Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 07:51 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,790,621 times

Advertisements

Why were you fired?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 04:33 PM

639 posts, read 1,072,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by q__r View Post
I don't like it when I write messages on the internet and then I find myself rejecting almost all the advice people give me.

It's not that I like to reject people's advice, it's just that most of the advice I get is advice I have already considered and dismissed, for one reason or another.

Anyway, I have already spent hours on this site and I need to study. I'll come back later and read new messages if there are any.
You have a "defeatist" attitude.. you brush aside the suggestions being made to you as unworkable. I think if you tried some of the things that you think won't work, you'd be surprised at the result.

Teacher-- if you get certified and you are willing to relocate, this may be a possibility.

Actuary-- Your reaction might be that it takes too long, they wouldn't take someone with your resume, that it's boring, that its... but the fact is the actuarial profession welcomes career changers, you can get a job if you pass a few exams, and it may not be as horrendous as you'd think

Masters Degree-- In a relevant subject it might help you find a job.

Many other things too...

More than the above I think it's just psychological.. you have to go from the attitude that nothing will work, and that you can only fail, to recognizing that if you are willing to open your mind up to new possibilities, give new things a chance, and most of all to not decide various options can never work, you might actually find a path out of your situation.

Old 11-04-2011, 02:51 PM

109 posts, read 160,096 times
Strangest post I've seen in awhile... I'll take a shot and say that the original poster, has schizoid personality disorder, or either a B-type personality disorder ?

Old 11-04-2011, 03:05 PM

632 posts, read 1,180,401 times
I skipped some of the posts so sorry if someone mentioned this but, I too have realized that simply sending out resumes is not going to cut it. Try this instead:

Be bold and actually go to the company you are applying for a position at and ask to speak with someone in HR, a manager, or whoever does the hiring. Personally hand him/her your resume if they accept and briefly mention who you are, why you want the job you want, and what your qualifications are. Follow up with them through email and be persistent, worst comes to worst they will think your annoying.

However, I do know that actually meeting someone so they can attach an event/face with a resume is key. If they remember you or like you they might place your resume higher above others or personally examine it and offer you an interview.

You may think this is stupid but just know somewhere in America (and the world) there are people just like you who don't even have the education you have and are having to struggle so you're not in this alone!

Be persistent, network, and be open to anything and everything and stay positive! I hope good things come your way soon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment