Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 07:50 PM

203 posts, read 108,321 times

Advertisements

I know it's been discussed on here before...but how important are they?

I've had interviews where i sent thank you's and didnt get the job. I've had interviews where i sent them and did get the job.

What i'm struggling with is finding people's email addresses. Many people don't have business cards. i can find people on linkedin but not an email. Is it worth it reaching out to the HR person to ask??

Is it creepy to send someone a thank you on linkedin?

If i dont follow up after an interview could that cost me the job? I've heard that it can...and that part of the process is to send thank yous/follow up

Today for example i had a phone screen and was going to send a thank you. Before i had a chance to I got an email invite for an onsite...so not sending a thank you didnt prevent me from getting to the next steps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2019, 08:11 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,745,193 times
If you felt like you had chemistry with the interviewer during the interview then send a thank you letter.

Old 03-01-2019, 08:28 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,736,838 times
When you are interviewing at the end when they ask if you have any questions, say “yes, what’s your email address?” Problem solved.

Old 03-02-2019, 07:56 AM

203 posts, read 108,321 times
Default re

Well i cant do that now...i am just stressing about this.

I cant imagine if they were on the fence about me a thank you would get me the job?

Old 03-02-2019, 08:04 AM

3,909 posts, read 2,120,369 times
Thank you's are overrated. It makes the person seem desperate. If they want you, they want you. I learnt this over the years.

Old 03-02-2019, 08:36 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,150,565 times
Look at it this way: you have nothing to lose and everything to gain by expressing appreciation for the interviewer's time and consideration. It doesn't make you "seem desperate" -- it makes you seem professional and courteous.

Old 03-02-2019, 08:43 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,279,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBridge781 View Post

I've had interviews where i sent thank you's and didnt get the job. I've had interviews where i sent them and did get the job.

What i'm struggling with is finding people's email addresses. Many people don't have business cards. i can find people on linkedin but not an email. Is it worth it reaching out to the HR person to ask??

If i dont follow up after an interview could that cost me the job? I've heard that it can...and that part of the process is to send thank yous/follow up

Today for example i had a phone screen and was going to send a thank you. Before i had a chance to I got an email invite for an onsite...so not sending a thank you didnt prevent me from getting to the next steps.
Unfortunately - these questions are like asking "what's the best movie" or "what is the best color"?

The answer depends on who you ask as well as what the position is for. I've always followed up with a quick thank you. Earlier in my career - it was the prescribed paragraph or two that actually highlighted some of our conversation. In the last decade or so - it's become a very short note that simply thanks them for their time and provide my contact info if they have further questions. I may add a personal comment if we had similar interests during our conversation.

From the other side of the table - A quick thank you is nice. It tells me that you are interested. However, I'm not going to read a three paragraph thank you letter. Does it help at the end - I can't remember ever making a hiring decision on whether or not I got a thank you letter. BUT - I'm sure someone out there has/will.

The question is - would you want to work for someone that uses that criteria for hiring decisions?

As for getting the contact info - From a hiring manager perspective - I always provide a business card. It is a two way street. If you are a top candidate, I want to make sure you have a good way of reaching me directly. As a candidate, I would ask the hiring manager (and anyone above them that I talk to) for one if need be.

Old 03-02-2019, 09:12 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,369,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
Thank you's are overrated. It makes the person seem desperate. If they want you, they want you. I learnt this over the years.
No, this is wrong. It is a professional courtesy. It also gives the candidate the opportunity to express their interest in the role and highlight their experience now based on what they obtained from the interview. Simply showing up to an interview doesn't communicate that. You might very well walk out of the interview thinking you aren't interested, they aren't mind readers. The people who don't know how to write and express themselves in a professional matter to what is appropriate for the situation, are the ones who think this isn't necessary. You don't have that skill, then you better learn it if you want to work at the better places. Headhunters who place people for six-figure jobs always advise the candidates to write thank you letters. They coach them on doing this as part of the process even before the first interview.

We have never hired anyone who has not sent us a thank letter after the interview. It has helped us know several things. One that this person is very interested in the job and working with us. It also shows this person knows how to present themselves in a professional manner and that they can express themselves in writing. It shows they did their homework and followed up with more details based on the interview, which is very important because we want to hire people who are intelligent, thoughtful and take the initiative in an appropriate way. It definitely distinguishes them from those we don't hear from after the interview. I can't remember anyone making the short list who didn't send a thank you note, because their note keeps them top of mind.

Those that don't have the skills to write a thank you note should learn them, because not doing it puts you at a disadvantage for the better higher paying jobs. The 10 minutes writing a good thank you note is a good investment of your time.

Old 03-02-2019, 09:19 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,369,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBridge781 View Post

If you need to do this in a timely manner, use e-mail. If you don't have their e-mail address, you send e-mail to HR and ask, "Please forward to ..." and they will take care of it. It is one of the few things HR actually does do all the time from my experiences.

Linkedin isn't a good idea, because some people use a different e-mail address of it, or it gets filtered and they don't read it often. Also Linkedin e-mail communicates at a glance don't look important, so you can't expect someone to treat it like direct e-mail to their work e-mail address. It isn't creepy, they just might not read it in time to be of any help to you.

You can still thank the phone screener too. Once you get the next step, you can send the phone screener e-mail thanking them for their time. Sometimes people who did the phone screener have to work out of normal business hours and it is common courtesy to thank them for their time. After all, they work in HR and most people think much of them, so showing you appreciate anything they do can only help you.

Even contract houses (staffing firms) ask candidates to write thank you letters.

Old 03-02-2019, 09:38 AM

483 posts, read 841,918 times
If you have one email address for the company you can probably guess at everyone else's, assuming you know their full names (full vs. nickname for first name (Joe vs Joseph) may be tougher if full names instead of initial are used in the email convention, so maybe try both).

I agree with the earlier poster that said there's nothing to lose with an email thank you. Just don't write it in a groveling way in order to avoid the appearance of desperation as warned by another poster.

There's always the chance that you are essentially tied with another candidate and the courtesy of a thank you note is what makes you stand out in the end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment