Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2011, 09:22 PM

56 posts, read 185,279 times

Advertisements

Ok, so here is my dilemma...

I recently graduated from college with my BA in May and have been searching for an opportunity that would help my career flourish, so to speak. In the meantime I have been doing soft sales for a dental company, full-time, hourly (12.50 an hour) but no benefits. I have been actively looking for another job because this particular position has a high turnover rate and I absolutely dread coming into work each morning. However, it is a "guaranteed" paycheck.

I just got offered a temp position (2-3 weeks) working for Bacardi in Miami. I would be working under one of their attorneys as an "executive secretary". I am really excited about this opportunity and have been so confused about what to do because I know upfront there is NO guarantee that this position will turn permanent. However, I am told there is a possibility. I was hired through a staffing agency that a friend of mine works for. I am wary about leaving my job for this, but if I do take it, and things work out...I'll be paid more and its with a solid company with room for growth. However, if things don't work out, I'll be unemployed again back at square one.

So, what do you guys think? Is it worth the risk?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 10:59 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Do you live in Miami now? If not do you have extensive savings(I mean over 10K)?

I don't even see how you could prove yourself in 2 to 3 weeks, most temp to perm jobs are jobs that start off as 2 to 3 month assignments.

I would say no from what you posted.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:21 PM

580 posts, read 2,293,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Do you live in Miami now? If not do you have extensive savings(I mean over 10K)?

I don't even see how you could prove yourself in 2 to 3 weeks, most temp to perm jobs are jobs that start off as 2 to 3 month assignments.

I would say no from what you posted.
I agree completely. If they only need somebody for 2 to 3 weeks, it's sounds like they only need some temporary help. Perhaps to cover for another employee's vacation.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:00 AM

56 posts, read 185,279 times
Thanks guys, I have never taken a job through a temp agency, so I have no idea how it works or the likelihood of it turning permanent. I just needed some feedback. I live with my mom about 40 mins from the job.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:44 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,526,677 times
Is there anyway you can take an extended vacation with the existing job? If not I would not take the chance on this temp job.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:50 AM
Ep-

2,080 posts, read 4,169,841 times
doesnt sound worth it

if youre living with the parents and dont have many bills might be something to explore though. if you gotta pay rent prob not worth it unless you got major bank stashed

Old 11-02-2011, 10:41 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
Is there anyway you can take an extended vacation with the existing job? If not I would not take the chance on this temp job.
This is what I would do, if it's possible. If you have vacation time, I would take that vacation time and do this temp job, get a feel for it, see if you like it, see if they are really in to your work and if they talk about a permanent position.

I would NOT leave that full time job, not now, not in this economy and especially not in Miami's economy. When I left Miami in May, South Florida's unemployment rate was double digits. That is not a good time to job hop on something not guaranteed.

If you are able to take a two week vacation, do it that way. You won't have time off but you won't lose, either.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:57 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,968,512 times
I agree with post 7, totally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment