Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 02:14 AM

29,823 posts, read 24,913,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
How about creating products that help improve people's lives? You get a decent paycheck and fulfill what you want to do. It's what kept Steve Jobs going. He wanted to improve life for the general population at an individual level.
Easier said than done. Outright stealing is the norm. You have a window of about 6 months to perhaps a year to actually make any money on your little idea before someone steals it. After that, you better have something new in the pipeline. Creating the idea is half the battle anyways. When it comes to manufacturing your goods, it's all about how cheap and efficiently you can make it. Actually making something is the easiest part. And patents don't mean crap, and they are extremely expensive to defend. Once an idea makes it to China, where patents aren't recognized, your idea is no longer yours, and you will see very little financial reward after that. More than likely, you will loose more money than you will ever make.

Basically, I realized long ago, being the little guy anyways, creating products just doesn't pay. Some get lucky, usually for small little trinket ideas that are simple, yet marketable. I've had more luck making high end products on my own time and selling them. For the cost of the material and my time, I was basically working for about minimum wage, but it's still something I enjoy. It's a loosing battle when a company in China can make a product cheaper than I can even buy the material. The system has been rigged against us in the States for years. That's why all the common household items say "made in China" on them, and for the most part, the idea was actually born here in this country. If we ever have a free market again, I would invest more time, but these days, I can do much better at my own job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 02:37 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Easier said than done. Outright stealing is the norm. You have a window of about 6 months to perhaps a year to actually make any money on your little idea before someone steals it. After that, you better have something new in the pipeline. Creating the idea is half the battle anyways. When it comes to manufacturing your goods, it's all about how cheap and efficiently you can make it. Actually making something is the easiest part. And patents don't mean crap, and they are extremely expensive to defend. Once an idea makes it to China, where patents aren't recognized, your idea is no longer yours, and you will see very little financial reward after that. More than likely, you will loose more money than you will ever make.

Basically, I realized long ago, being the little guy anyways, creating products just doesn't pay. Some get lucky, usually for small little trinket ideas that are simple, yet marketable. I've had more luck making high end products on my own time and selling them. For the cost of the material and my time, I was basically working for about minimum wage, but it's still something I enjoy. It's a loosing battle when a company in China can make a product cheaper than I can even buy the material. The system has been rigged against us in the States for years. That's why all the common household items say "made in China" on them, and for the most part, the idea was actually born here in this country. If we ever have a free market again, I would invest more time, but these days, I can do much better at my own job.
I hear ya. I'm in software, so I don't think about all the additional things to consider with physical products. With software, you can develop in parallel, prototype ideas, and test markets so cheaply. As a result, i don't consider it an obstacle. And "Made in China" doesn't mean the same thing with software, lol... especially since once you get it write, you just copy it.

Thanks for shedding some light.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:38 AM

49 posts, read 100,255 times
Quote:
Many of us haven't quite fulfilled our dream career yet. We're hoping that we're still on the right path and that your journey will eventually get us there.

1. What do you currently do?
2. What did you originally want to do?
3. If different, what do you want to do when you eventually grow up (figuratively speaking, ofcourse)?

1. I own various small businesses, but my core job is software consulting.
2. I originally wanted to work in computer forensics.
3. When I grow up, I want to do research in Human-Computer Interaction (either academically or in the private sector).
1. Stock broker.
2. Coffee ship's owner.
3. Pretty childish but when I'm around 13, I want to become the ruler of underground. Well, no one force you to take a loan shark or use drug or gamble. So if you decide to do that then take responsibility of your action. Of course, I will make sure the client can at least qualify on something because needlessly killing is bad for business. I can organize crime, give job to poor people, create pressure on the corrupted government about insurance, tax and most of the things that can give everyone at least a decent life to start with. Ideal of mafia world. I should move or born into Russia instead of Asia, lol.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:30 AM

753 posts, read 1,482,781 times
Quote:
Many of us haven't quite fulfilled our dream career yet. We're hoping that we're still on the right path and that your journey will eventually get us there.

3. If different, what do you want to do when you eventually grow up (figuratively speaking, ofcourse)?
Currently: work in education at a zoo, educational consulting, taught high school science for 17 years
Originally: doctor, then science teacher
Future: more informal science education-get more time at the zoo, work at a science museum as well, work at or own a company that does science parties or animal parties for little kids

Old 03-20-2012, 06:54 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,793,602 times

1. I'm an unemployed investment manager
2. Film Production or sports announcing
3. I just want to make enough money to support a family and eventually retire. My situation is a disaster, so at this point, just stop the bleeding.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:41 PM

417 posts, read 825,147 times
Quote:

1. I own various small businesses, but my core job is software consulting.
2. I originally wanted to work in computer forensics.
3. When I grow up, I want to do research in Human-Computer Interaction (either academically or in the private sector).
1. Part-time work providing social, cultural, and correctional services to young offenders. It's not very solid in terms of hours...

2. Ever since I was a child I wanted to be a Novelist. I still want to be a novelist, and would love to create a best-selling book. The latter probably isn't too likely, but I think the former will happen in the next 2-3 years. I've already got one book finished, but my real bread and butter "hopeful" is still in the works. I feel good about its chances. With regards to my degree, i wanted to work as a probation, parole, or community officer.

3. marine biologist, farmer, philosophy professor, or Secret Service Spy.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:59 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,384,203 times
[quote=NJBest;22011482]Many of us haven't quite fulfilled our dream career yet. We're hoping that we're still on the right path and that your journey will eventually get us there.

1. What do you currently do? Proposal Coordinator (sales support)
2. What did you originally want to do? Marketing Manager

Growing up I wanted Beyonce's job. I wanted to sing, dance, act, write, produce perform. But I had terrible stage fright and decided on college and a "stable" career instead. Probably one of the biggest regrets of my life because I am so unhappy, lost and confused career-wise. I think in the end, I am not cut out for corporate America.

*deep sigh*

Old 03-20-2012, 07:29 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,464,091 times
1. Translator (English/Persian)
2. Physician while growing up but then decided I don’t want to sell my soul to the medical system, then a therapist but then decided I don’t want to deal with other people’s problems, then a linguistics researcher but didn’t what to sell my soul to academia, then a translator/interpreter.
3. Free-lance American Sign Language/English interpreter for the deaf-blind and tutor for blindness and deaf-blindness independence skills

Old 03-21-2012, 09:04 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,776,567 times
1. Stagehand in Musical Theatre
2. Actor
3. Still want to be an Actor. Darn it for me wanting to succeed at the hardest career on Earth.

Other jobs I wouldn't mind doing but can't really achieve either.
1. Interpreter (UN or another NGO)
2. Seismologist
3. Meteorologist

Old 03-21-2012, 10:15 AM

18,728 posts, read 33,396,751 times
Never had an idea but wanted to save the world in some way. Couldn't do algebra, which cut out a lot of ideas (vet, ecologist).
Loved house design and carpentry, was terrible at both.
Lucked into an editing job and didn't know how to or want to parlay that into a journalism career (from which I'm sure I'd be quite laid off long ago).
Ended up working in mental health, and looking forward to retirement, or at least maybe part-time with benefits in three years.
Dunno what I'd like to do after working for so long to make a living. Do nuthin' as long as I felt like it to learn if I can be self-motivated. I'd like to do something helping animals or rescue groups (besides adopting multiple old mutts as I do now). Might like to teach ESL or tutor literacy but only as a volunteer, that is, want to work with refugees and not foreign students.
I love geology and geography and have no idea how to be involved in that except my current chosen path, which it to take horseback trips in the Mountain West on vacation.
There's no earned living in anything I really like, or I have no skills in areas that I really find of interest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment