Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2012, 01:13 PM

41 posts, read 102,058 times

Advertisements

Any recommendations for a study guide for the Mechanical Aptitude test?

It's for entrance to a training program at the Volkswagen plant in Chattanooga. From what they told my husband, he will be taking the test on a computer. We got this one Amazon.com: Barron's Mechanical Aptitude and Spatial Relations Test (Barron's Mechanical Aptitude & Spatial Relations Test) (9780764141089): Dr. Joel Wiesen: Books and he is doing above average on most of the tests in that book, but I wasn't sure how similar the "real" test would be (or if there was another book that was closer to what he should expect.)

Appreciate any help or info!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 04:52 PM

4,761 posts, read 14,290,523 times
In my experience, either you are "mechanical" or you are not.

Some people can easily figure out how to change a tire on a car, for others it is an impossible task.

Old 04-22-2012, 11:03 PM

29,825 posts, read 24,913,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
In my experience, either you are "mechanical" or you are not.

Some people can easily figure out how to change a tire on a car, for others it is an impossible task.
I second this. Mechanical aptitude is not something you gain from reading a book. It's a shame parents have stopped letting their youngins play with the tools in dad's garage years ago... That is where mechanical aptitude originates if you ask me. Now we have a generation of kids who aren't sure which way to turn a screw driver.

Old 04-22-2012, 11:13 PM

878 posts, read 1,653,647 times
Agreed. You've got it or you don't. Books won't do much to change that.

Old 04-22-2012, 11:58 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I second this. Mechanical aptitude is not something you gain from reading a book. It's a shame parents have stopped letting their youngins play with the tools in dad's garage years ago... That is where mechanical aptitude originates if you ask me. Now we have a generation of kids who aren't sure which way to turn a screw driver.
That never stopped me I just brought the tools into the house. My parents flipped when they saw I had taken the second fridge apart. Hey that's their fault for not watching me!!

Old 04-23-2012, 12:41 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
I think I disagree here. While a natural mechanical aptitude is necessary, there might be certain things to know and different technical terms the OP might not have off the top of his head. You don't know the OP, he might be great with tools and working on cars but the test part could be ridiculous. I'm sure we've all been in a point when we're really good at something and then we're asked to be tested on minute things and we just don't know it off the top of our heads.

The guy is probably nervous for a big job offer

I wouldn't know anything off the top of my head, but Barron's usually has pretty good quality books. Amazon reviews are usually pretty good. Try to find a book that gets a lot of hype and read all of the reviews and positive and negative feedback. They will tell you where the book lacks and where it doesn't. You'll be able to pick out the right one based on it being strong in the subjects that you need extra practice with.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:45 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post

I remember changing the alternator working on water pumps and doing breaks with my dad when I was less than 10 years old. Definitely helped me out big time for what I'm in now and I couldn't be more thankful. It is so funny to see some of these engineering students who don't even know how to use a socket wrench or test currents.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:13 AM

41 posts, read 102,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I think I disagree here. While a natural mechanical aptitude is necessary, there might be certain things to know and different technical terms the OP might not have off the top of his head. You don't know the OP, he might be great with tools and working on cars but the test part could be ridiculous. I'm sure we've all been in a point when we're really good at something and then we're asked to be tested on minute things and we just don't know it off the top of our heads.

The guy is probably nervous for a big job offer

I wouldn't know anything off the top of my head, but Barron's usually has pretty good quality books. Amazon reviews are usually pretty good. Try to find a book that gets a lot of hype and read all of the reviews and positive and negative feedback. They will tell you where the book lacks and where it doesn't. You'll be able to pick out the right one based on it being strong in the subjects that you need extra practice with.
Thank you, that's exactly our issue - he is pretty good with mechanical stuff but TERRIBLE at taking tests and gets nervous under pressure. So I'm just trying to help him be as prepared as possible so that he can be more confident on the test.

I'm pretty sure our daughter is going to be the best mechanic in the family though... at 2 she already goes around the house "fixing" things (by banging on them with her toy hammer) and poking at things like the vacuum cleaner asking "How it work, Mommy?"

Old 04-23-2012, 08:59 AM

29,825 posts, read 24,913,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I remember changing the alternator working on water pumps and doing breaks with my dad when I was less than 10 years old. Definitely helped me out big time for what I'm in now and I couldn't be more thankful. It is so funny to see some of these engineering students who don't even know how to use a socket wrench or test currents.
Ever in Japan, engineers tend to start out by working with their hands in their chosen profession. This hands on experience allows them to fully grasp every aspect of their job, and allows them to understand the work from all levels. I think that's the way to go. Some American companies have shifted towards this method of training engineers as well.

Old 05-20-2012, 03:01 PM

3 posts, read 6,037 times
I know that I have a hard time when it comes to testing on a computer or hand written, I have 15 years in the truck equipment field welding, hydraulics, pneumatics, and electrical, but it is different in my opinion to sit down a take a test, I took the maintenace test at VW in Chattanooga and I passed according to a friend of mine that works there, still it was harder than I thought because it is not hands on, so I believe every bit of info you can get always helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment