Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 06:22 PM

644 posts, read 1,145,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post
Oh, gosh. I feel the exact same way you do. I hate the small town I live in. I live two hours southwest of Indianapolis. I try to apply for work in Indianapolis because that would certainly be an improvement, but the employers seem to have concerns about me living two hours away. I tell them I would happily move. I would move anywhere in the country right now for a job that pays more that $30,000 a year and offers benefits. I would even consider a few international locations as well.

My hick town doesn't have very many jobs either. I am stuck in a low paying manufacturing job that I hate. I may not have my job after December though. My company is shipping jobs overseas. Although, my low paying manufacturing job is better than the alternatives here. The alternatives are McDonalds and Dairy Queen.

Everyone here is on welfare. That is how anyone supports themselves here. The cool thing in this town is to have sex and get pregnant and then go apply for food stamps. Yeah, that is seen as the "cool" thing to do here. Two coworkers are pregnant(and unmarried) right now and only make $9 an hour. Gee, I wonder which line they will be standing in 9 months from now. They seem proud of their accomplishments as well. Anyhow, anyone who is single here and doesn't have someone to have sex with is looked down upon.
Lord, it sounds like this miserable town. The women here I see are usually married or they have kids and live their baby daddies, then they don't have to work and depend on themselves. I see the shopping in the morning and afternoon and I'm like, "WTF do YOU DO?!"

That's terrible. That's all people can depend on is go on welfare than try to do something for themselves. I hate people like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destrella View Post
Hi, Did you try going to any non-profit centers, you may not need that kind of help, but they usually have lots of information about what is going on in your area. For instance: a food bank can let you know about any jobs -word of mouth, they may hire you part time. An animal shelter is always busy. I tried looking for a car through a donations site, but they only give cars to refugees - who need it to get around to work -duh! Anyway, I found that when you hit a certain age they are leary of hiring you. I think those are the ones that will seriously stick around. Destrella
People here tend to stereotype people my age and don't bother with me because they feel like I'm just going to end up leaving within a couple of months. They think that everybody my age is looking for a high paying, luxury...trust me I would love that someday, but right now I don't see that happening anytime soon. Most people my age are just like everybody else, we are just looking for something with a decent income to survive on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destrella View Post
Hi TWIS,
I hear what you are saying, but when you have children and daycare you can not waste 4 hours using mass transit. The town I live by is closed down and no buses take you to anywhere close to you need to go. 96% of my area uses cars to travel anywhere. Employers ask before anything else: do you have reliable transportation? A car. If you do not - you won't be hired. I have compassion for those without a vehicle that are in need of one, father or mother. Destrella
Exactly. There's a reason why employers ask you this and when all you can depend on is your feet or other people to take you places then you're screwed. I don't live in NYC and nowhere close to it so public transporation is out the question. Everybody I know here has a car or if they don't they carpool.

Old 05-29-2012, 06:40 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I can't even believe what I'm reading. You have opportunities but you aren't taking them because you don't have a car?

I've gone through the whole public transit thing myself. For a long period of time, that required FOUR HOURS on that damn bus each day! FOUR HOURS!

Other times it required I WALK THE LAST MILE because the bus didn't even go down that road but I did it because I wanted the job!

Public transit sucks! You will get no argument from me on that. It's absolutely HORRID but you know what just chaps my hide here? You have options, opportunities and you are not taking them because you don't want to find a solution, a way to get to those jobs because you don't have a car.

I am willing to take anything, regardless, no matter if I have to ride a bus to a town an hour away, to work and still nothing....

You have opportunities and you say NO? And now want sympathy?

That infuriates me to no end.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:22 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.B.C.420 View Post
So that's all you took out of it, huh?
Please.

I read the whole thing. You talk about how your FB friends are "bragging" about their lives while you have nothing.

You talk about how you live in some small town and can't find work there.

But you also talk about how you CAN find work in surrounding areas but you don't have a car and apparently, you are too good for public transportation.

That is where my sympathy ends.

And it's obvious that all you took from my reply was how to feel more sorry for yourself. I GET it what it's like to worry about a job, worry about money, worry about eating, worry about bills. I GET IT! I totally understand but what I do NOT understand is how someone who talks like that is UNWILLING to take the damn bus to get work!

Old 05-29-2012, 09:34 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Please.

I read the whole thing. You talk about how your FB friends are "bragging" about their lives while you have nothing.

But you also talk about how you CAN find work in surrounding areas but you don't have a car and apparently, you are too good for public transportation.

And it's obvious that all you took from my reply was how to feel more sorry for yourself. I GET it what it's like to worry about a job, worry about money, worry about eating, worry about bills. I GET IT! I totally understand but what I do NOT understand is how someone who talks like that is UNWILLING to take the damn bus to get work!
But to be fair not everyone lives in an area where public transportation is an option. I moved from an area where I could step out my front door, walk a few blocks a catch a train to downtown LA.

Now I'm in a more rural area in another state, the "city" is 40 miles away. There is no bus service in this area, other than limited service that just goes to a few shopping centers. Only seniors and teens use it.

Working people complained that they would like to try it, but it doesn't even stop or go by the few office/medical complexes around here.

It doesn't even connect with the next county over to transfer to another line.

You're SOL around here if you don't drive.

So not everyone has buses as an option.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Please.

1. If you choose to believe I don't have anything in life...then that's your problem. I have nothing to prove to you.

2. If I was "too good for public transportation" then I wouldn't spent almost half of my life sacrificing many opportunities by depending on others to take me places, also may I must add that I had to ride the bus to get to class everyday to get my education...AND I finished.

3. Last time I checked I lived in SC and 98% of the people have a car. As a matter of fact I don't live in NYC and I don't live in a huge city and the surrounding places that are nearby are not public transportation areas where people can depend on a ride. So the only option people have here is a taxi...a taxi is expensive to ride back and forth every single because you have to PAY somebody to take you places.

4. Why are you getting so nasty and irate? It's just a message board. You don't know my personal life.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
But to be fair not everyone lives in an area where public transportation is an option. I moved from an area where I could step out my front door, walk a few blocks a catch a train to downtown LA.

Now I'm in a more rural area in another state, the "city" is 40 miles away. There is no bus service in this area, other than limited service that just goes to a few shopping centers. Only seniors and teens use it.

Working people complained that they would like to try it, but it doesn't even stop or go by the few office/medical complexes around here.

It doesn't even connect with the next county over to transfer to another line.

You're SOL around here if you don't drive.

So not everyone has buses as an option.
People don't understand that unless you live in a big city like NYC, LA, Atlanta, or even Charlotte...public transportation is out the question because it's not even available to you. There's a reason why most people either own a car where I live or they depend on close family members and friends to take them places.

People on this board I swear...smdh. They have this attitude, "Well if it was easy for me, then it's easy for you too!" Life doesn't work that way.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:23 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.B.C.420 View Post
People don't understand that unless you live in a big city like NYC, LA, Atlanta, or even Charlotte...public transportation is out the question because it's not even available to you. There's a reason why most people either own a car where I live or they depend on close family members and friends to take them places.

People on this board I swear...smdh. They have this attitude, "Well if it was easy for me, then it's easy for you too!" Life doesn't work that way.
Girl, please!

It has NOT been easy! That is the POINT! It's NOT easy! But when you have options, opportunities and you won't take them because you don't want to get on the bus, I have no sympathy for you.

You did not say you have no access to public transportation, you said you "dealt with" them before. You are saying you are unwilling to take the bus. Don't try to change your story now.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:12 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,636,205 times
Quote:
Girl, please!

It has NOT been easy! That is the POINT! It's NOT easy! But when you have options, opportunities and you won't take them because you don't want to get on the bus, I have no sympathy for you.

You did not say you have no access to public transportation, you said you "dealt with" them before. You are saying you are unwilling to take the bus. Don't try to change your story now.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:15 PM

750 posts, read 1,445,899 times
As someone who is handicapped and uses public transportation. Most parts of the US have little or none. I grew up in the South my area had nothing at all. What few areas in the rural US that have public transportation is very limited service to a few shopping centers and supermarkets. The hours and days are limited. Thus no one would actually hire you if you use it. Nights and weekends most often are not serviced. I live in an area with what most would call good public transportation. A few times over the years I have been late or missed work bus never came. Now with budget cuts their are outlaying areas of the city. I can no longer get to simple as that. When you apply they ask do you have reliable transportation this means a car. If you ride the bus your not getting hired simple as that. So even if she has public transportation it may be rotten in terms of hours and service. Thus little use in terms of working or getting a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment