Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2012, 09:44 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,696,194 times

Advertisements

No one should be a stay at home person throughout their life. Its take two people working hard. Stop dumping everything on men or in some cases women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 09:55 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,229,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortpes View Post
No one should be a stay at home person throughout their life. Its take two people working hard. Stop dumping everything on men or in some cases women.
What 'takes two people working hard'?? What if the couple had everything they need with one person working?

What if the SAH person relieves the workload of the other spouse, taking care of everything else and enabling them to focus on their work and kick up their heels and relax at home instead of pitching in with half the household duties. I just don't get how is it that the stay-at-home partner keeps getting blamed for 'dumping' everything on the working spouse, when in reality it's exactly the opposite?

Old 05-25-2012, 05:33 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,636,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
Everybody is different. Just because someone doesn`t like the same things you do or want the same life you want doesn`t mean they are wasting their life away. There may be some people out there that work circles around you. They could say you are wasting your life away. Everything is relative. Why can`t people understand that there isn`t one size fits all and just because someone thinks or lives differently from you doesn`t make them wrong.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I just want to make it clear that I don't stay home. I work. But I am not going to get so riled up over those that stay home. I am not going to resort to name calling and demeaning someone else's choice. In my opinion when people resort to such tactics, they are only showing how unhappy they are in their own lives, no matter how much they "claim" they are happy and fulfilled. Happy people don't demean and devalue others.

Old 05-25-2012, 05:37 AM

417 posts, read 1,128,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
What I have an issue with is that she believes the rest of us don't have values or honor because we choose to live in the city and work outside the home. She can do what she wants, but she can't tell me what I do is wrong.
Oh no, no....you misunderstand me. I'm not judging anyone - what I'm doing is requesting that they not judgeme.

Old 05-25-2012, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louise222 View Post
Uh, this is highly offensive. I couldn't care less what you do with your life, I am the opposite of you and do not feel right if I am not pursuing a fulfilling career/in the work force. However stating that means that I am not an honorable woman is a little bit ridiculous. Welcome to 2012, love.
The year we live in is irrelevant. Right is right and wrong is wrong, and this doesn't change with time. It's my belief that society brainwashes today's women to take on a lifestyle they weren't intended for. We all have to live in society, but I, for one, do not have to agree with it. BTW, I said honoring women, not honorable women - women are the nurturers and should be respected for that, as opposed to how much money they earn.

Old 05-25-2012, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
In my opinion when people resort to such tactics, they are only showing how unhappy they are in their own lives, no matter how much they "claim" they are happy and fulfilled. Happy people don't demean and devalue others.
I couldn't agree more!!!!

Old 05-25-2012, 05:45 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,636,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortpes View Post
No one should be a stay at home person throughout their life

And when did you become the authority on what other people should do in their lives? You can't tell others what they should and should not be doing in their own lives.

Old 05-25-2012, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
And when did you become the authority on what other people should do in their lives? You can't tell others what they should and should not be doing in their own lives.
Precisely. I didn't start this thread to demean career or working women, I was merely curious as to how many women share my own choices and values.

Old 05-25-2012, 05:51 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,638,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by us2indaup View Post
The year we live in is irrelevant. Right is right and wrong is wrong, and this doesn't change with time. It's my belief that society brainwashes today's women to take on a lifestyle they weren't intended for. We all have to live in society, but I, for one, do not have to agree with it. BTW, I said honoring women, not honorable women - women are the nurturers and should be respected for that, as opposed to how much money they earn.
Do you really not believe you are judging others and being rather offensive?

But once again-- I will point out that if you believe modern society has brainwashed women-- then you missed my entire point that women wanting MORE abilities to define WHO they are outside of just being daughter, wife, mother, grandmother, widow, etc is NOT a new society brainwashing attempt.

This has happened for MILLENNIA and I daresay probably since women were told to stay at home and just tend house and children.

Women still in cultures where they are told they should only be at home struggle with it as well. Sure you have some who maybe this is their entire life's goal, but as someone who was worked with women in very traditional societies (indians and many muslims) MANY women still get that same sense of... am I really just this?

And your husband may be a lovely person, but many women who are forced either by tradition or society are not so lucky. As I said earlier, absolute power over a person can pervert the power holder. Not in all cases, but in many cases it can even with people with "morals." Worse when women are then beaten, treated as lower than a human with an appendage between the legs, or when that husband has a wandering eye and leaves them for the newer model in a predicament where the woman cannot feasibly take care of her self or children, or if the husband dies without properly being able to support his wife after death.

If it makes you happy-- wonderful. But it is NOT an American value nor will I say a common society value. It was something that existed as tradition where women historically have had little say in their own destiny.

So... wonderful, enjoy your life. I neither support your nor don't support you. It's your life and as long as you don't expect me to support you via entitlements or charity for making that life decision-- then hey we are all good.

Old 05-25-2012, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
Well the fact that you said that your husband "coerced" you to work implies that you did balk at his request.
Of course I balked. I never envisioned myself holding an outside job, it never entered my head as I was growing up. At that time, I did have a young child at home, was adjusting to marriage and to a new environment, and I knew I would not be happy away from my home. I wasn't - it led to serious trouble in my marriage and we nearly divorced because of a job I held. Working outside the home is alien to me, I absolutely hate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment