Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 10:47 AM

428 posts, read 900,585 times

Advertisements

So I had to fax out a application for a job I have phone interview for on Thursday. Its for a Admin position for a nationwide investment firm that has a local branch in my area. Its 16 pages long so going to a office supply place is out of the question and the fact that its Spring Break going to the local library isnt my idea of fun besides they charge to.
I got up early, well early for me these days, to go do this. I was hoping if I showed up early enough there wouldnt be alot people there.

First its in a not so great area of town, second every time I go I get hit on and today was no expection and thirdly in somebodys infinite wisdom they put the fax machines on a high counter so short people like myself can barely see if there punching in the numbers correctly...

Anyways I was trying to type in the numbers and this dude whose also at the fax machine starts with " Need some help shorty"( Im 5'1) and ends up being a whole conversation of What ya doing later, want to grab some lunch, So you got a man and all that jazz" Im stuck the entire flippin time cause I want to wait for the 16 pages to go thru and make sure they received it... Finally it goes thru and gives me a confirmation.. I tell the dude bye and start to leave making sure he didnt decide to follow me to the parking lot...Which he didnt. ACKKK and so how was your morning

So Im wondering does any else hate walking into whatever you have in your state for various reasons????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 10:54 AM

29,825 posts, read 24,908,096 times
Michigan has been a tough place to get a job for years. When I lived there, I visited MW online to fill out all their stuff. I also visited the facility a few times. None of this was very helpful. I think it was oversaturated with people looking for work, and there never seemed to be many actual employers using it. It's not a bad concept. The problem is, it was advertised to everyone, so everyone crammed on there. Better off looking on Craigslist or career builder, at least everyone is not scanning it everyday.

The people at the facility didn't seem to have much to offer. For any question you have, they just tell you to go to the website... Well, why exactly are you here than??? Oh well, like any other state run program, it seemed very inefficient and pointless.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:40 PM

841 posts, read 1,917,542 times
Is this like unemployment? Do they like to say there are lots of jobs when in reality there aren't?

Old 04-02-2012, 12:48 PM

No Michigan Works is where you have to go register after u file for unemployment. I think they have similar things in other states too I dont know. They have programs that are suppose to help people but honestly they only are for those that dont have HS Diploma, are convicts reentering society, and those under 25 that are low income. They have there own website that the post jobs on which isnt updated all that frequently. I just went to use the fax machine because its free.

Old 04-02-2012, 02:43 PM

841 posts, read 1,917,542 times
My cousin attended a mandatory Unemployment Class today...they told the people that 90% of the jobs you will get are from wait for it the hidden job market.

Wow, no idea that was true.
Funny, when a guy asked how do you actually reach people who will not be reached the person giving the class just shrugged and said keep trying to reach someone in charge.

Great advice.

Old 04-02-2012, 03:05 PM

Yeah I might have to do that since I start Tier 1.. I asked the girls that work there if they could give me details since nobody knows anything since the extension passed. All they said was " Our part is still being worked out and wait for the packet" So I guess I just sit and wait for some mysterious packet to arrive in the mail.... Yeahhh ( sarcasm for those dont realize)

Old 04-02-2012, 03:09 PM

266 posts, read 1,108,429 times
E-FAX!!! Fax in the privacy of your own home

Old 04-02-2012, 07:00 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara0815 View Post
No Michigan Works is where you have to go register after u file for unemployment. I think they have similar things in other states too I dont know. They have programs that are suppose to help people but honestly they only are for those that dont have HS Diploma, are convicts reentering society, and those under 25 that are low income. They have there own website that the post jobs on which isnt updated all that frequently. I just went to use the fax machine because its free.
Yeah here in PA it's called Career Link and they pretend they can find you a job-lol But in a way I can understand why they do what they do because if they found a job for everyone who walked through the door they would be looking for work too.

Do they also have a Michigan Works website where you can apply to jobs online?

Old 04-02-2012, 07:06 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef.sunny22 View Post
My cousin attended a mandatory Unemployment Class today...they told the people that 90% of the jobs you will get are from wait for it the hidden job market.

Wow, no idea that was true.
Funny, when a guy asked how do you actually reach people who will not be reached the person giving the class just shrugged and said keep trying to reach someone in charge.

Great advice.
LMAO.........sounds like the one doing the class KNEW somebody important

Old 04-02-2012, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Yeah here in PA it's called Career Link and they pretend they can find you a job-lol But in a way I can understand why they do what they do because if they found a job for everyone who walked through the door they would be looking for work too.

Do they also have a Michigan Works website where you can apply to jobs online?

Its funny I applied for some sort clerical position at Michigan Works forever ago and got a Thanks but no thanks email. I found that kinda ironic

Yeah they have a website, look at it daily but mostly the stuff on there is all factory jobs which isnt something I can do or caregiver position which like Ive said before changing diapers and bathing others isnt for me....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment