Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 06:48 PM

60 posts, read 166,515 times

Advertisements

a friend told me that one of the points against me is the fact that I am single.

supposedly it looks like I have little to lose, and employers prefer to hire people who have a lot to lose, because that means they are more likely to work hard even if they don't like the job.

any truth to that?

(i thought it was the other way around, since married people especially those with children have more responsibilities outside of the office which means lower likelihood they will be able to pull 60+ hours weeks.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 06:57 PM

1,626 posts, read 3,897,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by w99w View Post
a friend told me that one of the points against me is the fact that I am single.

supposedly it looks like I have little to lose, and employers prefer to hire people who have a lot to lose, because that means they are more likely to work hard even if they don't like the job.

any truth to that?

(i thought it was the other way around, since married people especially those with children have more responsibilities outside of the office which means lower likelihood they will be able to pull 60+ hours weeks.)
maybe 50 years ago, these days there are single people in every age group.marriage is obsolete

Old 02-05-2012, 07:00 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
I don't think being married or single has any influence on getting hired since those discussions shouldn't come up during an interview. Once hired, your boss and coworkers learn the details of your life and those details do influence future decisions.

As a result, single people without children are discriminated against when it comes to lay offs. Bosses do take into consideration the importance of providing for a family. I just had a conversation with my sister about this today. She was presented with 3 people the company was considering to lay off. She first weighs their importance to the organization. If all is equal, she'll lay off the single workers without children instead of the married worker with children. When chosing between two workers with families, she'll lay off the one whose spouse has a great job.

So what does this tell you? Keep the details of your personal life to yourself!

Old 02-05-2012, 07:08 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by w99w View Post

any truth to that?

Your post isn't written very clearly.

Single people many times are more put upon at work. They don't have the excuse that they have to go pick up their kids if someone needs to stay late.

If a job involves staying late, traveling, etc. Then a single person is viewed as a better fit.

Old 02-05-2012, 07:35 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Your post isn't written very clearly.

Single people many times are more put upon at work. They don't have the excuse that they have to go pick up their kids if someone needs to stay late.

If a job involves staying late, traveling, etc. Then a single person is viewed as a better fit.
This. The single and childless are often expected to pick up the slack left by married parents when they run off to be with their kids.

So far it does not appear to be that way at my current job; we all take turns taking the beating of being on call and when your number comes up, you're up. The only time they've made an exception is when someone had a death in the family the day before their on-call week was to start. My boss stepped up and took the hit personally.

Old 02-05-2012, 08:52 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,682,611 times
I am single and single people HAVE TONS to lose. Unlike a married poor person, I can't get any help. I am so broke right now, that selling drugs is starting to look good. I need money for medication, but I can't get Medicaid. Married people with kids can get medical help if they lose their jobs. I can die on the street for all anyone cares. Single people are more likely to be homeless or die as the result of poverty because no one cares about the single adult.

When, or if I find a job. I am going to start wearing a wedding ring even though I am single. I am going to invent a whole family. I am going to invent kids and a husband so I can get all the damn privileges in the workplace married folks get.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:02 PM

114 posts, read 495,174 times
http://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...off-about.html

Thats my topic and I kind of think Single people are discriminated against.

I can tell you this, I see married people, people with kids, all get jobs a whole lot quicker than a single person can.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:08 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Your "friend" is an idiot.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:13 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,345,632 times
Single people shouldn't be discriminated against during the hiring process as that topic shouldn't come up.

However, it is true that they can be expected to be more flexible than their married with children peers.

As far as layoffs, I'm not sure as I haven't ever been part of that process but employers should remember the married guy might have a wife's job to fall back on whereas the single guy has no one.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:17 PM

114 posts, read 495,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird82 View Post
Single people shouldn't be discriminated against during the hiring process as that topic shouldn't come up.

However, it is true that they can be expected to be more flexible than their married with children peers.

As far as layoffs, I'm not sure as I haven't ever been part of that process but employers should remember the married guy might have a wife's job to fall back on whereas the single guy has no one.
But its all guesswork still.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment