Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2012, 04:31 PM

3 posts, read 13,799 times

Advertisements

15 years ago I was terminated from company A for a minor misjudgment, and mistake on my part. Company A a huge company with multiple business units. I currently work for company B which company A just bought. The business unit is completely different than the unit I was in when terminated from company A 15 years ago. Nonetheless, this previous company has bought my current company. It's not like I was searching for my previous employer, it's purely coincidence. I'm so stresses out now as if the deal goes through, I feel like I'm going to get fired again as soon as they process my SSN#. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Am I "toast" or will I be ok?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 05:38 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter00 View Post
15 years ago I was terminated from company A for a minor misjudgment, and mistake on my part. Company A a huge company with multiple business units. I currently work for company B which company A just bought. The business unit is completely different than the unit I was in when terminated from company A 15 years ago. Nonetheless, this previous company has bought my current company. It's not like I was searching for my previous employer, it's purely coincidence. I'm so stresses out now as if the deal goes through, I feel like I'm going to get fired again as soon as they process my SSN#. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Am I "toast" or will I be ok?
I have a similar situation as well. 5 years ago, I was terminated from Co A as a 1099 subcontractor. In my line of work (insur), certification is required as well as appointment. Consolidation has reared its ugly head, resulting in 2 separate buyouts of two other companies that I am contracted with. One cut off my renewal commissions immediately, while the other one is promising to pay me renewals that were sold prior to the company acquisition. Your situation happened so long ago though. surely your current record with Company B must count for something?

Old 05-22-2012, 08:14 PM

Thanks. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Old 05-22-2012, 08:48 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Given that Company A is "a huge company with multiple business units" and your role in Company B is "completely different than the unit I was in when terminated from company A 15 years ago" I would not loose any sleep over this.

I have heard of bad things happening to people in situations with smaller companies and the "memory" of some past screw-up still fresh in the minds of managers from the old firm, but even then the key is NOT what happened before but how good you are what the new combined firm needs to do and knowing the cultural of most big companies you MIGHT end up with a key role as long as you have a good attitude.

BTW Pretty much the only thing that "HR" will process is a consolidation of payroll and benefits. It is too much work to try and cross reference HR files from long ago.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:44 AM

Thx Chet - I hope you're right. I'd hate to be crucified twice for a dumb mistake I made 15 years ago. I still feel like I'll always be carrying a "monkey on my back" if this all goes through which I feel will keep me from out performing others as I don't want to really draw too much attention to myself. It's kind of unfortunate as I'd like to "shine" in the new company, but am somewhat afraid to. I feel like I just need to blend in and not make any waves.
Thoughts?

Old 05-23-2012, 08:31 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Really depends on the role you have and the value your experience from 15 years ago might be to the current organization(s).

If you have a lot of different skills and interact with many different layers of the organization maybe it makes to stretch a bit, if you are more comfortable just doing a very narrow but thorough job most organization value that too.

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment