Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 02:11 PM

771 posts, read 1,396,076 times

Advertisements

Been working in a job for seven months now and I feel so unchallenged and I am really starting to get EXTREMELY bored. So much that my quality of work is declining, because I just don't want to do it. The first few months were ok, because I was learning the ropes but now I am just so bored and unchallenged.

Not to brag, but I am very intelligent and very creative and if those needs aren't fulfilled I have a hard time dedicating myself. I think the problem is I am the creative type so I need something that can challenge that. Right now my job is mostly reading resumes and just managing/inputting data in a database. Not very inspiring. I'm starting the job search process but in the meantime how does one cope?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 02:30 PM

2,682 posts, read 4,480,983 times
I'm in the same boat and have been before.

I used to motivate myself by applying to jobs and putting effort in to that, knowing that if I get another job I can be out of here. Also, I used to have messenger on my computer and I would talk to friends. One time I befriended this woman from a fitness website and we just emailed back and forth about our lives. It was interesting to get to know someone and helped pass the time.

I know what you mean though. At my current job, every month we do the same tasks and it just goes around and round in a circle. I'm starting to get really tired of it.

Old 12-29-2011, 02:35 PM

771 posts, read 1,396,076 times
Thanks for the response. I actually gchat too. I'm confident I will find something soon, just get so darned bored!

Old 12-29-2011, 02:38 PM

475 posts, read 1,370,966 times
I would suggest something odd. Sleep less. It's amazing how a tired brain conforms to the doldrums of everyday office stuff. Of course, it helps if you have other interests and as you said, spend time applying to other places on your own time. But don't really let your work suffer, you can't have that thought "you don't want to do it" in your head everyday, or it is going to show. You could instead pro-actively see if there wasn't some other work you could take on. I carved a niche for myself by volunteering within a group, anywhere I could. And not in a showboating sense, just talking to people and finding out what they need, sometimes in different depts. I understand that it's not always possible but maybe the idea is find somewhere a bit more flexible with more variety.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:20 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChikidII View Post
Right now my job is mostly reading resumes and just managing/inputting data in a database. Not very inspiring. I'm starting the job search process but in the meantime how does one cope?
Traditionally with alcohol, though benzos are also popular.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:32 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,630,964 times
Post more on this forum. It's challenging and stimulating, plus a prerequisite to being a member on the unemployment forum is the ability to correctly spell deoxyribonucleic or you are out of here.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:48 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,672,411 times
Drugs, mostly.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:50 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
I have that problem too. I can either be lazy and do lots of work, or just hang out. It is up to me. So, I have been a bit lazy this week.

Maybe you should take some classes on line to increase your employability, and have something productive to do in your down time.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:38 PM

191 posts, read 120,178 times
I find myself feeling the same way. I have a job that employs me full time with excellent benefits and a good work schedule. BUT, I am a person that is constantly needing to think and analyze and have a project or a "puzzle" to work on, which my current employment rarely provides me. So, I cope with projects of my own. I organize and clean and work on things that give me the chance to change the very dull day. I am currently working on the filing room/storage area. I am labeling and even color coordinating my folders. I know pathetic, but I have a family that depends on me being employed and currently that is what I am.....employed. Unhappy most of the time because sometimes I just want to run as fast as my legs can take me but oh well. Hang in there and Good Luck! P.S. I have also been job searching because if the opportunity arises, I am OUTTA THERE!!!!

Old 12-29-2011, 09:48 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,545,426 times
I can understand how you feel. Before my small-ish company merged with a larger one, I had a decent amount of opportunities to bring creativity to my work. I could initiate projects, change processes, improve how things were done, etc, and the culture of my company supported that.

Now I am part of a much larger bureaucratic organization. Everyone must stay in his or her role. No thinking outside of the box is allowed. New ideas need to get considered for approval by three or four layers of management before they are tossed aside...only to be suggested again by those same managers, who then pretend like they came up with the ideas themselves.

Fortunately, I can still apply analytic and creative thinking to some of my tasks, so I am not completely bored.... but I definitely understand how this can be a downer for people who don't have a chance to use those skills in a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment