Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 07:50 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Aren't there already programs in place like this? Through the United Way and such?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
Ever heard of internships? or programs that help criminals back on their feet
Try not to offer logical responses. The OP needs his daily soap box fix before settling back into his armchair to watch the TV soaps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 07:53 AM

147 posts, read 314,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Based on my experience in the corporate workplace, my guess is that "charity employment" would cause a legal boondoogle and create liability for the company. Considering how skittish they are around here about firing somebody, what do they do when the charity period is over?

Donating money and time is much easier for a company than donating employment.
That answers the question. Keep in mind that primary responsibility of a company is to make money, regardless of what kind of business it conducts. You can't just "give a job out of charity" for no reason. That job must produce, otherwise it becomes a liability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Well, that hasn't happened YET. But if some conservatives got their way, it *could* happen, if those people on government support get cut off and they still can't find a job. Or do you actually think that jobs would all of a sudden appear out of the ether just because all those people need to work just so they can eat?

My idea is to *reduce* dependance on charity and government programs by offering the jobless new avenues of getting back into the workforce. If that's not "common sense," than nothing is.
Agreed...our government has an odd way of rewarding certain kinds of behavior and punishing others. People are paid unemployment for the sole reason of being unemployed (and theoretically looking for work, but really how stringent are they on that), yet if someone wants to go to school for learn a trade or get a higher degree (post first one), they're only offered federal loans at best. It does not pay to acquire better skills and be more competent at what you do.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:08 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,290,638 times
The thing about charity is that there is no expectation of reciprocity from the recipients. So a job by definition (I give you money for services rendered) can not be a charity, because you are expecting something in return. Otherwise, its not a job.. its just a handout of money, or I provide training of some sort that will help you get a job.

There are a lot of companies that offer job training or support job training programs offerred by charitable organizations (technical writing for resumes/cover letters; interpersonal communications/public presentation, and technical training). I personally provided such training as a representative of my employer. I also know an a few companies that set aside a % of positons for disabled veterans.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:08 AM

878 posts, read 1,653,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfwitwanderer View Post
Agreed...our government has an odd way of rewarding certain kinds of behavior and punishing others. People are paid unemployment for the sole reason of being unemployed (and theoretically looking for work, but really how stringent are they on that), yet if someone wants to go to school for learn a trade or get a higher degree (post first one), they're only offered federal loans at best. It does not pay to acquire better skills and be more competent at what you do.
Personally I enjoy spending 10 minutes a week doing a job search while staying up all night playing Xbox and sleeping till noon while drawing a $500 weekly unemployment check for 73 weeks.

I'm just collecting what I am rightfully owed. Once my UI check runs out then I'll actually look for a job.

Until then, it's Halo 3.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:12 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Why don't companies do set-asides, like 5% of their hiring needs, to specifically hire people that need jobs and training,
Set aside jobs for people that needs jobs? How many people do you know that don't need jobs?

Old 05-01-2012, 08:15 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfwitwanderer View Post
... yet if someone wants to go to school for learn a trade or get a higher degree (post first one), they're only offered federal loans at best.
That's really not true. Although community colleges don't offer free tuition there are several which offer low-cost scholarship options (not federal loans) while in some areas corporations pick up the tab.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:19 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,599,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
Ever heard of internships? or programs that help criminals back on their feet
Yes and "on the job training" and in my county there are many Christian based retraining and recovery programs with temporary housing, counseling, work preparation training, etc.

My problem with this post is that people come here to the USA from other countries and fair far better than American who feel they are entitled. These foreigners will park cars, drive taxis, be a sample server at Sams, even raise chickens to survive...and do this for 12 hours in a day and then take on a weekend job too. Here in my city someone started picking up dog poop as a business and is doing well with it...probably converting it into fertilzer to resale to the very people that got the poop from, lol. And if the SHTF, the foreigners may be more prepared than the Americans. They know what weeds to pick and eat to feed their families without the children whining and complaining, they know how to wash clothes by hand, they know how to improvise junk into usuable items. So please, don't start that $h!t... no pun intended

Go volunteer somewhere or you can learn a trade or create a new job...something!! Once people see you are motivated to DO something, they will try to help you in some form.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:31 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,521,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyewrist View Post
Yes and "on the job training" and in my county there are many Christian based retraining and recovery programs with temporary housing, counseling, work preparation training, etc.

My problem with this post is that people come here to the USA from other countries and fair far better than American who feel they are entitled. These foreigners will park cars, drive taxis, be a sample server at Sams, even raise chickens to survive...and do this for 12 hours in a day and then take on a weekend job too. Here in my city someone started picking up dog poop as a business and is doing well with it...probably converting it into fertilzer to resale to the very people that got the poop from, lol. And if the SHTF, the foreigners may be more prepared than the Americans. They know what weeds to pick and eat to feed their families without the children whining and complaining, they know how to wash clothes by hand, they know how to improvise junk into usuable items. So please, don't start that $h!t... no pun intended

Go volunteer somewhere or you can learn a trade or create a new job...something!! Once people see you are motivated to DO something, they will try to help you in some form.
Of course we feel entitled - why is this such a bad word these days? For generations, we have been taught that we, as Americans, deserve a high standard of living. And I still believe that, even if others don't. The problem is that these immigrants come in and try to impress their 3rd world way of living upon us - working 70 hours a week in the hot sun is par for the course for them, but for us Americans we know better than to stoop to that kind of labor. We're the kind of country that develops scientists and engineers, so we can build machines to do all the dirty work, and enable us to live like the Jetsons. Or we used to be like that, rather, since we've departed from the ideals and values that made this country so great to begin with.

Reading the responses on here is depressing to say the least - obviously we've got a lot further to fall before this country even thinks about turning things around.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:04 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,744,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I'd be really interested to know when was the last time someone actually starved to death in the US and from whence you gather source information to come to the conclusion you've reached about the withholding of food stamps leading to mass starvation. Just curious.
Negative proof fallacy, eh?

You're right, there's no data to prove these things. It's not because it didn't happened, but because no one bothered to keep tally of that type of data until the social programs were put into place to allebviate these ills (because people didn't give a **** at the time).

I'm sure upwards of 3/4 of the country was living below poverty during the heart of the Great Depression, and thousands of people starved to death. Even before the depression, I'm sure a lot people lived below poverty then than they do now, and a lot more people starved to death then than they do now.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:12 AM

154 posts, read 524,698 times
The words "entitled", "deserve" lead to a victim syndrome in America. We need more people to pick themselves up and scratch and claw their way back to society. Immigration isn't the problem - its the concept of entitlement and the lack of willingness and flexibility to change, adapt, and fight.

This country was founded by immigrants who had the flexibility to change, adapt, and fight. It wasn't founded nor did it become successful because people were entitled and deserved good things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment