Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 09:36 PM

1,891 posts, read 2,531,250 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I'm currently living in Honolulu and want to move to the mainland but I need a job first. I am in the accounting field, but I don't have a CPA and I don't think I will take the test again. My resume is rather average. It's been about 10 years since I graduated with my degree and have experience in a couple of private firms and 2 CPA firms and am currently working in state government.

I am looking to relocate somewhere on the west coast but I need to secure a job offer before moving. I plan on applying for federal jobs and private sector jobs. Does anyone else have experience securing a job so far away? I read back about 20 pages and I found a few threads about this saying that they have phone interviews and even webcam interviews. Did anyone get hired without an in person interview before? It would be difficult and expensive to fly to the mainland just for an interview.

I know this will be tough for me being 2500 miles away. I believe I can handle the other relocations challenges but getting a job is what I'm most worried about. Any other help or tips would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 01:01 AM

C'mon folks, there's no one with any advice/experience? I really am seriious about this. I feel like the unwanted stepchild here.

Old 10-25-2011, 04:20 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,678,834 times
With only an average resumé and no CPA accreditation, the chances of your landing even an interview long distance isn't very likely, which is possibly one of the reasons you haven't received any responses thus far. Relocation is expensive and, unless you can get yourself set up and support yourself in a new place for a few months, best advice probably is to stay put for now. Have you actually applied for any jobs on the west coast or are you just assuming the barriers in the way?

Old 10-25-2011, 09:22 AM

344 posts, read 1,051,565 times
I don't have experience but I'm in the process of doing the same type of thing. I live in the Northeast and would love to acquire a job 1000+ miles away in a warmer part of the US (FL, TX, CA)

But I've read that it's quite difficult to obtain a job out of state. Which is a shame because everyone advises that you should have a job before moving.

I guess if I don't have any success I can just move somewhere without a job and give myself 3 months to find one. OR I could land a job where I currently live and then look, or get a job for a company with multiple locations, and then ask for a transfer after 1 year.

Just trying to throw some ideas out there.

Old 10-25-2011, 12:16 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,557,772 times
Here's what I would suggest:

1. for this level, please don't expect any company would pay for relocation. I would highly recommend you to get the CPA though if you want to continue your career in accounting

2. Move to mainland first, then look for a job. It makes things a whole lot easier. Move to Houston, Dallas or Austin where housing is cheap and jobs are plenty.

3. If you aren't planning to do 2, then at least plan to pay for your own flight tickets to attend interviews because again, for that kind of position, companies aren't likely to pay for your travel.

4. This one is to both you and Ronnie. Narrow down a city you want to go, then set up a mailbox (not PO box) there and set up a local phone number via Google Voice. This way, people will think you are local but again, you need to be ready to pay for your own travel expense.

Old 10-25-2011, 01:50 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,675,099 times
You will find that trying to get a mainland job when on Hawaii is so much easier than trying to get a Hawaii job while on the mainland. Many mainland employers realize that due to the bad economy, people are willing to relocate for employment. They also know that out of desperation, when offered a job, most lwill take it and show up. Even today, employers on Hawaii are still finding that only a small percent will actually move to Hawaii to accept a job offer. I know several who left Hawii looking for jobs on the mainland and each did relocate when a offer was made. But I also know several employers on Hawaii that are on their 4th and 5th applicant who was offeed a job but didn;t make the move.

Use the reasons Hawaii employers are reluctant to hire mainlanders as a way to hedge your chances of getting a job on the mainland. The biggest is nNo ties to the island so not sure if they are dreamers or true apllicants. Mainland employers are probably now facing what Hawaii employers have faced for decades. All you need to do is present a reasonable circumstance to make that employer belive your serious about moving. I find that's the biggest obstical people from Hawaii face.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:30 PM

OK everyone thanks for the replies. I haven't applied for any jobs yet, just started looking at job websites like Indeed, Simplyhired, USAjobs, etc. I see a few jobs where i could qualify but being so far away is a major hinderance. I'm just assuming the barriers based on what I've read and my experience in job hunting before locally.

I definitely don't expect relocation expenses. I took the CPA test twice and almost passed twice but I don't know if I could go throught that hell again. I actually though of moving first and then finding a job but I always hear people say don't move without a job especially in this economy. I actually though of moving to Houston based on my research but I've never been to that part of the country so I think it would be a big culture shock.

I think I may be screwed here. Either I take a big chance and move without a job lined up or stay put for now. I grew up in Hawaii but my biggest gripes are 1) isolation and lack of opportunities 2) high COL (i may never buy a house) 3) the weather (yes I don't like it hot all the time) in that order.

Many hawaii locals go to college on the mainland and then stay up there to work for a while. Then in their 30s when they're ready to have kids they move back to hawaii. I'm kind of doing the opposite. Now I'm kicking my self for not staying on the mainland after college to work.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
You will find that trying to get a mainland job when on Hawaii is so much easier than trying to get a Hawaii job while on the mainland. Many mainland employers realize that due to the bad economy, people are willing to relocate for employment. They also know that out of desperation, when offered a job, most lwill take it and show up. Even today, employers on Hawaii are still finding that only a small percent will actually move to Hawaii to accept a job offer. I know several who left Hawii looking for jobs on the mainland and each did relocate when a offer was made. But I also know several employers on Hawaii that are on their 4th and 5th applicant who was offeed a job but didn;t make the move.

Use the reasons Hawaii employers are reluctant to hire mainlanders as a way to hedge your chances of getting a job on the mainland. The biggest is nNo ties to the island so not sure if they are dreamers or true apllicants. Mainland employers are probably now facing what Hawaii employers have faced for decades. All you need to do is present a reasonable circumstance to make that employer belive your serious about moving. I find that's the biggest obstical people from Hawaii face.
That's interesting. I guess I should include that info in my coverletter. I just don't know how I'll ever be able to visit the mainland for more than 1 or 2 interviews. I was hoping someone would say that they got hired without an in person interview (phone or webcam instead) but I guess no one did. This is looking more hopeless every day. I may just have to take the biggest risk of my life and move without a job. If worse comes to worse I'll try to land a waiter job or something to pay the bills.

All the people I hear moving to the mainland must be working in high demand fields or have skills that are needed. I don't know how an average joe like me will do it.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:42 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,551,250 times
I see a lot of Hawaii license plates in California. I'd suggest ditching the car in Hawaii and avoiding the expense of shipping it here.

It must be outrageous.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Kim View Post
I see a lot of Hawaii license plates in California. I'd suggest ditching the car in Hawaii and avoiding the expense of shipping it here.

It must be outrageous.
I think it's about $1000 to ship a car to the west coast. I'd rather do that than sell my car in Hawaii and then have to buy another car after I move. My car still has a lot of good years left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment