Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 02:45 PM

644 posts, read 1,145,205 times

Advertisements

I spoke with one of my career counselors and they say this is another way I can relocate. Do you know of any companies that will pay for your expenses AND teach you how to manage? I tried looking on my schoo's website for more information, but I'm having some log in issues, so I've been looking around on the internet for some sources.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 03:16 PM

34,089 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.B.C.420 View Post
Do you know of any companies that will pay for your expenses AND teach you how to manage?
Because they don't have enough warm bodies already living there they could train...
they need to import people with no skills?

Old 07-31-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Because they don't have enough warm bodies already living there they could train...
they need to import people with no skills?
What makes you assume that I have no skills? First of all my school suggested me look into it because if you planning to become a manager, they can sometimes pay for your expenses to train you to become a manager.

If you're going to be rude and not helpful then you don't have to continue posting in here. Thank you in advance.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:43 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,438,458 times
The rent-a-car places usually have management trainee programs. I don't think they'll pay for your relocation expenses though if that's what you mean. You will be an employee and I think they start you out at around $10/hr. And usually you need some sort of sales experience or leadership experience for them to take interest in you. I remember one day, shortly after I relocated, I received a call from one of them (Hertz, Enterprise, Avis) and the perky, young HR woman on the phone basically told me I wasn't qualified because I'd never done sales. Oh well, probably for the best anyway. I can't stand sales.

A lot of retail places would probably have a program like that, too, such as Target, Walmart, Best Buy, Home Depot, etc.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
The rent-a-car places usually have management trainee programs. I don't think they'll pay for your relocation expenses though if that's what you mean. You will be an employee and I think they start you out at around $10/hr. And usually you need some sort of sales experience or leadership experience for them to take interest in you. I remember one day, shortly after I relocated, I received a call from one of them (Hertz, Enterprise, Avis) and the perky, young HR woman on the phone basically told me I wasn't qualified because I'd never done sales. Oh well, probably for the best anyway. I can't stand sales.

A lot of retail places would probably have a program like that, too, such as Target, Walmart, Best Buy, Home Depot, etc.
Wow, you have to have sales experience? I have retail experience, but not necessarily sales. Sales isn't my thing. I heard from another person about rental car places and told me to check that out. I was looking into hotels also.

I think with Target you have to be working there currently. I worked there and most of the people had to work their way up.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Wow, you have to have sales experience? I have retail experience, but not necessarily sales. Sales isn't my thing. I heard from another person about rental car places and told me to check that out. I was looking into hotels also.

I think with Target you have to be working there currently. I worked there and most of the people had to work their way up.
Well, sales experience would be ideal, but perhaps not absolutely necessary. Retail experience would certainly help as well. That's all my friend had who now works at Enterprise.

If you don't like sales, though, I'd stay away from the rental car places. That's basically all it is: sales.

As far as your last statement (Re: Target), I think that's pretty much the case with any company. You'd need to be an employee before they'd consider you for a manager trainee program.

Check out www.indeed.com and do a search for "Management Trainee" in your zip code.

Check out this list as well: http://www.forbes.com/2010/06/21/com...s_slide_2.html

Most of those companies probably have management trainee programs.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Well, sales experience would be ideal, but perhaps not absolutely necessary. Retail experience would certainly help as well. That's all my friend had who now works at Enterprise.

If you don't like sales, though, I'd stay away from the rental car places. That's basically all it is: sales.

As far as your last statement (Re: Target), I think that's pretty much the case with any company. You'd need to be an employee before they'd consider you for a manager trainee program.

Check out Job Search | one search. all jobs. Indeed.com and do a search for "Management Trainee" in your zip code.

Check out this list as well: List: The Companies Hiring The Most New College Grads - Forbes.com

Most of those companies probably have management trainee programs.
Eck..yeah sales is not my thing at all. I'm not good at stuff like that.

Yeah I spoke to some team leaders while I was working at Target and how they got promoted was they were just employees there who were promoted within the company. Being an internal employee helps anywhere.

Indeed is garbage...I use to hit that site hard when I was job searching in the past. I don't like it.

Thanks for that forbes link though!

Old 07-31-2012, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Indeed is garbage...I use to hit that site hard when I was job searching in the past. I don't like it.
Indeed is just a search engine that searches all the other job boards. Jobs aren't actually posted on it.

I don't know where you live, but for example I just searched "Management Trainee" in "Chicago".

Management Trainee Jobs, Employment in Chicago, IL | Indeed.com

It lists pages of job postings from all over the web, sometimes a company's direct website.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Indeed is just a search engine that searches all the other job boards. Jobs aren't actually posted on it.

I don't know where you live, but for example I just searched "Management Trainee" in "Chicago".

Management Trainee Jobs, Employment in Chicago, IL | Indeed.com

It lists pages of job postings from all over the web, sometimes a company's direct website.
Oh I know about Indeed, that's why I don't use it anymore. You have to end up going to the company's official website anyway to check and see if the postings are there, even then you have to call because they post jobs on their websites that aren't even available.

I live a small county, unfortunately the biggest city is the one I'm in now and craigslist helps more strangely.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:09 PM

44 posts, read 157,361 times
There are tons of companies out there that have MIT program. Sales is not a total requirement because I've gotten 2 offers in these type of programs (Hertz being 1) and I don't have any sales experience. However, I was really involved on and off of campus, so I guess my experience helped.

Sherwin-Williams may be the best when it comes to those type of programs, I would recommend them. Enterprise has a bad rep.

My advice is to do what Tekkie suggested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment