Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 03:37 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,939,949 times

Advertisements

I counsel students at a k-8th school. I am not employed by the school but I'm contracted out to them by the agency I work for. Well I've been here for 2 years (since '05) and I really enjoy my job. Lately though, I think I've been rubbing some people the wrong way (mainly teachers). You see, it's not that I'm doing anything wrong but I feel a strong sense of resentment from them (for so many reasons). The program that I'm in makes the school look really good, the principal is thrilled with having me there so I tend to get 'special treatment' for certain things (related to the program).

Well today, was probably the icing on the cake: last night, I got a phone call from the principal asking me to give up my office so that our new school resource officer to take that space. I wasn't surprised because the school is growing by leaps and bounds. It's an A rated school and we have a bunch of new teachers and students moving into this area. Anyway, I'm used to being moved around from room to room so that wasn't a problem. So this morning I packed up my stuff and had someone help me into the new place. I got there only to realize that I was taking over the teachers lounge! Here they are, wheeling out the fridge, microwaves, coffee pots and tables just to make room for me. The room is more like a true 'lounge' than a kitchen- plenty of space, cabinets and a sink area on one side and a carpeted office like area on the other but it's all one room. OMG I was inwardly jumping for joy but I had to feel bad when a gang of teachers acosted me and asked just what the hell was going on (you see teachers are different when they are not around children- LOL!) I told them I that I was being moved and this is as new to me as it is to them. Oh boy were they upset! Yikes, I'm still shocked to hear teachers use swear words- something so uncomfortable about that LOL!! Talk about if looks could kill....

Well I hope the sting will subside because school starts on Monday (we're in Florida). I feel bad about it but what can I do? I can't share the space because of confidentiality issues and according to the principal, there's no other place that I can use. How uncomfortable! I can't hide out all day from these people but I know a good number of them can't stand me. Yikes, how would you deal with this? Any words of encouragement will be helpful. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2007, 03:54 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,235,578 times
Here is how I would handle it.

I would remind myself that I am there to do a job, not to make friends. If I get moved and somebody does not like it they can take it up with the person responsible.

Old 08-16-2007, 04:06 PM

788 posts, read 4,068,440 times
I gotta go with the teachers on this one. They are always getting f**ked for some reason.

Old 08-16-2007, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingcali View Post
I gotta go with the teachers on this one. They are always getting f**ked for some reason.
I realize that. Believe me, I do. But I hate to be thought of as the target (or on the receiving end) of something I had no control over. The ironic part of it, is that I still need their cooperation when it comes to working with the students. I started to notice more and more they were not cooperating with me. It shouldn't be a personal issue and I hope that if they feel the way that they do, they would know who to direct it towards.

Old 08-16-2007, 04:36 PM

255 posts, read 821,579 times
Default Does it remind you of high school part 2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygyrl777 View Post
I realize that. Believe me, I do. But I hate to be thought of as the target (or on the receiving end) of something I had no control over. The ironic part of it, is that I still need their cooperation when it comes to working with the students. I started to notice more and more they were not cooperating with me. It shouldn't be a personal issue and I hope that if they feel the way that they do, they would know who to direct it towards.
Unfortunately, most people take things personally, even when it's not warranted. The subject of my ire in this situation would be the principal, who put you in this awkward position, and who surely must had some inkling of how the teachers would respond to you. The teachers can't vent at the principal, so you're their target, even though they probably know the loss of the lounge was the principal's decision. Frankly, I question the principal's judgement in this situation -- what are the teachers supposed to do? Did they get another comparable lounge?

Also, as I'm sure you're aware, "regular" employees resent contractors for myriad reasons, so you're already at a disadvantage due to your status.

I'd really like to offer some words of encouragement, but I'm going to have to be honest with you: what I see here is a difficult situation that doesn't have a strong likelihood of resolving in the way that you desire. The teachers may well continue to be uncooperative, and you have to figure out a way to still be effective in the face of adversity. You may have enjoyed the "special treatment" that you have received, but others who haven't received the same may be looking for reasons to make your life difficult. Maybe things will blow over with time, and with a substitute lounge.

You could try reminding the teachers that working with you, while they may not like you, is for the benefit of the students...but I am not confident that this will work, since teachers seem lose their idealism pretty quickly.

Old 08-16-2007, 05:04 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,520 posts, read 6,327,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygyrl777 View Post
I counsel students at a k-8th school. I am not employed by the school but I'm contracted out to them by the agency I work for. Well I've been here for 2 years (since '05) and I really enjoy my job. Lately though, I think I've been rubbing some people the wrong way (mainly teachers). You see, it's not that I'm doing anything wrong but I feel a strong sense of resentment from them (for so many reasons). The program that I'm in makes the school look really good, the principal is thrilled with having me there so I tend to get 'special treatment' for certain things (related to the program).

Well today, was probably the icing on the cake: last night, I got a phone call from the principal asking me to give up my office so that our new school resource officer to take that space. I wasn't surprised because the school is growing by leaps and bounds. It's an A rated school and we have a bunch of new teachers and students moving into this area. Anyway, I'm used to being moved around from room to room so that wasn't a problem. So this morning I packed up my stuff and had someone help me into the new place. I got there only to realize that I was taking over the teachers lounge! Here they are, wheeling out the fridge, microwaves, coffee pots and tables just to make room for me. The room is more like a true 'lounge' than a kitchen- plenty of space, cabinets and a sink area on one side and a carpeted office like area on the other but it's all one room. OMG I was inwardly jumping for joy but I had to feel bad when a gang of teachers acosted me and asked just what the hell was going on (you see teachers are different when they are not around children- LOL!) I told them I that I was being moved and this is as new to me as it is to them. Oh boy were they upset! Yikes, I'm still shocked to hear teachers use swear words- something so uncomfortable about that LOL!! Talk about if looks could kill....

Well I hope the sting will subside because school starts on Monday (we're in Florida). I feel bad about it but what can I do? I can't share the space because of confidentiality issues and according to the principal, there's no other place that I can use. How uncomfortable! I can't hide out all day from these people but I know a good number of them can't stand me. Yikes, how would you deal with this? Any words of encouragement will be helpful. Thanks!
I think the principal knew exactly what would happen. Thats why he put the school resource officer in your old office. Otherwise why didnt he just put the resource officer in the teachers lounge. Thats because he knew the teachers would be pissed. And rightly so.

You can be "special" or you can be nice. If it were me I would go to the teachers and try to work out a way to share the lounge till they can find an office for you. Im sure the scool has some locking file cabinets for your confidential stuff. At the very least have the coffee pots and fridge and microwave move back in so they can have a place to have lunch.

Old 08-16-2007, 05:18 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,465,801 times
It's not your problem. You're just doing what you were told to do. In a professional office environment if Betty is moved into an office by management, no one in their right mind would go to Betty and complain to her about it. The disgruntled workers would go to management to express their concerns about Betty being moved and then it better be a really good complaint and not a whine. That kind of stuff is just petty.

Old 08-16-2007, 07:19 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,093,179 times
In short: you are screwed. You will always be the one who caused them to lose their lounge. If and when they complain to you, I would complete agree with them that the situation is ridiculous, and encourage them to complain to the principal. Everyone needs a lounge/breakroom at work, and of course you need an office where confidentiality can be ensured.

Old 08-17-2007, 08:20 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,184,501 times
Is there a possibility that a corner of the room could be walled off with those half wall partitions so that the kids would have the feeling of privacy?

It's my feeling that the principle isn't too happy to have you there either and may be hoping that you will quit.

I think the teachers probably need a lounge much more that children that age need an on-site counselor. It must be a really big school!

Old 08-17-2007, 02:45 PM

I will definitely consider the partition I idea. Yes the school is huge. It used to be a middle school but then it went "k-8" last year. We went from about 800 students to almost 2,000. It's more like a small city, actually
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment