Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 10:54 AM

4,463 posts, read 6,229,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
It's not even close. What she is doing is legal. Selling weed is not. The equivalent would be him getting a job as a stripper. It doesn't matter if you consider it moral or not--It is legal.
Except that male strippers are not as in demand as female strippers. Its a matter of where I apply my sympathies becasue thats really what this whole thread is about, not legalities. Stripping is more exploitive than prostitution (towards the patron), not that I think prostitution is wholesome and good but that says alot about stripping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 11:49 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,973,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
If she had attended a highly regarded school it would have only helped the author for his story.
Exactly. A much bigger splash would be had with this article if this woman attended a top-notch school. The author could really validate the excruciating economic turmoil we are experiencing had this woman been a Harvard law grad. But instead, we are left wondering.

Old 09-15-2011, 02:34 PM

806 posts, read 2,884,793 times
From the article:

Quote:
Carla grew up in the Midwest and moved to the West Coast in the late ‘90s to fulfill her dream of earning her law degree. After graduation, she worked for nine years putting her degree to use, but she had entered the crowded legal profession at the wrong time. When she was laid off in 2009, she couldn't find work.
And:

Quote:
"Did I ever think I’d be taking my top off for rent money? No. I was in my mid-30s and had never danced before," said Carla, who asked that we use her stage name and withhold her identity and some personal details.
More:

Quote:
When she does take a new job, she's leaving the medium-sized city she's in, with no plans to return.
Seems easy enough to figure out where she could possibly be based on that. I think she left out her real name, and city where she's dancing because of the stigma that would follow her around once she's done dancing and looking for work in the legal profession. In this day and age of everyone having the ability to research you, prudence about your personal life and history is the best defense.
I have a different take on her omission of the law school attended. Either it's the same school as the article's author OR it would shame her peers from the same school and she's trying to save them from the embarrassment.

Old 09-15-2011, 03:21 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,973,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spookmeister View Post
I have a different take on her omission of the law school attended. Either it's the same school as the article's author OR it would shame her peers from the same school and she's trying to save them from the embarrassment.
That, or they didn't want where she graduated from to be the focus of the article. In other words, it didn't coexist well with the author's agenda. If the author brought up that Susie Q graduated from a school that has a very poor track record with grads and job placement, he would risk that being the focal point of the article rather than his obvious intention: convey more doom and gloom about the economy.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:18 AM

604 posts, read 1,521,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous51 View Post
I found this link on the MSNBC website. I couldn't believe it, but sadly enough, that's the economy we now live in.

Red Tape - Lawyer turns topless dancer to pay the bills

She must have graduated at the bottom of her class. Retard

Old 09-16-2011, 09:55 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,055,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
The article states that she worked in the legal profession for nine years, but it doesn't state that she was employed as a lawyer. If she has a law degree that is not worth anything, you can't be surprised.
I believe the article stated that she received her masters, and is still working on her law degree.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:16 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,270,611 times
For the folks concerned about where she went to law school, we are left wondering because that, combined with her profile pic, could identify her and she requested that certain details be kept private.

This is not a case of the public's need to know. Just saying.

However, that so many people find the story fascinating indicates that it did what it was written to do: shock and awe.

Old 09-16-2011, 06:07 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,913,395 times
Did this article really tell us anything new? The economy sucks. Deal with it.

Old 09-17-2011, 10:41 AM

604 posts, read 1,521,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous51 View Post
I found this link on the MSNBC website. I couldn't believe it, but sadly enough, that's the economy we now live in.

Red Tape - Lawyer turns topless dancer to pay the bills

She must have graduated at the bottom of her class. What an idiot.

Old 09-17-2011, 03:40 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skihikeclimb View Post
She must have graduated at the bottom of her class. What an idiot.
Or didn't go to a good school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment