Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 11:24 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,515,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post
yes but thats the risk / reward involved in capitalism. you take a big risk in order to reap a large reward in the private sector. working in the public sector means you forgo the option to make a huge financial return in exchanhge for HOPEFULLY job security. i love it when the private sector "calls out" the public sector. as a public sector employee i traded in my opportunity to make millions for middle class pay and job security (in theory haha).

the firefighter they interviewed in the article said he makes basically 3k a month after taxes. i make about 2k a month after taxes and everything and luckily i have no mouths to feed but my own.

Actually, it sounds like you did much better in the government sector. You say you traded...so what was the rationale? I doubt some government boss could fire you for a whim and a prayer.
Huge financial return in the private sector? If so, why did you leave it?
Something had to be better for you in the govt sector.

We simply don't need all of these Unionized Government Employees.

They get Pensions, and everyone KNOWS Pensions are better than 401Ks.

You bet the Private Sector calls out the Government Employees. We pay you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 11:32 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
Quote:
yes but thats the risk / reward involved in capitalism. you take a big risk in order to reap a large reward in the private sector. working in the public sector means you forgo the option to make a huge financial return in exchanhge for HOPEFULLY job security. i love it when the private sector "calls out" the public sector. as a public sector employee i traded in my opportunity to make millions for middle class pay and job security (in theory haha).

the firefighter they interviewed in the article said he makes basically 3k a month after taxes. i make about 2k a month after taxes and everything and luckily i have no mouths to feed but my own.
These days there are plenty of places where public sector employees are making very close to what the private sector are. Throw in the job security and benefits and it greatly tips the scales in their favor. You don't really think everyone in the private sector has the opportunity to make "millions" do you?

Old 07-11-2012, 12:23 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
I would just come to work and play on facebook all day LOL

Old 07-11-2012, 12:29 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,027,890 times
Quote:
Cost of living in penna is less then many states so 2-3 grand net isnt too shabby.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:50 AM

1,211 posts, read 1,534,546 times
In India and China firefighters and cops make around $400/ month.

Old 07-11-2012, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by analyze_this View Post
Why pay them $400 a month? Pay them $200 a month. You get the picture.

Old 07-11-2012, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I would just come to work and play on facebook all day LOL
And, as a unionized government worker, you can't be fired. And you get all those holidays off, that aren't holidays for private sector workers, like Columbus or Veteran's Day.
But things are affecting them now too, this business of everyone robbing the cookie jar, starting with the politicians, can't go on forever.

Old 07-11-2012, 03:06 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,027,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyze_this View Post
Thats peanuts. I dont see how they survive or support a family. Are firefighters & cops put on a pedestal like they are here in the states ?

Old 07-11-2012, 03:18 AM

241 posts, read 1,020,117 times
That's low but I dunno if the cost of living out there is a lot less, so maybe it balances it off. I don't know.

Old 07-11-2012, 04:13 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
Look on the bright side, get pulled over for speeding cops will be easier to bribe. They are probably offering to do that already if not caught on camera.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment