Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2012, 01:06 PM

198 posts, read 388,141 times

Advertisements

I spent a little over 7 years in the healthcare field working in a nurse's office at a local community college. After leaving my part-time receptionist position in August of 2007, I stayed home to engage in elder care with my 84-year-old grandfather. After my grandfather passed away from pneumonia in March of 2010, I realized I had to enter the workforce again and knew what I was up against, as the economy had progressively gotten worse since I left my part-time reception job.

After an exhausting year of searching, I finally landed a full-time, entry-level Specimen Technician position with Quest Diagnostics on the local Navy base accessioning recruit blood draws. After a couple of months of dealing with too much politics between Quest and the Navy and being placed in the middle of certain situations that needed t be worked out between the two entities, I decided I had enough of all the bull#### and gave a 2+ week resignation to Quest. (Wanted to give them enough time to find a replacement I could train since my supervisor was going on a 1 week vacation, a vacation she never informed me about BUT that's for another time.)

Several months later, in October of that same year, I finally acquired another full-time, entry-level accessioning job with the Department of The Navy in their Midwest drug screening laboratory. I started the job in December of 2011 (anyone who knows Civil Service tends to know it takes awhile to come on board) and was quite happy in the beginning. However, the happiness quickly turned into unhappiness due to poor management and wishy-washy, untrustable co-workers. My body also couldn't have some of the more physical aspects of the job (back was constantly hurting from lifting extremely large batches of urine samples and my wrist couldn't handle all the twisting, tilting, and pouring of urine from bottles to test tubes). So, I abruptly quit (in Civil Service one can usually quit at any time, a 2-week notice usually isn't necessary).

I write excellent cover letters and have a résumé I'm extremely proud of. It's quite cohesive and solid. Obtaining interviews isn't a problem for me. It's actually getting the job offer.

My problems are rather two-fold:

1. I have 7 years and 2 months of steady employment as a healthcare receptionist, then 2 years and 7 months of doing nothing followed by a short-term job of 2 months and 4 months and 7 months in between of doing absolutely nothing.

Mind you, I try to be as truthful as I can about leaving each job and how hard I was looking in between the later 2 medical lab jobs I had, but some people just don't seem impressed with the above no matter what. Then again, I guess one can't please everyone. There will always be at least one unpleased person, right?

2. I have nurse's office experience and not everyone sees that as valid enough experience for work in a doctor's, dentist's, orthodontics, optometrist/ophthalmologist's, counseling or chiropractor's office.

I'm a little perplexed as to WHY some in the medical community feel as if my experience in a nurse’s office is beneath that of an actual medical office, but some most certainly feel that way. I'm always trying to impress on others that just because I worked as a receptionist office doesn't mean I can't do the duties of a receptionist in an actual medical office. IMHO, the duties of a receptionist in a nurse's office aren't any different from that of an actual medical office.

If anyone has any ideas or thoughts as to how I can overcome these 2 hurdles, especially the 2nd one, I'd certainly like to hear what you have to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment