Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 12:03 AM

1,081 posts, read 1,813,943 times

Advertisements

It took me six years to get a bachelor's degree in marketing. I graduated back in 2007, and I still, to this day, have no marketing job. I have worked retail and warehouse jobs since graduating because I never was able to take an internship in school. I couldn't find one that was paid and I had to work during school to pay the bills, of course. The only interviews I got coming out of school were in sales, retail manager trainee, or customer service but I was never able to get any of those positions either ( although, I made it to the final stage of interviews with a few sales jobs, but they went with someone with more experience). I'm not really interested in doing marketing for a career, at this point. I don't really remember a lot of what I learned in college because I haven't used the knowledge in so long, anyway.

My therapist keeps telling me that I would be less depressed if I get a job in marketing but I have told him I have been looking for a job in marketing for 6 years with no luck.He even thinks I should go back and get an MBA to improve my chances , but thats no guarantee. I have tried networking with family and friends, but none of them agree that I should work in marketing because they think I am too introverted and not outgoing enough to do so. They say they will help me, but they don't . I have an aunt who works in PR (a closely related field ) but she thinks marketing is not a good fit for me, so she won't help me.

I have tried going to job fairs, passing out business cards, and using linkedIn to find marketing related groups as well. Anyone else have this much trouble finding a marketing position with just a bachelors and no experience? Will anyone hire someone who has been out of school that long?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 12:22 AM

29,827 posts, read 24,917,786 times

And here we are today...

Just a thought... Marketing is one of the first areas of any business to see cuts during hard economic times. It's relatively unstable. Might be worth considering other areas. Just because you have a marketing degree doesn't mean you can apply to entry level jobs in other areas.

Old 10-22-2013, 12:29 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,689,690 times
Welcome to the club. I'm at 3 years. However my cousin has the same major and found work immediately from a lower tier university at that and his ex gf too(but she had connections)

Old 10-22-2013, 03:35 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,360,127 times
My husband somehow managed to work his way into the marketing department at his job.

He had a useless degree---not marketing and nothing related to it. Then he worked full-time, went back for classes at the college and did some unpaid work on the side for the experience. That unpaid work is what really helped him get the job he has had for over five years now. It was just something he did on the side so it didn't take up a lot of his time. Have you thought about doing something like that just to get your foot in the door?

We recently helped someone we know get a job because the guy was unemployed for a long time and had no idea what kind of job to even get into. We asked him if he wanted to do the social media stuff for my husband's website just on the side for a few months and even though he had no other experience doing it, six months later he landed a job doing social media for some company.

Old 10-22-2013, 04:23 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,513,348 times
Stop blaming your degree. Blame yourself.

You have too many excuses. Having any degree is a leg up...period.

You want to work in marketing? That's too broad field. Which area of marketing? How hard have you tried to land those jobs? Have you looked nationwide? Have you complied a list of marketing companies to target? Have you looked into the marketing dept of other industries?

You've been working retail and warehouse job? Okay, I'm going to assume that those companies have a marketing department somewhere. Have you tried to move internally to other positions that will get you closer to doing some marketing?

What exactly do you want to do in marketing? Can you specifically define it? If you can define it, you can develop a plan to get there. It may not be easy or quick, but it's certainly possible.

Identify a target company, get a admin job there, find out who the marketing people are and network from the inside.

FYI, my degree is in marketing. I didn't care about marketing at all so I''ve built a nice career for myself in finance. You don't need a "special" or "the right" degree to build a well paid career.

Last edited by charlygal; 10-22-2013 at 05:08 AM..

Old 10-22-2013, 05:39 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,100,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Stop blaming your degree. Blame yourself.

You have too many excuses. Having any degree is a leg up...period.
That's a little rough, don't ya think?

The guy's been in the market for 6 years. I think he's got a right to complain if he hasn't found something in that time.

Some degrees are just degrees, others lead to specific careers.

Old 10-22-2013, 06:08 AM

1,950 posts, read 3,528,742 times
An undergrad degree is the new HS diploma. Consider career counseling & really pinpoint your strengths and interests prior to applying to grad programs.

Old 10-22-2013, 06:15 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,752,695 times
Truly no one I know with the exception of Doctors and Lawyers uses their degree. Most people major in 'something' to have a degree and find a career they love.

If you want to get into marketing, start volunteering somewhere and use your marketing skills. Slowly build from there and soon you will have a career.

Old 10-22-2013, 06:27 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,214,288 times
Marketing is a crap major, but why aren't you out there hustling in sales?

Old 10-22-2013, 06:30 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,993,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Truly no one I know with the exception of Doctors and Lawyers uses their degree. Most people major in 'something' to have a degree and find a career they love.

If you want to get into marketing, start volunteering somewhere and use your marketing skills. Slowly build from there and soon you will have a career.
You must be hanging in the wrong circles, because many people use their degrees. I needed and use mine! Couldn't sit for my boards or get licensed without one.

Social workers, teachers, accountants, nurses, engineers.....I could keep going, but I need to finish my coffee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment