Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2011, 09:02 PM

1,512 posts, read 8,168,425 times

Advertisements

I came upon a program on CNBC nearly a month ago, touting North Dakota's low unemployment rate, the lowest in the United States at around 3.5%. Where I live, the Greensboro-High Point area of North Carolina (Piedmont Triad), according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the unemployment rate for September 2011 is at 11%. Although currently employed, I often wonder if I became unemployed would I be able to find a full-time job or nearly full-time hours within two weeks to a months time, or would I have to wait longer. Would I have to possibly apply for unemployment just get by? With this said, how good or bad is the employment situation in your state and/or metropolitan area, from what you've experienced and/or others you may know? Are these statistics in-tune with the real job market? If necessary, would relocation to another market occur if ample employment opportunities were available? And, is this a great idea or bad one? Also, has your educational background detered or helped you get and keep gainful employment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 09:43 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
The numbers are all distorted and show almost meaningless information.

You need a month by month or at least quarterly data showing employed:
Year & Quarter ; Raw # employed ; / Total Payroll ; = Avg payroll/person ; +/- to prior year

THEN... you can compare contrast and fret over changes in the unemployed portion.
But without the other numbers you never know the under employed aspect or the drop outs.

hth

Old 11-01-2011, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
The numbers are all distorted and show almost meaningless information.

You need a month by month or at least quarterly data showing employed:
Year & Quarter ; Raw # employed ; / Total Payroll ; = Avg payroll/person ; +/- to prior year

THEN... you can compare contrast and fret over changes in the unemployed portion.
But without the other numbers you never know the under employed aspect or the drop outs.

hth
What?

Old 11-02-2011, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
What?
Typical headline: "unemployment edged up to 8.9% in the last quarter"
If you can... break down that statement to something useful.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Typical headline: "unemployment edged up to 8.9% in the last quarter"
If you can... break down that statement to something useful.
Like I said previously, what?

Old 11-02-2011, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
Where I live, the Greensboro-High Point area of North Carolina (Piedmont Triad), according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the unemployment rate for September 2011 is at 11%.

Even more detail here:
North Carolina unemployment rates, county-by-county :: WRAL.com

Although currently employed, I often wonder if I became unemployed would I be able to find a full-time job or nearly full-time hours within two weeks to a months time, or would I have to wait longer.

That depends entirely on your skills relative to need in your area at that time.
In a built up area (like the Triad) there is generally more need for an X than in other areas.

Would I have to possibly apply for unemployment just get by? Sure

With this said, how good or bad is the employment situation in your state and/or metropolitan area, from what you've experienced and/or others you may know?
It's bad just about everywhere.
And even where it isn't so bad... it's bad in other ways

Are these statistics in-tune with the real job market? No. The real job market is worse.
Why? Because that doesn't count the $30/hr welder getting $14/hr doing mufflers to get by.

If necessary, would relocation to another market occur if ample employment opportunities were available?
It happens every day

And, is this a great idea or bad one?
Whether it is or isn't, aside from dinner that night, won't be known for years.
But if you didn't have dinner last night... it looks real good.
hth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment