Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 11:42 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
So what would happen if you simply stopped paying? You're going to have to stop paying once the target job ends. At this point, you are merely a slave. I blame mostly the idiots who approved these types of loans, particularly those for unmarketable degrees. They should be stuck holding the bag to some extent, and they will be once you can no longer pay. Why the heck 20-somethings are starting life off in such crippling debt is beyond me. I'm not saying you don't share in some of the blame in this situation, but the student loan industry most definitely requires some scrutinizing.
When one opts to live in the middle of nowhere, quite frankly, they had best have gotten an inheritence capable of sustaining them for life. I cannot blame the loan companies in this case. One could just as easily do what andywire does for a living, or go to auto mechanic school, and those loans would be equally useless when one lives in the middle of nowhere, and refuses to change anything they have done in the past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2012, 12:36 PM

926 posts, read 1,256,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.B.C.420 View Post
Sorry, just need to vent and if you have anything rude to say then please keep it to yourself. Don't give me any textbook advice like, "Well you think negative then negative things will happen." Most of us are tired of hearing it because it's B.S. Many people have a right to feel the way they do in this recession(it's actually a depression) and things are only going to get worse.

Is anybody else going through this period in their life? Feeling like you'll never move up the ranks in society and fulfill your life long dreams and goals?

Was wondering why all suggestions given are met with......so I went back and re-read the OP.

Apparently, the purpose of this thread was to vent.

Old 06-02-2012, 02:12 PM

644 posts, read 1,145,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
this situation calls for one thing: Hello Mom and Dad, Hello sister or brother. Hi Aunt or Uncle. You get the point. Call some relatives or great friends in a better area, explain your situation and move in temporary with them and start over. Get out of **** town!!!
That would be lovely if I was close to my relatives or I have relatives in other states, but most of them live here in SC.

Old 06-02-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
When one opts to live in the middle of nowhere, quite frankly, they had best have gotten an inheritence capable of sustaining them for life. I cannot blame the loan companies in this case. One could just as easily do what andywire does for a living, or go to auto mechanic school, and those loans would be equally useless when one lives in the middle of nowhere, and refuses to change anything they have done in the past.
Well what teenager can predict what they are going to do in 7 or 8 years from now? I didn't "choose" to live in SC. Stop assuming so much. I had to move back here because I was a child at the time and when you're the child you have to go where your parent goes.

You don't know the full story of everybody's situation, so stop assuming.

Old 06-02-2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redd1skng View Post
Was wondering why all suggestions given are met with......so I went back and re-read the OP.

Apparently, the purpose of this thread was to vent.
Not just that, but some can relate to how I feel also. I find most of the threads on here to be vent threads anyway. Doesn't make it any less valuable.

Old 06-02-2012, 02:26 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.B.C.420 View Post
Well what teenager can predict what they are going to do in 7 or 8 years from now? I didn't "choose" to live in SC. Stop assuming so much. I had to move back here because I was a child at the time and when you're the child you have to go where your parent goes.

You don't know the full story of everybody's situation, so stop assuming.

And now you are NOT a child, but acting like one anyway. As if your feet were planted into SC soil now, incapable of even considering moving.

Old 06-02-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
And now you are NOT a child, but acting like one anyway. As if your feet were planted into SC soil now, incapable of even considering moving.
It doesn't matter. Once you move to a place with limited options and you have little resources to move, you have to try your best to deal with the little bit you have.

Also, are you not too bright to understand that moving is expensive? It's not easy for somebody to just pack up and go. If that's the case then you would see why some people have to stay where they are and find what they can before they can move. The reason my father always had no problem in moving was because he always had a job on the other end, but those were the times where a job like that wasn't hard to find. His job was willing to help him with moving expenses, education, etc.

I know it comes to a shock to you, but it's not always people's fault they are underemployed or unemployed. I know let it marinate it...it's really shocking...I know.

You shouldn't catch an attitude with you if you don't know everybody's full story. I don't expect people like you to understand anyway.

Old 06-02-2012, 04:20 PM

29 posts, read 44,842 times
I am in the same situation as op. In small towns, there usually aren't very many job opportunities that pay a living wage unless it's a specified skill like nursing, engineering, etc. I live in Palmdale, California and most jobs are in retail and don't pay a living wage, and even those jobs are hard to get. unemployment here is like 15 percent. Los Angeles is about 60 miles away. traveling back and forth trying to find a job out there isn't free or cheap. I'm lucky and have found a way out of this situation. I will have the money to move soon. And when I do, you can bet your ass that it won't be to a car dependent state. Never again.

To the op, b.b.c. As you have noticed by now, most won't understand your predicament because they haven't gone through it themselves. They didn't stand out in 100 degree weather as an overcapacity bus passed by without stopping, leaving you to wait another hour. There's a reason why people pay tons and tons of cash for cars in America. It's not for convenience, it's for sanity.

Old 06-02-2012, 04:49 PM

29,825 posts, read 24,913,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggerburn View Post
I am in the same situation as op. In small towns, there usually aren't very many job opportunities that pay a living wage unless it's a specified skill like nursing, engineering, etc. I live in Palmdale, California and most jobs are in retail and don't pay a living wage, and even those jobs are hard to get. unemployment here is like 15 percent. Los Angeles is about 60 miles away. traveling back and forth trying to find a job out there isn't free or cheap. I'm lucky and have found a way out of this situation. I will have the money to move soon. And when I do, you can bet your ass that it won't be to a car dependent state. Never again.

To the op, b.b.c. As you have noticed by now, most won't understand your predicament because they haven't gone through it themselves. They didn't stand out in 100 degree weather as an overcapacity bus passed by without stopping, leaving you to wait another hour. There's a reason why people pay tons and tons of cash for cars in America. It's not for convenience, it's for sanity.
I'm sorry, yes, not one of us understands what it is like to have fallen on a difficult point in our life such as this. Well, allow me to burst your bubble. I was laid off about 2 years ago from my full time job. Still had two part time jobs to make ends meet, but couldn't make it without the FT job. Guess what? I was living in a state with high unemployment, and limited opportunity for me. Sure, I applied to jobs in my state, but I also applied to plenty more out of my state. It took 2 weeks for me to find a job in another state. All I had to do was buy a round trip train ticket, get a hotel for a night, speak like a big boy and shake some hands. And since I'm not stupid, I brought plenty of resumes for the other interviews I had in that location. I even stopped in with resumes in hand to chat with some of the other business owners in that area. The cost? Probably around $150 all together, and I had a job lined up the first go around. And guess what else? It's tax deductible.

I know my experience may not be the norm. I will say employers like to see people, especially young people, with some drive, initiative, and their head screwed on straight.

Potential employers DO NOT like:
1) Sob stories
2) Excuses
3) Blaming outside forces
4) More excuses

Sorry, that is simply the way it works out there. And what I don't understand... I don't have anything behind my name. All I have is a track record as being a decent worker and someone willing to put my all into the job I do. My competition is educated to the brim and apparently has had opportunities that I could never afford. Where the heck are all these excuses coming from?

Old 06-03-2012, 01:02 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,297,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
I am pretty sure my posts have done nothing but deal with reality. I have never said or even implied public transportation exsists everywhere.

If you go back to the OP's original post it spells out how dire her situation currently is and that it will probably get worse. Early on in the op's posts she indicated she did not have a car nor the means to get a car. As soon as myself and a couple others offered suggestions that might help get the OP out of her dire situation, several people including you hopped on the "Not Having A Car Is Not An Option" bandwagon. I am ok with that. You are entitled to your opinion. However, if you are not going to offer even a single suggestion that might help the OP get out of her situation, perhaps you should not be flaming those of us that have.

I have nothing more to add to this thread. So I will just say I hope things work out for the OP.

I'm gone.
First off, I didn't read any of your other posts, only the one in which you replied to me.

I am not be lumped in with other posters, as I am not doing that to you.

You responded with the idea that public transportation sucks and that not being an excuse and blah, blah, blah.

This response had zero to do with what I posted. I posted about the reality that many Americans live in places where there is no public transportation, and that for those people, it is not a case of public transportation being a nuisance to use. It doesn't exist.

You can't just wish this huge problem that impacts many Americans ability to get and keep a job away.

So that is why I wrote, "Please deal with reality".

I didn't flame you. I was not attacking anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment