Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 03:36 PM

417 posts, read 1,128,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
.... How much can you clean?
Spoken like a man who has no real idea what's involved in being a housewife. I tend the yard, raise a garden, raise poultry, sew quilts, and volunteer at the local animal shelter. One of my main problems with having an outside job is, I just don't have time for it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2012, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
You mean to be a housewife without having children? I worked until I had kids, then stopped a decade ago (my first was 18 months and I was pregnant with my second), though during the past 5 years I've started my own business. I think you should do what makes you (and your husband) happy, but what would you do all day long (assuming you don't have young kids at home)? I guess I'd find it boring. Women did it many years ago, but they didn't have modern washing machines and dishwashers and things like that, plus they often grew their own food and had livestock to care for... if I didn't have children living here, I could probably clean the house in 2-3 hours per week and spend another few hours shopping for necessities, but then what?

If you're referring to being a SAHM, though, there are lots of women who do that. Most of my friends stay home with the kids.
My one child is long since grown and on her own, but I find that when I do have an outside job, I actually feel stressed and guilty for not being at home, where I feel I "belong". No one ever taught me that, it is just the way I've always felt, and I felt the same about school. Maybe a woman living in town, or in an apartment, would claim to feel bored, although I find it hard to imagine why - no matter where you live, you can find something productive to do.

Old 05-19-2012, 04:29 PM

841 posts, read 1,917,729 times
People who have a PROBLEM with others doing this are usually in debt or cannot actually imagine scaling down their Yuppy lifestyle or living frugally.

It's usually a sacrifice for the stay home parent, not a cushy opportunity to watch Jerry Springer and maybe wash a few dishes after sleeping in till noon. I have always gotten up by 6 am, I am the last in my family to get a hair cut, or new clothes, I don't have a car of my own (and haven't for years).

Also you have to be happy with simple things. No trips to Disney unless the working parent makes $$$.

I home school right now but that will be over in June. I plan on going back to work if the economy will let me. If not, I am going to try and work for myself.

Old 05-19-2012, 05:00 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
I don't know any women, right now, who stay home and who do not have children.

When the children are grown - then maybe I will know some women who stay home, don't work; and don't have children at home.

I personally don't think I could do it ~ because I don't like houswork, cleaning, etc.

But everyone should do what makes THEM happy and not worry about what people thing. Hey, if your husband makes enough money for you to stay home and that's what you want ~ then I say, good for you. Do what makes you happy.

Old 05-19-2012, 05:16 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,274,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by us2indaup View Post
Spoken like a man who has no real idea what's involved in being a housewife. I tend the yard, raise a garden, raise poultry, sew quilts, and volunteer at the local animal shelter. One of my main problems with having an outside job is, I just don't have time for it!
A lot of those sound like hobbies more then actual work though. Do you have no time for it or are you filling your time with other things do you do not have to work?

Old 05-19-2012, 05:33 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef.sunny22 View Post
People who have a PROBLEM with others doing this are usually in debt or cannot actually imagine scaling down their Yuppy lifestyle or living frugally.

Some have. Others who wonder about this perhaps have had similar experiences to my own, where a family SAHM who had her head in the sand regarding probability of divorce, upon divorce, and hubby losing his well-paying job, became 100% dependent on me. Thankfully, after 1.5 years, she found someone else willing to accept that burden. So my position now has evolved to a very simple, "The OP should do as she wishes, as long as she now never expects anyone besides her spouse to care for her financially, and I include government programs in the equation". This lifestyle choice should come with the acceptence of any and all consequences without involving anyone else.

Old 05-19-2012, 06:03 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,673,116 times
Any job you can do high as **** isn't a job.

Old 05-19-2012, 06:19 PM

7 posts, read 11,949 times
It's kinda funny to read the comments that say things like, "well, that sounds boring, I mean how much can you clean? THEN WHAT DO YOU DO AFTER? SIT ON THE COUCH AND EAT BON BONS? derp!"

So, what's wrong with having hobbies anyway? Some hobbies you can actually make a living off of. If I could be a stay at home wife, I would go back to doing art...always wanted to learn how to sculpt and paint. If one ends up being good at it, you can make some good pocket change from it. There's also learning other trades that can make you money at home as well. Part-time jobs are always an option too...and how about charity work? Just because you're not technically "working" doesn't mean it's a useless, waste of time. I would think doing these things would be way more self-fulfilling than doing the 9-5 grind. Perhaps the people against it are just jealous?

Old 05-19-2012, 06:22 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,933,771 times
Here's the problem: Wife wants to drop out of the workforce and stay at home for hobbies or whatever. Guess what, husband wants to also. Maybe he should join you so you can have all the time in the world for hobbies while you're homeless on the streets.

Old 05-19-2012, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef.sunny22 View Post
I feel exactly the same way. Don't get in debt in the first place and stop buying $5 cups of coffee. When I last worked full-time I chos not to eat lunch because I was making $7 an hour and I figured if I spent money on lunch, it was the same as working an hour for nothing. Learn to live on less - it isn't hard. I can't remember the last time I bought clothes from a store other than Goodwill or Salvation Army.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment