Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 10:07 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,481,746 times

Advertisements

I've wanted to work and live in Chicago ever since high school and now that I've graduated, I finally can make the leap, I just need to find a job. I've been applying to a lot of jobs via job sites as well as looking directly at publications' websites. So far I haven't had an interview yet and some companies have replied that I have impressive clips, but they prefer not hiring from out of state. I will admit that I haven't applied to nearly as many jobs as I should, which is one thing I will need to improve and might account for not receiving any interviews.

I know someone in Chicago who wants me to live with her in October. The rent is really affordable and I'd be able to live there by using my freelance pay until I find a salaried position. I'm wondering if this is the move I should make. I'd have a Chicago address so it might make a difference with the job search.

Any thoughts/advice appreciated. =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 10:10 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
Sounds like you should go for it. Pack boots.

Old 08-18-2011, 11:49 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,424,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolSocks View Post
I've wanted to work and live in Chicago ever since high school and now that I've graduated, I finally can make the leap, I just need to find a job. I've been applying to a lot of jobs via job sites as well as looking directly at publications' websites. So far I haven't had an interview yet and some companies have replied that I have impressive clips, but they prefer not hiring from out of state. I will admit that I haven't applied to nearly as many jobs as I should, which is one thing I will need to improve and might account for not receiving any interviews.

I know someone in Chicago who wants me to live with her in October. The rent is really affordable and I'd be able to live there by using my freelance pay until I find a salaried position. I'm wondering if this is the move I should make. I'd have a Chicago address so it might make a difference with the job search.

Any thoughts/advice appreciated. =)
With Google Phone you can have a phone number originating from any area code. With mailboxes dot com, or one of the mail forwarding services, you can have a local address anywhere. No need for out of town addy and phone number to be an issue anymore.

I'm sure there's a way to forward the Google phone to your cell phone or something. Technology is really helping the unemployed here, who are definitely facing prejudicial treatment if they are from "away".

Sorry I can't give more details: I personally am a technophobe in reality. I have yet to figure out the doodads on my cell phone. However, my tech savvy friends assure me that you can be "local" from anywhere, these days.

Best of luck to you! Congrats on having skills that are transportable, and that you can use to provide a margin of safety by freelancing, as you are doing!

Good luck to you.

Old 08-19-2011, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane_sm1th73 View Post
With Google Phone you can have a phone number originating from any area code. With mailboxes dot com, or one of the mail forwarding services, you can have a local address anywhere. No need for out of town addy and phone number to be an issue anymore.

I'm sure there's a way to forward the Google phone to your cell phone or something. Technology is really helping the unemployed here, who are definitely facing prejudicial treatment if they are from "away".

Sorry I can't give more details: I personally am a technophobe in reality. I have yet to figure out the doodads on my cell phone. However, my tech savvy friends assure me that you can be "local" from anywhere, these days.

Best of luck to you! Congrats on having skills that are transportable, and that you can use to provide a margin of safety by freelancing, as you are doing!

Good luck to you.
The problem with faking being near is when I'm called for interviews, I can't schedule them without a lot of notice since I will be traveling and need time to book a hotel and drive to the city. But thanks for the tips and the luck =)

Old 08-19-2011, 05:15 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolSocks View Post
I will admit that I haven't applied to nearly as many jobs as I should, which is one thing I will need to improve and might account for not receiving any interviews.)
No your preceding sentence was key. Most employers don't consider an applicant from out of state unless the position is very specialized and the pool of prospects is very small. Make the move if you can handle it financially.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:06 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,776,567 times
This is the tough catch 22 with looking for work out of State. Most out of state jobs won't consider you, even if you can drive to the location in a few hours, but most people also can't up and move to another place with no job lined up.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:10 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,141,500 times
If you have about 6,000 dollars then go for it.

Old 08-19-2011, 03:31 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,913,395 times
I personally would never move to an expensive place with the hope of landing a job right now. It is taking people many many months, sometimes over a year just to find anything. It would be a risk, but if you do have the savings available, you are young and can always make that money back later in life. If this is a risk that you feel is worth taking, than this is the time to do it. Just be aware, the economy won't be on your side.

Old 08-19-2011, 03:32 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,913,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
If you have about 6,000 dollars then go for it.
I'm afraid that is just not enough. I blew through nearly 2K in my first month here. Even though 1K was for my car insurance for the year, the expenses can surprise you, even if you budget like crazy.

Old 08-19-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Just be aware, the economy won't be on your side.
The economy isn't really on my side in Michigan either. If I end up moving and work my ass off while there to find a job, that could definitely help a lot more than just applying from Michigan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search