Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 02:47 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,472,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I have a friend in rural AL. Their house which is a 2000 s/f home on four acres cost them $80K. They pay $450 a year in property taxes. They live very comfortably on $50K a year.

I have a friend in Hunterdon County, NJ. She has a 2000 s/f home, similar age and features except it's on a half acre. She paid $550K and pays $9K a year in property taxes. $100K doesn't go very far when the cost of living is that high.
No question the COL in NJ is much higher than in pretty much any southern state. I don't think you'll ever see anyone say otherwise. However I'm still baffled that you think $50k/yr is upper middle class even in rural AL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 02:47 PM

758 posts, read 1,641,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parttimetechie View Post
Having live in CA much of my life, I can say while you think the illegal immigratns are stealing our jobs, do YOU want to clean toilets, cook food, etc? I doubt it. We need them, because Americans aren't willing to do those jobs, and American companies aren't willing to pay American wages for jobs like that.
I cook food and clean toilets at home. Why not get paid for it? Oh wait, it it because the American companies aren't willing to pay American wages for jobs like that. But why should they (companies) have to pay high wages when they can pay illegal immigrants pennies on the dollar to do those jobs?

Old 02-27-2012, 02:55 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,086,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
No question the COL in NJ is much higher than in pretty much any southern state. I don't think you'll ever see anyone say otherwise. However I'm still baffled that you think $50k/yr is upper middle class even in rural AL.
After their mortgage and property taxes, and personal income taxes they have $43K leftover. Their car insurance is a fraction of what the same coverage would cost in NJ, and their state income taxes are minimal as well. When all is said and done, they have more disposable income, and are living a pretty nice lifestyle. They drive late model cars (and not KIA's) and take a cruise every year. They are living far better than many of my friends in NJ who make twice as much but have three or more times the COL against that income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment