Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 07:08 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,026,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos Quarterback View Post
Couldn't agree more. The work world totally favors extroverts and fake people though I'm being redundant here lol. And if everyone networked well, ti wouldn't solve the demand problem which is the real reason why unemployment is so high. It would still be a zero-sum situation.
Do you think society discriminates against introverts? I think so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 08:00 PM

7,034 posts, read 14,474,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
The point of connections is to avoid the application process. I've only had to send out resumes at one time in my career... and it was a pain. That particular time I just gave up with applications went to my University and asked them to find my something. They had me working 3 days later (even though it took another week to get paperwork finalized). That's one of the benefits of college though.

Otherwise, every job that I've gotten since has been through my network. Mostly from people I can call acquaintances at best... but a round of golf and a lot of chatting led to a fairly quick turnaround.
My current job (actually the only job I've had since graduating) was found through my school's Career Center, after trying fruitlessly at applying at several hundred other jobs on Indeed, Monster, Craigslist, etc.

They simply told me (after months of constantly bugging them) one day that they found a good fit and gave me the link to apply for it. Didn't eliminate the application process though.

That was in 2009, when unemployment was double digits.. hopefully it'll be a little smoother this time around.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:56 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos Quarterback View Post
Where have I ever stated I use my co-workers as pawns, WTF man? I like my co-workers for the most part. I'm not the one who refuses to help an intern if that intern won't work for my company in the future. That was you. You can disagree with me but don't call me a user. You are quite the hypocrite.
When did I say I would refuse to help an intern? I spend 2 hours/day helping interns now. I previously stated that the point of internships is for me to determine if they are someone who I would want to work for my company. Not that I wouldn't help them. My responsibility is to my company before a summer intern.

And you are absolutely a user. You want to do the minimum you can, you have said time and time again that you don't care about socializing or going the extra mile at work...you use the system to get a paycheck.

Old 06-14-2012, 03:35 PM

2,631 posts, read 7,013,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
What 'rules' are you talking about?

And essentially you are saying that you refuse to read, refuse to learn anything new, right? Actually educate yourself instead of claiming that all networking is crap.

Yeah...networking has nothing to do with sucking up to people. Networking is about helping other people. I get to know and help as many people as I can, without asking for anything in return, and they do the same for me when they have an opportunity. If you are sucking up to someone, you are not networking effectively at all. Kissing ass has nothing to do with it.
Oh so your kissing each other's butt instead....

Networking is nice way of saying depending on certain people to make a living for yourself.

Old 06-14-2012, 03:51 PM

2,631 posts, read 7,013,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
What 'rules' are you talking about?

And essentially you are saying that you refuse to read, refuse to learn anything new, right? Actually educate yourself instead of claiming that all networking is crap.

Yeah...networking has nothing to do with sucking up to people. Networking is about helping other people. I get to know and help as many people as I can, without asking for anything in return, and they do the same for me when they have an opportunity. If you are sucking up to someone, you are not networking effectively at all. Kissing ass has nothing to do with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GravityMan View Post
Almost every time I've helped a colleague, co-worker, partner, friend etc. in need...whether it's to clean her son's laptop by removing viruses/trojans and then recommending something such as MSE for future preventative maintenance...or to help him and his roommate set up their wireless network in their condo...or to simply give advice about the iPad...or to suggest good brands for home theater AV receivers and speakers...or to review and critique her written essay that's required for admission to a university...etc etc...I did not ask for anything in return. I did it simply because I wanted to, had the time and knowledge, liked the person, felt it was feasible, and felt that it was the right thing to do. There was no kiss-ass, no hidden agenda involved. If I got anything in return, it was because they took the initiative to do so...sometimes I graciously accepted, othertimes I politely declined.

The reason they came to me? Over time, they noticed that (a) I did my job well and with a good attitude and good effort, (b) I had good knowledge and skill in relevant areas and (c) I was empathetic and generally cared about others' well being both on and off the job. These things lead to others having confidence and trust in you. You build up a good reputation among others.

If I didn't have the sufficient expertise to aid that person in something, then (if possible) I would refer them to someone else with the skills, or some helpful resource.

Little things like that - or even just to reconnect at lunch or at happy hour over drinks - or sending them a birthday or Xmas card...can go a long way towards them remembering you in a positive light, and might just give you an edge...an inside track...over others for opportunities that are a good match for you. The opportunity could be a new job with a 30% bump in salary w/ great benefits and perks, or a sweetheart deal on that new car that doesn't get publicly advertised, or a new revenue-generating business opportunity for your current company that could put it in the black for the year, or VIP access to that exclusive club, etc etc.

Almost all hiring managers strongly prefer to hire people that they know and like, or that someone else (of good standing) in the company knows and likes. The higher up the ladder the available position is, the truer this becomes. There's a comfort level and confidence in such hires that this new hire can and will do the job well...the employer has SEEN their work and the fruits of their labor. Other "unknown" candidates armed with a resume and going thru an interview will have a difficult time competing with that.

It's really not that hard to understand...

Anyone can build a network (unless you're a hermit or hate people or something). Admittedly, extroverts may have an easier time doing so, but introverts can do it too. However, I will say that most people who have strong connections began building their networks at a YOUNG age...college, even high school...and nurtured and grew their networks over the years. These people can easily and quickly find good work, even in a tough economy.

No matter how you twist it. No matter how nice you try to put it YOU ARE STILL DEPENDING ON OTHER PEOPLE TO GIVE YOU A JOB OR STILL DEPENDING ON PEOPLE TO MAKE A LIVING IF THAT.

Furthermore, are you only talking about jobs like McDonald, retail stores, packaging,unskilled labor or are your referring to the jobs that require more then just a friendship to get done right?

Unskilled labor is one thing only mentally incapable people are the only ones unqualified; so it wouldn't matter who gets the job.

If you are talking about skilled jobs it should be the most qualified person for the job. Let's be honest; 9/10 when a hiring manager hires " a friend" for the skilled jobs they are not qualified.

The only jobs that are immune to the networking bologna..is highly skilled jobs... Which are the master techs in their respective field, and doctors etc. etc...

Also ,the networking I believe the OP was talking about was an unqualified candidate knowing the right person to get the job not the "say I have an engineering degree" "Really? Hey I know this company thats hiring." or " Jimmy struthers your the only guy I know that can get the job done. What do you say pal can I count on ya." Situation.

3 different scenarios. 3 different types of candidates.

Old 06-14-2012, 04:51 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
More proof that it's all about you who know.

I just looked at this girl's linkedin profile and she currently has the position I interviewed for last week that required a Bachelor's Degree

She only has a high school diploma....

Old 06-14-2012, 05:17 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip Mcnealy View Post
True. There's a difference between your college roommates father being the CFO at Company X vs your college roommate who works at Company X and will pass off your resume to HR.
Not necessarily... I have TONS of high-powered connections, including a former CEO father (my own) and sister with a very high-profile job, and neither did much good when I was unemployed. Well, my sister did get me some temp work, but the permanent job I eventually got had nothing to do with them. Connections are nice to have, but it's rare to have those contacts actually lead to a good job - especially if you don't work in the same field as those people.

My father was a management consultant, my sister is an attorney who now works in pro sports, and I am a public librarian. So how would they have been able to help me, exactly? Plus I'm only interested in and qualified to work in public libraries, which are government jobs with stringent application processes. Of course networking within that library (or whatever field) can give you an an edge, but simply being associated with high-powered folks doesn't always mean much.

P.S. My brother recently interviewed for a position at our father's old company, and still hasn't heard back from them. Yes, I said INTERVIEWED... so even if your daddy was the boss, most companies/organizations still make you go through the process.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:25 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Not necessarily... I have TONS of high-powered connections, including a former CEO father (my own) and sister with a very high-profile job, and neither did much good when I was unemployed. Well, my sister did get me some temp work, but the permanent job I eventually got had nothing to do with them. Connections are nice to have, but it's rare to have those contacts actually lead to a good job - especially if you don't work in the same field as those people.

My father was a management consultant, my sister is an attorney who now works in pro sports, and I am a public librarian. So how would they have been able to help me, exactly? Plus I'm only interested in and qualified to work in public libraries, which are government jobs with stringent application processes. Of course networking within that library (or whatever field) can give you an an edge, but simply being associated with high-powered folks doesn't always mean much.

P.S. My brother recently interviewed for a position at our father's old company, and still hasn't heard back from them. Yes, I said INTERVIEWED... so even if your daddy was the boss, most companies/organizations still make you go through the process.

You make a good point. When I was fresh out of college I wanted to work for a tv station but the only connection I had was that my Aunt was friends with the VP of a large corporation and the position I interviewed for was a new challenge. Would have been nice if he was the VP of CBSTV LOL

Old 06-15-2012, 06:02 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
Oh so your kissing each other's butt instead....

Networking is nice way of saying depending on certain people to make a living for yourself.
So you are against depending on other people to make a living?

Interdependence is inherent to humanity. Are we people living in a society, or sociopaths living alone in a cabin in the woods? Good god...

Old 06-15-2012, 07:30 AM

491 posts, read 471,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post

Yeah I mean I wasn't trying to imply it was always the case...but I know a ton of folks who had parents/uncles/bro's/sisters with big time gigs or big time social networks that benefited them a ton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment