Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2012, 05:24 PM

532 posts, read 1,177,502 times

Advertisements

I work as a telephone CSR and been having problems controlling my calls. Our job has certain metrics that must be met to keep our jobs, one being average handle times. I am having issues with getting the metrics I want while also letting the customer speak.

Not only do I have to help customers with their issues, but I also have several points I need to include in all of my calls to make sure I am meeting expectations for every call.

I am having a really big issue with getting all my info out without having to interrupt the customer. It's not something I make a habit of doing because I don't care, but rather I'm trying to meet the expectations set forth by my company. Either the customer wants to be overly chatty or they want to rush off the phone. Neither one is good for me. I am friendly, but it's not a social call for me no matter how much I like the customer.

How do I interrupt the chatty customers politely without stepping on their toes and seeming rude? And how do I keep the customer on the phone so that I can meet each goal set forth for me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 06:03 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,942,302 times
Why not just politely interject? After you allow the customer to let off some steam, just say "Well, to answer your question...." or "I understand what you're saying sir, so here's what we'll do..." Maybe you just have to jump right in there and start explaining whatever it is that you need to explain to them. Waiting for a pause in the conversation may take up too much time and will probably negatively impact your metrics. If you're calls are being recorded, I don't believe you'll get in trouble for interrupting especially if the auditor can tell that you're trying to resolve the customer's issue.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:11 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,626,353 times
Does your company not offer training on this subject? The reason I ask is that many companies want you to handle this situation in a very specific way.

For instance, I worked a job doing a satisfaction survey for government programs over the phone and how they wanted us to handle these types of situation was very different from other groups in the same company.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:55 PM

532 posts, read 1,177,502 times
Not much really. Doesnt stop them from demanding more in less time though.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:09 PM

2,135 posts, read 5,491,665 times
Just overtalk them and speak fast during transitions. I do both, and my production and quality are both top five on my team (along with lowest average TT) Something that comes with practice, ability to memorize scripts, and tell people no. Check your training materials for "call control" it's in there somewhere.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:30 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,415,962 times
For a customer that goes on and on, you could say something like '" although I really enjoy speaking with you, I do have several other callers on the line, so, I do need to finish this order up" then do NOT pause for them to agree. Say, ok, now, lets see, you wanted two, one black and one white, correct"

Unfortunately, that doesn't always work. they just keep talking!

You learn your own ways to handle such. My worse are the hard-of-hearing callers. I know I've been blasted for this before, oh, those poor old people, you will be old yourself someday, yadda yadda......

Look, I have the utmost respect for the elderly and their age-associated problems. But, try to realize, I am trying to do a job, and I don't set the evaluation criteria. If an elderly person (or anyone) calls and talks for 30 min+, I can be canned. It really doesn't matter what the conversation is about, I am supposed to control the call. I was let go from a call center for just that, not controlling the call. I had a spate of no-speak English callers, hard-of-hearing callers, etc, but it was somehow my fault.

OP, just keep on trying, you will find your means of handling calls!

Old 02-21-2012, 09:35 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,415,962 times
What I hate are the "boilerplates" we have to read in entirely, without interruption, to make it a legal transaction. I know its long-winded, but still, we are required to read the whole thing. I have customers who just are determined I am NOT going to read it, they keep interrupting, asking questions I've already answered, etc. Meanwhile, your timer is ticking.

I've actually hung up on some such customers, say I'm sorry, but to complete this transaction I MUST read this entirely. They just keep talking, so, I simply say I'm sorry, but since you are not ready to complete this transaction today, please call back at a time that is convenient, then hang up before they can reply. note: doesn't always work, either

Old 02-22-2012, 01:23 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,651,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Does your company not offer training on this subject? The reason I ask is that many companies want you to handle this situation in a very specific way.

For instance, I worked a job doing a satisfaction survey for government programs over the phone and how they wanted us to handle these types of situation was very different from other groups in the same company.
Training is a thing of the past. Which is why we see such lousy customer service these days.

Years ago people who worked in call centers received extensive classroom training and then "shadowed" a CSR before being turned loose.

Nowadays they learn as they go, and it reflects the level of service.

OP, I would politely interrupt them as another poster said with "I enjoy talking to you"....and get the call back on track.

Because from what you describe they're more concerned about volume of calls and not customer satisfaction.

And you will be graded against that.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:41 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,912,531 times
Are you tier I support or higher? Because if they are talking so much, they probably should be handed off to a tier II person since they probably have bigger issues that need resolution than you are meant to be dealing with. If you are tier II, then probably you are wasting valuable time by repeating disclaimers and trying simple 'restart' attempts that have already been gone over by tier I. Skip right to the heart of the problem.

I'm sure I don't have to tell you that most customers really despise customer service personnel who spend the whole time issuing disclaimers instead getting to the heart of the problem. And because most people hate customer service hotlines so much, they will do anything to avoid calling them--including pretty much anything that a tier I CSR could suggest to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment