Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 03:39 PM

15 posts, read 17,421 times

Advertisements

I just had a talk with my son who is almost 17 another day about his birthday. I was very disappointed to learn that he doesn’t want to attend college.
He wants to go into the military instead. However I have to say he has a very good idea and goals, but at the same time he’s uncertain.

He has numerous scuba diving certifications that he is eligible for. He’s very athlete and love being in water, rock climbing, wrestling, and other things.
So he’s divided between going into the navy to try get into Navy seals. His plan for if he didn’t get in or after he got out of seal is to take up deep water diving so he can learn how to do underwater welding and other related subject.

But at the same time, he wants to go into the army to learn helicopter piloting. He wants to try go into helicopter special force of some kind.

So far he have been leaning toward the army because he says he can get helicopter experience then go to commercial diving school much easier than try to go from navy then learning how to fly a helicopter.

I’d like some insights and suggestion. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2011, 10:05 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,786,816 times
Don't you have to be an officer to fly helicopters, meaning either the USMA or Officer Candidate School (both mean a four year degree)?

Is he college material? How are his academics? Has he taken algebra, trig, etc? How were his grades in those college entry courses?

If he has the academics for college, I'd still try to convince him. Maybe he has misconceptions about the college experience and the rewards of a useful college degree.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:47 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
OP,

College and traditional jobs aren't for everyone.

I have a friend who is a deep sea diver. He makes fantastic money, well over six figures, working 8 months per year.

I recommend sending him directly to one of the six accredited deep sea diving schools in the country.

If you were willing to pay for college, why not pay for deep sea diving school? It's his passion. Why postpone it?

If he still wants to go into the military afterwards, he'll be in a better position to get accepted as a Navy Seal.

After the military, he can then use his GI bill to go to helicopter school later.

(He's not likely to become a helicopter pilot via the army. The odds are very slim, slimmer than becoming a Navy Seal.)

Be aware, your son will be out at sea for months at a time. But he'd be away from home if he joined the military too.

Old 03-20-2011, 01:31 AM

Well from what I know, helicopter pilots aren’t officer, they’re warranty officer. Not sure about if college is required though.
Gus does pretty well in school with GPA in range of 3.0 but I can see he is getting burned out by it. He didn’t do as well as he used to. He used to really try to get the best grade but now he just do good enough without being lazy about it.
Besides that, Gus already says he’s not interested in college for now.

Thanks for a great idea hope.
I am surprise that becoming a helicopter is much slimmer than becoming a Navy Seal. I’ll be sure to let him know that next time I talk to him or when he gets home.

Old 03-20-2011, 06:13 AM

207 posts, read 501,272 times
What's wrong with the military? I know that it won't lead him down the same road, but honestly, ha e you seen the jobs being offered to graduates these days? Worst case, he'll get out of active duty in 3 years and can use the GI Bill to get an education, and no debt to you. If he can make it as a SEAL, he'll do well either way. He can become a contractor after he gets out, and really make serious money.

I would discourage you from telling him no. I wanted to join the Army during my first year of college after the terrorist attacks, and my parents dissuaded me, and gave me my greatest regret of life.

Old 03-20-2011, 07:22 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,368,508 times
There is nothing wrong with defering college if he doesn't know what he wants to be when he grows up. Going to college would be a waste if he doesn't have a path picked out. It sounds like he's thinking the military will be a good choice for him because of his interests. I suggest you try to support him in this choice and help him contact the right people to find out more about his interests. You could find some 'copter pilots who are now doing commercial work and used to be in the service and same with some divers. I'd also work on finding non-recruiter military people who are in the areas of interest to talk with.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:38 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMab View Post
I am surprise that becoming a helicopter is much slimmer than becoming a Navy Seal. I’ll be sure to let him know that next time I talk to him or when he gets home.
He has a better chance if he has already gone to deep sea diving school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_Someday View Post
I would discourage you from telling him no. I wanted to join the Army during my first year of college after the terrorist attacks, and my parents dissuaded me, and gave me my greatest regret of life.
It's not too late! You can still join!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
It sounds like he's thinking the military will be a good choice for him because of his interests.
It sounds to me like he wants to be a deep sea diver and is looking at the military as a way to pay for it because he thinks his mom will only pay for college.

Quote:
I suggest you try to support him in this choice and help him contact the right people to find out more about his interests. You could find some 'copter pilots who are now doing commercial work and used to be in the service and same with some divers. I'd also work on finding non-recruiter military people who are in the areas of interest to talk with.
Excellent advice.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:34 AM

1,697 posts, read 3,482,656 times
Quote:
There is nothing wrong with defering college if he doesn't know what he wants to be when he grows up. Going to college would be a waste if he doesn't have a path picked out. It sounds like he's thinking the military will be a good choice for him because of his interests. I suggest you try to support him in this choice and help him contact the right people to find out more about his interests. You could find some 'copter pilots who are now doing commercial work and used to be in the service and same with some divers. I'd also work on finding non-recruiter military people who are in the areas of interest to talk with.
Excellent advice, to which I would add that just about any major metropolitan police department has helicopter pilots that your son could talk to as well- that's another area he could explore a few years down the road.

Old 03-20-2011, 03:17 PM

There’s nothing wrong with going into the military. It was just a bit saddening for me because if he really wants, he could get in a very decent college. In my view, he would have worked hard for 12 years only to walk away from something that take only extra 4 years and could make a big impact on his life. But I can see him failing college since he isn’t even trying that hard in school any more. So this probably is a good idea.

On other hand I’m just really happy he has gave this a lot of thought and seems to come up with a good plan. I’d say he probably have just as good chance if not slightly better of being successful with his plan.

He haven’t went to deep diving school yet as he’s not old enough.

No I wasn’t going to pay for his college. He can get all kind of scholarship and finical help if he wants.

I’ll try to have him talk to some people and see if they can help him. He hasn’t really said exactly what he wants to do. He just says he wants to get a couple unusual skills that aren’t easy to come by and pick out those two.

Old 03-20-2011, 08:22 PM

30,360 posts, read 51,964,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_Someday View Post
Also possible they saved your life... just sayin'.

Sorry I don't have much advice for the OP, except that it sounds like he's got a decent plan - perhaps a bit lofty (SEALS and helicopter pilot being difficult to attain, as far as I know), but he does have a marketable skill in the diving. Regardless of his ultimate military assignment, at least he'll get the training for future jobs... and the money for school, if he decides to do that later. You're never too old for college, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment