Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 07:43 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I think my Bosch was about $50 more than the competing made in Mexico and China brands. So I paid about 8% more to keep Americans working--small price to pay in my opinion.
We need more Americans with your attitude rather than those that fill the Walmart Parking lots so they can save $2 on a toaster..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 07:50 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I dont think reducing corporate taxes is going to be effective when other countries are paying their employees $1 hour.
Getting rid of all the illegals is only going to work if Americans are going to fill the majority of jobs the illegals are doing now,migrant farm labor, nannies, house cleaners,servants..
Buying American is a great idea but going to most big box stores there isnt much of a choice as almost everything is made somewhere else and if you do happen to see something made in America its usually more expensive.
Reducing corporate tax will make a HUGE impact!!!

Certain jobs will certainly be lost no matter how you play it. Those jobs typically require little to no skill, hence the $1/hour salary.

However, most American workers work in highly skilled factories and service industries. Yes, they may be paid at $20, $30, $50 per hour but the efficiency and level of quality combined with lower corporate tax will result in lower price or cost.

You have to remember, America is probably the best place in the world to conduct business. Lower corporate tax adds a huge attraction!

Old 02-27-2012, 08:45 AM

141 posts, read 362,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parttimetechie View Post
Having live in CA much of my life, I can say while you think the illegal immigratns are stealing our jobs, do YOU want to clean toilets, cook food, etc? I doubt it. We need them, because Americans aren't willing to do those jobs, and American companies aren't willing to pay American wages for jobs like that.
Are you saying that before illegal immigrants flooded the country, nobody was cleaning toilets and was cooking food?

Old 02-27-2012, 12:04 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,021,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plenewken View Post
Are you saying that before illegal immigrants flooded the country, nobody was cleaning toilets and was cooking food?
Those jobs have been done mostly by immigrants or African-Americans for more than a century.

Americans are willing to do them, but not at the low wages offered. Take the university I work at. It pays janitors decent wages ($13/hour and up) with benefits. Most of the janitors are American. Now, in food service, which is contracted out, the pay is much lower and it is mostly Russians or Hispanic immigrants.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:12 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
Those jobs have been done mostly by immigrants or African-Americans for more than a century.

Americans are willing to do them, but not at the low wages offered. Take the university I work at. It pays janitors decent wages ($13/hour and up) with benefits. Most of the janitors are American. Now, in food service, which is contracted out, the pay is much lower and it is mostly Russians or Hispanic immigrants.
Maybe but they are LEGAL immigrants!!! Big difference!!!

Old 02-27-2012, 02:09 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Kinda depends on the product, i dont mind paying an extra $10-$20 for American made but if that difference starts getting into the $100's i just cant afford it..

PS. i thought Bosch was a German company..
It's highly dependent on the product. For example, Snap-On and Matco are the only producers of US made tool boxes left in the US. A new box from them costs roughly $4000-$5000. An imported Chinese one will cost in the neighborhood of $800-$1500 for similar sizes, drawer #s, width, etc. That is a huge difference.

For other products the difference might be 2x more but that only amounts to $$'s. For example, Estwing and Vaughn are the only two hammer makers left producing product in the US (IIRC). A new Estwing hammer at Home Depot is roughly $20-$25, an imported Stanley is around $15.

Lowes recently got rid of their US made hammers not because people weren't buying them, but because their profit margin was substantially less.

Also if you buy used you aren't sending any more money out of the States. I try to buy used imported goods if I have to buy an import, although sometimes like you said it's not always practical. IMO anyone with a household income of $100k or more should make a conscious effort to buy US made product as they can afford it where as with folks making substantially less than that, an import is the only thing they can afford budget wise.

Old 02-27-2012, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Reducing corporate tax will make a HUGE impact!!!

Certain jobs will certainly be lost no matter how you play it. Those jobs typically require little to no skill, hence the $1/hour salary.

However, most American workers work in highly skilled factories and service industries. Yes, they may be paid at $20, $30, $50 per hour but the efficiency and level of quality combined with lower corporate tax will result in lower price or cost.

You have to remember, America is probably the best place in the world to conduct business. Lower corporate tax adds a huge attraction!
The US corporate tax burden is 4th from the bottom on a list of industrialized nations. It's very low in comparison to other countries. Don't look at the tax rate, the US has a lot of loop holes and deductions that other countries do not allow.

For example Amazon paid 4% in federal taxes from 2004-2008. That's pretty low.

Have you seen China's tax rates? They are pretty high. China also taxes IMPORTS from the US at around 20%. The difference is China gives huge tax breaks to those companies manufacturing within their borders.

Old 02-27-2012, 02:18 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
IMO anyone with a household income of $100k or more should make a conscious effort to buy US made product as they can afford it where as with folks making substantially less than that, an import is the only thing they can afford budget wise.
Your statement makes no sense. A family making $100K in Hunterdon, NJ is living a barely middle income lifestyle. A family making $50K in rural Alabama is living an upper middle income lifestyle.

Old 02-27-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Your statement makes no sense. A family making $100K in Hunterdon, NJ is living a barely middle income lifestyle. A family making $50K in rural Alabama is living an upper middle income lifestyle.
I've been to rural AL and no $50k is not upper middle class, that is maybe a decent house with an F150. No Mercedes. You must have a skewed view of what upper middle class is.

When I lived in Madison, NJ folks making $100k and up were living in nice homes and driving BMWs and Mercedes and even had (gasp!) health benefits. They were living a middle class lifestyle.

Sure it could be indexed for COL in any locale but $100k is a good number to start off from where you have the wiggle room to pay another couple hundred a month for US stuff. Someone making $10/hr doesn't have any wiggle room regardless of where they live, but you missed the point in instantly hitting the quote button to argue your point. But I know you like to argue just because, and you have to always be right so yep you are right, $100k is barely middle class in some areas. But it's still middle class (goes without saying for a typical family).

Last edited by wheelsup; 02-27-2012 at 02:32 PM..

Old 02-27-2012, 02:41 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I've been to rural AL and no $50k is not upper middle class, that is maybe a decent house with an F150. No Mercedes.

When I lived in Madison, NJ folks making $100k and up were living in nice homes and driving BMWs and Mercedes.

Sure it could be indexed for COL in any local but $100k is a good number to start off from. But I also know you like to argue just because.
I have a friend in rural AL. Their house which is a 2000 s/f home on four acres cost them $80K. They pay $450 a year in property taxes. They live very comfortably on $50K a year.

I have a friend in Hunterdon County, NJ. She has a 2000 s/f home, similar age and features except it's on a half acre. She paid $550K and pays $9K a year in property taxes. $100K doesn't go very far when the cost of living is that high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment