Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2012, 08:57 AM

2 posts, read 2,067 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I am a military veteran with extensive management experience and a recent college graduate (Urban Planning). I feel that I have a strong resume, which I try to tailor to each job posting, but I am not having much luck. I have given up on applying to anything directly in my field and am really hoping to land something with either state or federal agencies, but am open to anything. My question is, what are some free-to-cheap things I can do to make myself a more attractive candidate? I'm looking for things like free seminars, cheap certifications, etc. Are there any worthwhile certifications that just require you to study on your own and take a test? Any information is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 09:01 AM

460 posts, read 1,018,385 times
Have you gone to local job and career fairs? As I'm sure you have heard before, "who you know" can drastically better your chances in the government agencies (as well as other areas). Find good ways to network with the friends, and family, and people you know. Are there any buddies that you used to serve with you could contact? If you have a strong resume, there may not be a ton you can do to make it better.

I personally submitted 50+ applications to multiple government agencies a couple years ago when looking for a job, I feel that I am a strong candidate (personalized each resume and each cover letter for the specific position I was applying for), and didn't get one single interview.

Frustrating.. but keep trying!

Old 07-10-2012, 10:01 AM

460 posts, read 1,140,534 times
If you have your heart set on govt work, you should look at openings with the various contractors, much easier to get on with vs. fed itself. Have you applied to work that directly relates to your management experience? I have been going back to work I did when I was younger - got a gov contract that way and will soon be starting a perm private position doing the same.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:08 AM

460 posts, read 1,018,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by INTN View Post
If you have your heart set on govt work, you should look at openings with the various contractors, much easier to get on with vs. fed itself. Have you applied to work that directly relates to your management experience? I have been going back to work I did when I was younger - got a gov contract that way and will soon be starting a perm private position doing the same.

Good strategy that is hit or miss. I'm not sure the situation of the one looking for the job.. but a contracting job is def better than no job. However I wouldn't COUNT on simply getting right in with the feds soon... I have a lot of people I work with who have been told for the past 5 years they would be hired directly.... so it may be a hit or a miss.

But I agree definitely that going the contracting route is an option of getting a gov job out right isn't working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment