Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2015, 06:59 PM

360 posts, read 712,877 times

Advertisements

I've come to the conclusion that I would like to live in two different areas of the country, throughout the year. The only way I think I can pull that off, is to find a telecommuting job of some sort and work remotely from wherever.

I've got 8 years of sales experience and I love to travel to work, so I would think I could find SOMETHING that allows me to make deals, travel for work and work off a laptop and cell phone.

Unfortunately, the job I'm at now is a little old school with their thinking and even though all I do if work off a laptop and cell phone now, they want me to be in a physical office 5 days a week for some reason.

Does anyone have ideas on what type of industry I could look into? I'm in sales, but I can sell anything and have done both B2B and B2C sales. Are there any networking groups or online resources I could look into, so I could make this dream come true?

Any advice is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 12:42 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,546,021 times
Do you need to telecommute? How about jobs where you can just get assignments where you want to go and just sign up for the length of time you want?

Old 09-29-2015, 09:10 AM

177 posts, read 654,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iama30something View Post
I've come to the conclusion that I would like to live in two different areas of the country, throughout the year. The only way I think I can pull that off, is to find a telecommuting job of some sort and work remotely from wherever.

I've got 8 years of sales experience and I love to travel to work, so I would think I could find SOMETHING that allows me to make deals, travel for work and work off a laptop and cell phone.

Unfortunately, the job I'm at now is a little old school with their thinking and even though all I do if work off a laptop and cell phone now, they want me to be in a physical office 5 days a week for some reason.

Does anyone have ideas on what type of industry I could look into? I'm in sales, but I can sell anything and have done both B2B and B2C sales. Are there any networking groups or online resources I could look into, so I could make this dream come true?

Any advice is appreciated!
Look into the major healthcare companies...they are nation...no, worldwide and usually have a lot of telecommuting opportunities. When I worked for one, I had team members from coast to coast and most of them worked out of their home.

Old 09-29-2015, 01:43 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,490,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAllGood View Post
Look into the major healthcare companies...they are nation...no, worldwide and usually have a lot of telecommuting opportunities. When I worked for one, I had team members from coast to coast and most of them worked out of their home.
+1. I work for a large health insurer and a good amount of my coworkers work from home, myself included. I also like moving around the country (hence the username) and this has been SUCH an asset. I would truly take a $10-15k pay cut just for this perk but luckily they pay well too. Just make sure you get that job while you're in a high cost area so you can go in with a high salary and move to a lower cost area later. You don't wanna be the guy hired in Idaho who moves to NYC!

If you're in sales, you have a lot of options out there. Many of my friends in sales work remotely, and for many different types of companies. Especially if you're in an area where there may not be an office in the territory.

Old 09-29-2015, 07:50 PM

23,547 posts, read 24,049,201 times
Almost any technology industry field sales position would allow this option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment