Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2012, 07:57 AM

1 posts, read 1,494 times

Advertisements

I've been unemployed since the end of January. I am lucky I get unemployment but I can't get anyone to call me for jobs. My resume is pretty good and I have a lot of experience in several areas with transferable skills.

But I have a tough time finding jobs to apply to--there are simply not the jobs there used to be.

I remember you could get someone to call you after x number of applications but I have not gotten one call after applying for 30 jobs.

I went to see the Unemployment counselor for the state and he told me there are tons of jobs here but I don't see it. I look on all the websites and maybe have one or two the most a day if I am lucky.

I spend the rest of the time looking up companies and trying to see if they have any jobs.

Maybe it's because I am not from here. I moved here to get this job and now I am laid off after a year.

Because I am an introvert I don't do networking. The people at my old job are my references and I asked them to keep me in mind for any jobs but so far my network is limited.

I have to move in May. Should I just get out of here and find a new place to go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 08:05 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,404,398 times
Your problem is the "no networking" thing. These days it's not what you know but usually who you know.

Old 03-10-2012, 08:32 AM

475 posts, read 1,372,088 times
With the numbers game, you should still be getting responses if it is a field you are qualified in and have experience in. Have you had your resume reviewed and updated? End of January isn't really much time either, the cycles for hiring are sometimes 3 months these days. Networking is essential to find out if jobs are around that are not posted. Even the DOL is starting to sing this song recently. However, many insiders at some large corporations have told me that just casual contact is not really enough any more, they have to really know you. So networking is more long term, something you have to build.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:49 AM

222 posts, read 779,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Your problem is the "no networking" thing. These days it's not what you know but usually who you know.
I totally agree with this post. Forget about applications. I mean do it anyway.
Well there are different strategies. Most of openings are not even posted anywhere (at least it is how it is for my type of work). You really need to KNOW that the place is actually looking for someone.
You need to find a contact and check and check and check again and again.

From my experience people are very responsive now. I get 80% of response from cold emails.

Monitor the companies you think might need people, read the news etc. Find the Contacts - I simply use LinkedIn. Send email; some people call..I am not that agressive I email...

You establish the contact; then ask to follow up in a couple of months and do not forget to do that.

Unfortunately, it does take a lot of time. You will need to send many-many emails, but one will click and you will get a job!!!

Another thing what I do is if you see the position posted somewhere, find the contact and check if it is real position and if you can be considered.

Good luck!

Old 03-10-2012, 10:25 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,133,745 times
We can't really advise you since you didn't share what type of skills you are trying to transfer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment