Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How people-oriented of a work environment do you like?
Solitary 6 28.57%
More solitary than social 9 42.86%
Equal mix 3 14.29%
More social than solitary 3 14.29%
Social 0 0%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 02:16 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,384,553 times

Advertisements

How social or interactive do you like your work environment? Do you like to work alone? Do you like to be constantly surrounded by people?

My ideal mix is 6 hours of solo work to about 2 hours of social/meeting work, at the most! I get really bored during meetings, and many are unproductive. I like longer stretches of uninterrupted concentration. I prefer to periodically get up to get more hot water for a cup of tea, BS a little with people I like, or send a funny YouTube in some cases.

Take the poll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 02:29 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,203,003 times
I assume we are talking within the workplace, not as a job function, such as customer service.

Id prefer zero meetings, and limited and only absolutely neccessary communication.

I feel that the more people involved in crap, the longer it takes to get anything accomplished, and the more wheels that are spun.

Old 05-21-2012, 02:42 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,384,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
I assume we are talking within the workplace, not as a job function, such as customer service.

Id prefer zero meetings, and limited and only absolutely neccessary communication.

I feel that the more people involved in crap, the longer it takes to get anything accomplished, and the more wheels that are spun.
Actually, in your ideal job function within the workplace.

Could be teller in a bank.
Could be investment analyst at a brokerage house.
Could be a medical floor nurse in a hospital.
Could be carpenter working for a housing developer.

So, it would basically describe both.

Old 05-21-2012, 03:14 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,203,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Actually, in your ideal job function within the workplace.

Could be teller in a bank.
Could be investment analyst at a brokerage house.
Could be a medical floor nurse in a hospital.
Could be carpenter working for a housing developer.

So, it would basically describe both.
Outside of teller at a bank, I think I could handle any of the other 3, given I had the skills (also, I have an adversion to blood, needles and germs, so, that would be why I couldnt handle medical). I actually went to school to be something like an investment analyst, but, sadly that never panned out.

Old 05-21-2012, 04:01 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,274,376 times
I chose "more solitary than social."

I like talking to people, but I do that when I interview them for articles. I cannot stand interruptions, the thought of having a boss at this stage of my life makes my skin crawl, and I don't have a lot of patience for repeating myself, cleaning up other people's messes (unless I'm editing their bad writing), or being micromanaged, so I freelance.

When I want company, I call friends, family, or the SO.

Old 05-21-2012, 04:25 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,548,933 times
I prefer "more solitary than social."

In my work I have to interact with a lot of people, as much of my work is done in teams. I work with a lot of women, so there's constant drama. Even if I'm not involved, I just hate it. The ideal for me per week would be 39 hours solitary and 1 hr for meetings and other interactions.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:27 AM

5,120 posts, read 16,603,547 times
Depends on the people I might be interacting with. If I like them, I'd say an equal mix of solitary and social. But I will say I perform better at work having my own office with real walls and a door rather than cubicle land. I hated that. Too distracting...and I consider myself a pretty social person.

When ironing out details, I prefer interaction vs emails/IMs. The back and forth in emails/chatting can get confusing when there are more than 2 peeople contributing to the communication. And in some circumstances, that leads to more questions that need to be asked to even more people. Just easier to do that in person.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:28 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,748,182 times
Heh, interesting results.

They say a lot...

Old 05-22-2012, 11:32 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,748,182 times
That said, I chose solitary.

It takes way too much energy to suck up to people (which that's all communication is about in the work place, because everyone wants their egos stroked).

It's not worth the ups and downs that it all brings along with it.

Unfortunately, a true solitary environmnt is damn near impossible to have.

Last edited by 313Weather; 05-22-2012 at 12:31 PM..

Old 05-22-2012, 11:42 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,448,667 times
I am introverted and have a solitary job in stock equity research. After 5 years of this, I can say that I prefer a mix. 45-50 hours per week of work with only 5 hours of human interaction is very numbing. Although I don't particularly like teamwork, I enjoyed speaking with other department associates in my prior job and I now look forward to having colleagues from other cities come in to meet with me. I'm pretty close to inventing imaginary friends just to take some of the monotony out of my day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment