Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 09:02 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,216,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knt1229 View Post
If the standard pay raise is 3-5% and you got a little over 4%, then, it seems you are doing well. They gave you a good review and a raise to acknowledge your good work. What more do you want? You had to have known the pay was below market when you took the job. Unfortunately, you accepted anyway. I think you should stay put and continue doing a good job. If you decide to leave leave for a better reason than this. This is not a good reason to quit a job.
WHAT??? Not getting paid enough is one of the best reasons to leave a job. Pay is, after all, the main reason for working. It doesn't matter that he accepted a below-market wage; he's under no obligation to continue accepting it merely because the company doesn't want to give him a significant increase. What the company considers "standard" doesn't really enter into it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 09:07 AM

380 posts, read 1,156,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
WHAT??? Not getting paid enough is one of the best reasons to leave a job. Pay is, after all, the main reason for working. It doesn't matter that he accepted a below-market wage; he's under no obligation to continue accepting it merely because the company doesn't want to give him a significant increase. What the company considers "standard" doesn't really enter into it.

He is complaining about getting a standard raise which means that standard will probably hold true no matter what company he works for. He claims he is being paid below the market but that is based off of websites not the pay from his actual colleagues. Until he can determine that there are employers who will pay him the salary he thinks he deserves for doing the exact same job, then, he should leave. But, there is no reason for him to get his undies in a wad when he really doesn't know what he should or shouldn't be paid.

Old 07-11-2012, 09:45 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,035,522 times
Doing a good job does not guaranteed raises or promotions, nor does taking on additional responsibilities if the people in charge don't really notice what you're doing or if they don't consider you a good friend. Heck, getting a performance based raise in March can still mean you get laid off in June, so there you go!

It can't hurt to look around for a job, but given how terrible the economy is - and it is getting worse - you're probably better off just sucking it up... and sucking up to your boss since that's about the only sure-fire way to get ahead these days.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:25 PM

491 posts, read 2,290,820 times
That's a nice bonus. Maybe they do bonus jackpotting instead of big pay increases. Would that be so bad?

Old 07-11-2012, 08:35 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,439,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knt1229 View Post
He is complaining about getting a standard raise which means that standard will probably hold true no matter what company he works for. He claims he is being paid below the market but that is based off of websites not the pay from his actual colleagues. Until he can determine that there are employers who will pay him the salary he thinks he deserves for doing the exact same job, then, he should leave. But, there is no reason for him to get his undies in a wad when he really doesn't know what he should or shouldn't be paid.
I think he'd find out who's willing to pay what when he starts looking for new jobs. Most people don't stay around and do a good job just for the joy of it. They do it for a paycheck and most want to see that increase significantly over time. If he thinks he's below market, the only thing he can and should do is start interviewing with new companies and see what they offer him. At least then he'd have leverage.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:47 PM

29,824 posts, read 24,913,395 times
Market rates are supported by people seeking the best compensation for their time. As a big fan of the free market, go have a look-see. If a company is making their $$$ by paying as little as possible, they might want to reconsider their current strategy in other regards.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:37 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
It amazes me there are some industries that 4% is considered low. I have worked in three different industries: retail, health and wellness and non-profit. The largest raise anyone ever got was 3%. That was considered average and high.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
I think he'd find out who's willing to pay what when he starts looking for new jobs. Most people don't stay around and do a good job just for the joy of it. They do it for a paycheck and most want to see that increase significantly over time. If he thinks he's below market, the only thing he can and should do is start interviewing with new companies and see what they offer him. At least then he'd have leverage.
I never said he should work for the joy of it. Quitting a job is a serious decision and one that shouldn't be made in the heat of the moment with only half the info.

What he should do is ask his colleagues what they are being paid. If he is seeking professional employment he will have to make it all the way thru the interview process before knowing what type of pay the company would offer. So, his first step is to find folks of a similar background in the same field and ask them what they are paid. The first step should not be to quit.

According to the OP, he was supposedly paid below market in his last job, too. That seems odd to me that 2 of his employers have paid him less than they are willing to pay others. That sounds to me like maybe he is overestimating exactly what his skill set is worth in today's marketplace.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
It amazes me there are some industries that 4% is considered low. I have worked in three different industries: retail, health and wellness and non-profit. The largest raise anyone ever got was 3%. That was considered average and high.

Exactly. This guy got over 4%. In my past jobs, getting just 4% on a 5 point scale was considered excellent. 3.5% was ok. Heck, I have known co-workers who didn't get anything. Nothing.

To me, it seems as though he did well. More than likely, he simply isn't happy with his pay overall.

I have mostly worked in finance and advertising sales.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment