Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 04:21 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach_B View Post
I have a great schedule, get off at 4pm, take off whenever, everyone is nice, good benefits, it's easy, BUT it is sooooooooooooo boring and I don't make much money (<$15 hr). I spend my day playing online, on my phone, listening to the radio, looking out the window, & staring at the clock. I get maybe 15 minutes of work. I feel like my degree was a waste--I want to DO something.

I'm trying to decide if I should try to get out or not. Sure, the flexibility is great but I might die of boredom if I have to do this for the next 30 years. I feel more useless with each day of work. I'm glad to have it but I think it's more of a job for lazy people that are ok with doing nothing everyday.
I want your job.... In Las Vegas, those are good wages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 04:31 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,445,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach_B View Post
I have a great schedule, get off at 4pm, take off whenever, everyone is nice, good benefits, it's easy, BUT it is sooooooooooooo boring and I don't make much money (<$15 hr). I spend my day playing online, on my phone, listening to the radio, looking out the window, & staring at the clock. I get maybe 15 minutes of work. I feel like my degree was a waste--I want to DO something.

I'm trying to decide if I should try to get out or not. Sure, the flexibility is great but I might die of boredom if I have to do this for the next 30 years. I feel more useless with each day of work. I'm glad to have it but I think it's more of a job for lazy people that are ok with doing nothing everyday.
I agree with the previous poster that actually sounds awesome.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:06 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,105,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRSS View Post
I say that ANY job that you do not enjoy, makes you sick at the very thought of having to spend 8 (or more) hours there, leaves you psychologically drained at the end of the day, and makes you feel like YOU are being singled out for punishment by the universe - THAT job is the most boring and uninspiring job there is!

I have made lots of money in jobs that made me physically ill the moment I drove into the parking lot, and I've made very little money in jobs that I absolutely loved, and enjoyed working with everyone I worked with. For me, it's all about enjoying what I am doing, atmosphere, and good management!

I've never really cared much about what kind of job I got, as long as I enjoyed it, and was able to make a decent living doing it. If it had affordable benefits, all the better.
If it was just 8 hrs a day, it would be tolerable enough to undertake.
However, when it's anywhere from having to driver 10-11 hrs a day and only get time off after doing it for 2-3 weeks straight, then it should be considered sadism.
I attempt to talk to others employed in this field on specific forums and out at the truckstops.
Most tell me to go away, "suck it up", and they all act like this is the greatest job in the world despite all the negativity.

It's not right to tell others how to live their lives, but when it comes to being singled out like that and feeling like it's "You against Them" then one runs out of options for saving the sinking box they're in.

Well, tomorrow's Monday anyway, I'll be calling back some of those alternate places I've been putting online apps to all weekend.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:15 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,906,017 times
Boring, mindless repetitive jobs are horrible for most of us but for some, who were once called "retarded," they are great opportunities.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
If it was just 8 hrs a day, it would be tolerable enough to undertake.
However, when it's anywhere from having to driver 10-11 hrs a day and only get time off after doing it for 2-3 weeks straight, then it should be considered sadism.
I attempt to talk to others employed in this field on specific forums and out at the truckstops.
Most tell me to go away, "suck it up", and they all act like this is the greatest job in the world despite all the negativity.

It's not right to tell others how to live their lives, but when it comes to being singled out like that and feeling like it's "You against Them" then one runs out of options for saving the sinking box they're in.

Well, tomorrow's Monday anyway, I'll be calling back some of those alternate places I've been putting online apps to all weekend.
I always thought being a truck driver sounded awesome. I like my showers though - would that get in the way?

Old 01-22-2012, 05:48 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,105,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEarthBeneathMe View Post
I always thought being a truck driver sounded awesome. I like my showers though - would that get in the way?
It really depends on what time of the day/night you stop and if there are showers located at the truck-stop you're stopping at.
Most of the time, truckstop parking gets filled to the max and you're forced to keep driving until you're hours run out in order to find a suitable parking space.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:54 PM

222 posts, read 419,463 times

The Peter Gibbons Syndrome - YouTube

Old 01-22-2012, 07:29 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,350,260 times
Believe me, if you are only working 15 minutes a day and do not have enough work to fill up the remaining time... eventually you will get laid off. Corporations like to consolidate jobs.

Old 01-22-2012, 08:01 PM

City-Data mod on this list anywhere?

Old 01-22-2012, 08:46 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,844,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
Believe me, if you are only working 15 minutes a day and do not have enough work to fill up the remaining time... eventually you will get laid off. Corporations like to consolidate jobs.
Unless you work for the government. I have an aunt who worked for the state as a secretary and she has told me that she only had about half an hour of work and the rest of the time she read magazines and books. They didn't care what she did as they just didn't have anything for her to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment