agreements extend to the wives as well so it is extremely difficult to finagle your way out.

If default after the bonding company finds the dead carcass they bayonet it just to be sure. Once the bond holder and spouse sign the master surety agreement his rights as a living and breathing human being are over. You would have more rights in the old Soviet Union. This is what makes jobs like this a sure thing... for four years you are golden, there will be no shutdown.

I am in line for a 2 1/2 year bonded project... we get that I have a guarantee I'm good to full retirement age.

Old 08-22-2011, 03:31 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
just curious, how would you have 3 interviews by the end of week if you were laid off? From knowing former coworkers working at other companies?

Old 08-23-2011, 05:43 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
just curious, how would you have 3 interviews by the end of week if you were laid off? From knowing former coworkers working at other companies?
Yes...simply by knowing people. I make it a point to be friends with people who have very good connections.

Not just former co-workers. For example, a month ago I was invited golfing by a person I barely know (their typical 4th couldn't come and I was a distant backup plan simply so they weren't stuck with a COMPLETE stranger on the course). I went anyway, got to know one of the three guys that I haven't met before. I have hung out with him and his fiancee already since then. He is friends with someone very high up in HR in his company. I know if I asked, I would have an interview with that company within a week. Nearly all of my job opportunities come up in ways like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment