Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 08:42 PM

21 posts, read 31,862 times

Advertisements

Anyone here ever re-locate without a job, post 2008 recession? How did it go? Were you able to find a job out of state?

My story: currently 28 yrs old, no kids, BA in English, soon to be divorced. My spouse wants divorce, I do not. I'm still very much in love with my spouse and hope to reconcile, despite the inevitable divorce (we already filed, he is buying me out of my portion of house). I live in a small New England state.

I work at 2 schools and make under $11 an hour. I like my jobs, but can not live off this income as a single person. Considering re-locating to Philly, but moving w/o a job lined up is terrifying, esp. going through a divorce and coping w/ that major life change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 02:43 AM

878 posts, read 1,653,647 times
So get a job then relocate to said job.

I am 37 with no kids and had nothing holding me down to the Savannah, GA area so when I found a job in Seattle I was gone...

I left Georgia on 5/17/11, arrived in Washington on 5/22/11, and started work on 5/27/11.

The last year has been great... no doubt the best decision of my life to move out here. You only live once and a change of scenery worked for me.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:58 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,035,522 times
If you can find a place that will hire out of town people, see if they'll hire you.

That being said, I've run into plenty of ads that flat-out state "local candidates only" or place an upper limit on how far away the candidate can live (30 miles, for example.) Given the horrible economy, most places don't have to look outside their local area for employees if they are hiring. There are some exceptions, of course, but not many, IMHO.

Moving without a job can be a really, really bad idea unless you have family to live with or something similar. A lot of places - even apartments - expect you to be employed before they'll rent to you, so you may be out of luck there, too.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:08 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,164,704 times
do you have any friends or family in places where the economy isn't too awful?

Old 05-30-2012, 08:09 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,200,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28andrelocate View Post
Anyone here ever re-locate without a job, post 2008 recession? How did it go? Were you able to find a job out of state?

My story: currently 28 yrs old, no kids, BA in English, soon to be divorced. My spouse wants divorce, I do not. I'm still very much in love with my spouse and hope to reconcile, despite the inevitable divorce (we already filed, he is buying me out of my portion of house). I live in a small New England state.

I work at 2 schools and make under $11 an hour. I like my jobs, but can not live off this income as a single person. Considering re-locating to Philly, but moving w/o a job lined up is terrifying, esp. going through a divorce and coping w/ that major life change.

What state? I was thinking of actually attempting to relocate to New Hampshire....is it really that bad?

By the way, why Philly?

Old 05-30-2012, 08:27 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:

I moved from Alexandria, VA to the Louisville/Ft. Knox, KY area in May 2010 w/o a job. I moved in with family. I was totally unemployed for four months. Worked a temp warehouse job for a couple of weeks, then a 30/hrs PT gig for three month, then in Feb 2011 got my present FT gig.

I may have to do this again since my current position will likely be eliminated later this year. I'm considering moving in with other family in Virginia.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:42 AM

21 posts, read 31,862 times
My parents and brother live in Philly. I found a room in a house that I could rent for really cheap.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:48 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,200,392 times
Quote:
My parents and brother live in Philly. I found a room in a house that I could rent for really cheap.

My only knock on Philly is that its a decrepit dump outside of Market Street or some of the higher end neighborhoods and is crime infested.

However, if you can handle that, I think Philly has great points. It has a relatively low cost of living compared to salaries, especially for a metro that isnt in a tailspin (such as Detroit). Plus, family is a good thing to have around to help you get on your feet.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:49 AM

2,098 posts, read 3,525,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
My only knock on Philly is that its a decrepit dump outside of Market Street or some of the higher end neighborhoods and is crime infested.

However, if you can handle that, I think Philly has great points. It has a relatively low cost of living compared to salaries, especially for a metro that isnt in a tailspin (such as Detroit). Plus, family is a good thing to have around to help you get on your feet.
Philly has it's ups and downs. I was there last weekend and although dirty, it's a pretty good time and very bike friendly which I particularly like. The SEPTA is useless for the most part though, except for maybe going to PHL.

I left LA 1.7 years ago to go back to NJ. I was unemployed for about 2 months and then got another job and have been working there since December 2010.

However, I am currently being considered for another position back in LA (being flown out to an interview) so I might be back out there soon enough less than 2 years after I left

I'm young though, so aside an ex-GF slash f-buddy and my immediately family (parents divorced) I see no reason to stay in NJ if another opportunity arises in CA.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:58 AM

2,682 posts, read 4,481,447 times
I did. I quit my job in CT in April 2010 and moved to Florida. However, before I moved, I got a server job at a restaurant since that's what I used to do while I was in college and as a second job for a while. After 2 months here I got a FT office job in my field.

You can do it, you just have to be smart about it. I would take a trip and apply to retail/restaurant jobs. Restaurant managers are usually there early in the week Mon-Wed during the day, so you come and fill out an app and talk to them between 2 and 4pm. I have to be honest, I fudged a little on my application. I hadn't seved since Oct 2006 when I was applying for jobs in 2010. So, to bridge tha gap I put down a non-chain restaurant and listed my old restaurant manager as a reference for that job. So it looked like I was working as a server currently. They never checked on any of that by the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment