Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 02:16 PM

3,528 posts, read 6,536,451 times

Advertisements

I have a computer science degree from 19 years ago but never used it for much. Had mundane office jobs and then got a decent tech writing job which ended in 2001. I've been working on and off as a temp ever since, doing trivia like Excel. And I haven't worked at all in 2.5 years.

I've been thinking of learning Java or ASP.net etc but there's so much outsourcing. And I'm sure people want to hire programmers with work experience and not somebody who just read a book or took a course.

I thought I might learn computer networking more, since American companies have to hire people who are physically in the office to do networking. But I don't like networking.

If you know someone entering college in America, would you discourage them from taking computer science? It can't hurt, but how many 22 year old American programmers are going to get hired today?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 04:56 PM

2,313 posts, read 2,508,620 times
I would not recommend computer science to anyone now. Too many jobs being outsourced and I don't see that trend slowing down soon. You should learn computer networking since you physically have to be there plus cloud computing is becoming a big thing. Someone will need to maintain, install or program new computer servers. Better be you.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:32 PM

578 posts, read 1,295,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
If you know someone entering college in America, would you discourage them from taking computer science? It can't hurt, but how many 22 year old American programmers are going to get hired today?
Depends on what you decide to go in.

There's a huge tech boom here in the Bay Area, so I'm not sure the outsourcing everything line is totally applicable. Just because a lot of people from India are in the field doesn't mean it's outsourcing.

The tech boom is pushing out lower income people from SF and SJ, driving up rent prices, etc. etc. Google, Mozilla, and other companies are here.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:39 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,901,617 times
Computer Science and Software Engineering degrees are consistently listed in the top 5 desirable/worthwhile degrees. You can't outsource innovation and creativity or you're out of business quickly. But you can outsource maintenance and support.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:54 PM

137 posts, read 267,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
I would not recommend computer science to anyone now. Too many jobs being outsourced and I don't see that trend slowing down soon. You should learn computer networking since you physically have to be there plus cloud computing is becoming a big thing. Someone will need to maintain, install or program new computer servers. Better be you.
Are you joking? If you are an expert in .NET, Java, Perl, C#, heck even SQL you'll be able to find a job. And yes, cloud computing is the next big thing, but that refers to the delivery of the software. Cloud-based software is fundamentally the same, with a layer of complexity.

There are tons of IT jobs out there, and it's just growing. I work in IT as a business analyst, I have offers for interviews weekly at least, and my developer friends aren't doing much worse.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:53 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,647,821 times
Quote:
I have a computer science degree from 19 years ago but never used it for much. Had mundane office jobs and then got a decent tech writing job which ended in 2001. I've been working on and off as a temp ever since, doing trivia like Excel. And I haven't worked at all in 2.5 years.

I've been thinking of learning Java or ASP.net etc but there's so much outsourcing. And I'm sure people want to hire programmers with work experience and not somebody who just read a book or took a course.

I thought I might learn computer networking more, since American companies have to hire people who are physically in the office to do networking. But I don't like networking.

First of all, no one will hire you just because you know a programming language. Java developers have to know a whole lot more than just Java. You have to understand object oriented programming and design patterns, web application architecture including web frameworks, databases, and plenty of other tools to be proficient as a Java developer. The jobs that get outsourced are the ones that just require heads-down coding. If you're the guy who can just take requirements and go turn them into code, your job will get shipped overseas. What companies want here is someone who do full lifecycle development. You gather requirements, come up with designs, code, test, etc. You also have strong communication skills and can deal with customers and other non-technical people.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:52 PM

6,590 posts, read 11,296,324 times
Disagree about networking being less "outsourceable"... with better communications and virtualization, many small/medium sized organizations can get a lot more with managed services (remote management/monitoring, SOC/NOC services, etc.); and many are going that route - or even one step further and just skip having a traditional infrastructure and go with cloud services. Of course, one can always work for the outsourcing companies (or are people referring to offshoring?).

Bottom line - IMO, if you don't like doing it... the chances of you being the "cream of the crop" is going to be less... which will lessen your chances of being the top candidate for the job. Simple as that. This isn't to say that there are no "natural" talents out there... but they certainly aren't the majority.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:22 PM

10,224 posts, read 19,223,538 times
Quote:
My company is hiring a lot of them, but sadly mostly from the upper tier of schools, and preferring masters degrees.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:28 PM

1,351 posts, read 1,599,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
Disagree regarding the outsourcing (offshore to countries like India). I think that trend has been slowing down a bit over the past several years as more companies are recognizing the downsides of outsourcing. Which is good; I was never a fan of it.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:36 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,988,187 times
I interviewed with Capgemini this past Wednesday, which is very big on outsourcing to India, so I don't really agree with the slowing down.

I do think that you can be successful with a computer science degree. I interviewed with a company last week and they even wanted their finance people to have some SQL experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment