Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 11:54 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,591,728 times

Advertisements

I'm a senior software engineer, and I've been in the tech industry since around 1999. I'm 38, and that covers basically my entire adult life. In the beginning it was easy to stay motivated, because there was nowhere to go but up. I also loved technology. It took me some years of struggling earlier in my career, but it finally paid off, and I finally was able to become a full fledged software engineer (via DevOps). At this point in my career, I can pretty much work anywhere and can generally get a decent salary. But I almost feel any move I would make now would just be a marginal step.

The thing about me is I'm a technology enthusiast first, and a tech worker 2nd. I genuinely love technology, and I love working with new technology. I mostly enjoy the type of work I do. and while I don't know everything, I do know a lot. Meanwhile I'm seeing so many advances in AI, machine learning, Natural Language processing, blockchain technology, etc. And I ask myself "why can't I make a career out of any of this stuff"? Don't get me wrong, I love that as a DevOps guy I can be a practioner. And for my job I'm concerned about things that most people aren't (performance analysis, monitoring, end to end automation, automation at scale,etc). But I kind of feel like I'm going through the motions.

With that said I can't think of anything I want to do anymore career wise. There is literally nowhere further up to go. I don't have any desire to go into management. And I'm already a senior engineer. Sure I could try to become a Principal Engineer or some sort of Architect. But those things aren't that much of a leap from what I'm doing now.

With that said, I almost feel like it's time for me to retire in the next 5 years. I've been doing very well with my money, and I'm one of those people who got into blockchain technology back around 2014, so I'm sitting pretty now. I also am pretty cheap, so despite getting a great salary, I don't have a big fancy house, and I don't even drive (so no car note). Should I try to retire in the next 5 years, or should I explore my career more? Or should I try to change my career track and land a job in these other fields (ML, NLP, blockchain, etc)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2017, 11:59 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,957,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
I'm a senior software engineer, and I've been in the tech industry since around 1999. I'm 38, and that covers basically my entire adult life. In the beginning it was easy to stay motivated, because there was nowhere to go but up. I also loved technology. It took me some years of struggling earlier in my career, but it finally paid off, and I finally was able to become a full fledged software engineer (via DevOps). At this point in my career, I can pretty much work anywhere and can generally get a decent salary. But I almost feel any move I would make now would just be a marginal step.

The thing about me is I'm a technology enthusiast first, and a tech worker 2nd. I genuinely love technology, and I love working with new technology. I mostly enjoy the type of work I do. and while I don't know everything, I do know a lot. Meanwhile I'm seeing so many advances in AI, machine learning, Natural Language processing, blockchain technology, etc. And I ask myself "why can't I make a career out of any of this stuff"? Don't get me wrong, I love that as a DevOps guy I can be a practioner. And for my job I'm concerned about things that most people aren't (performance analysis, monitoring, end to end automation, automation at scale,etc). But I kind of feel like I'm going through the motions.

With that said I can't think of anything I want to do anymore career wise. There is literally nowhere further up to go. I don't have any desire to go into management. And I'm already a senior engineer. Sure I could try to become a Principal Engineer or some sort of Architect. But those things aren't that much of a leap from what I'm doing now.

With that said, I almost feel like it's time for me to retire in the next 5 years. I've been doing very well with my money, and I'm one of those people who got into blockchain technology back around 2014, so I'm sitting pretty now. I also am pretty cheap, so despite getting a great salary, I don't have a big fancy house, and I don't even drive (so no car note). Should I try to retire in the next 5 years, or should I explore my career more? Or should I try to change my career track and land a job in these other fields (ML, NLP, blockchain, etc)?
Why don't you start a graduate degree specifically focusing on AI or VR and become the leading edge of those new technologies? Think about breakthrough fields where that tech will make a huge difference in the next twenty or fifty years. Start attending international conferences where these ideas are being pushed to the limit. I'm attending a conference in Austin in Feb: all about wearables. I'm hoping it will expose me to a multitude of wearable tech that perhaps I haven't encountered elsewhere.

Old 12-18-2017, 12:03 PM

6,230 posts, read 6,926,002 times
I never had one to begin with. I work an hourly job where I clock in at a certain time and leave on the dot at a certain time.

Old 12-18-2017, 12:08 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,591,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Why don't you start a graduate degree specifically focusing on AI or VR and become the leading edge of those new technologies? Think about breakthrough fields where that tech will make a huge difference in the next twenty or fifty years. Start attending international conferences where these ideas are being pushed to the limit. I'm attending a conference in Austin in Feb: all about wearables. I'm hoping it will expose me to a multitude of wearable tech that perhaps I haven't encountered elsewhere.
That may be kind of hard, since I don't even have a bachelor degree now. I do know of this nano degree in machine learning, that I may try to sign up for. But it seems time consuming, and I rarely have a lot of time to myself with my normal work stuff.

Old 12-18-2017, 12:39 PM

797 posts, read 3,581,226 times
Retire if you can financially! I am 37 now and will be able to retire comfortably within the next 5-7 years (latest age to retire would be 45) due to the investments I have made and the rental property portfolio I have built. Life is too short to work for someone else! If you have the means to do it, do it! I know I am!

Old 12-18-2017, 07:57 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,957,978 times
Quote:
That may be kind of hard, since I don't even have a bachelor degree now. I do know of this nano degree in machine learning, that I may try to sign up for. But it seems time consuming, and I rarely have a lot of time to myself with my normal work stuff.
What I mean is that if you're ready to wrap up your current work, look at what interests you and which is not part of your current job, and find a way to move in that direction. There are many ways to do this, but getting involved at some level - even as an independent study - will get you started in the right direction. I suggest you give yourself a two year and five year goal related to the next evolution of your interests.

Old 12-19-2017, 05:29 AM

23,310 posts, read 18,865,187 times
I was one of those who felt "lucky" to work at something I was passionate about for the majority of my career. That devotion carried me though many many tough times. Kept my eye on the big picture and the satisfaction from doing work that felt important really helped me ignore or withstand the "small stuff". So much of what people complain about in their working lives just didn't matter to me. It also made some decisions about where to head next a bit easier. There was always a goal ahead, so I didn't take jobs for the wrong reasons then regret them. They all contributed to the career, just in different ways.

However, once I really did lose that sense of purpose because of becoming disheartened and disillusioned, I really was left on the side of the road so-to-speak. Never been very motivated by advancement, more money, perks, status or authority, usually I felt satisfied if I was doing work that mattered and that I was well suited for, which happened to be natural resource protection for federal agencies. I finally retired last year. People usually ask why. I could say I had enough years in and enough of a nest egg saved up, but the real reason was from a plain old broken heart. I saw nothing ahead that I could stand any longer. Frankly, being associated in any way with our current Congress and government made me physically sick. I'm usually not a sad sack cry baby, but more and more often I found myself pulling over to fight back the tears on the morning commute.

I envy those of you who do NOT have much devotion to a cause. Those who can keep their working life somewhat superficial may be the blessed ones. With luck you will never find yourself typing a web forum post at 3:30 am because you can't sleep knowing your country is being represented by a despotic fool.

Old 12-19-2017, 05:59 AM

34,092 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
I'm a senior software engineer, and I've been in the tech industry since around 1999.
I'm 38, and that covers basically my entire adult life.

Should I try to..., or should I...explore my career more? Or should I....?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midlif..._vs._stressors

Ultimately... which you choose really won't matter all that much if...
if it can meet your needs and either incorporates satisfaction or allows you the time
and resources needed to find satisfaction elsewhere.

Old 12-19-2017, 07:34 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,598,681 times
Quote:
I reached that same place in a different field at about the same age. It's pretty great if you think about it. Unless I get disabled with a stroke or really mess up, like corpse in the basement level error, I probably won't ever have to worry not being able to make a living. And, even if I worked 12 hours a day every day, I'm not going to earn substantially more than I do now so I don't need to bother with ambition. I've taken up hiking, doing more of the cooking at home, got some volunteer activities, and gone back to drinking heavily when I have occasion.

Old 12-19-2017, 07:41 AM

3,402 posts, read 3,578,000 times
I personally think it doesn't matter because at the end of life, we all die, and it doesn't matter how much money you have in the bank because you are not going to bring it with you to your grave. Is good that you found a career that you really enjoyed, so maybe is time for you to do something to give back to the community?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment