Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2012, 06:12 PM

753 posts, read 1,483,028 times

Advertisements

I just filled out an application and I thought the position was part-time so I indicated a certain salary (less than half of my last comparable job). However, now I found out the job is full-time and I am in the final two for the running. If they offer me the job for the original salary expectation that I entered, I won't be able to take it. It's not just not worth it.

If they offer me a low, low salary in an offer letter, how do I go about telling them that I can't work for that little without looking like a goofball? I would still work for about $10,000 less than my last comparable job due to the fact that they don't pay based on experience and the last job did. All of my previous jobs have been on a non-negotiable salary schedule that is public knowledge so I have never dealt with this before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 06:20 PM

34,094 posts, read 83,010,632 times
when they call:
Ha! I thought that would get your attention. Of course I want what the job is actually worth.
So now that we know that I meet your other requirements... lets sort out the money and benefits.

Old 08-08-2012, 06:33 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,747,048 times
Playing off MrRational's script, they can come at you in a couple ways.

While it's possible they will allow you to re-negotiate your salary, they may first wonder why did you put down such a low salary initially if you knew you wanted more money (your low salary requirement was likely what sealed the deal for your selection). Once you tell them why, they may then wonder why you didn't do your research early on to find out if the job was part-time or full-time.

If they don't think you have good enough excuses for the above, they may just pull the plug on you altogether and go with the other person.

Old 08-08-2012, 06:42 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,397,135 times
That's kind of tricky. i think I would approach it by telling them that what you put was the absolute minimum offer that you would consider and see what they say.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:41 PM

5,584 posts, read 6,514,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankywithakeyboard View Post
I just filled out an application and I thought the position was part-time so I indicated a certain salary (less than half of my last comparable job). However, now I found out the job is full-time and I am in the final two for the running. If they offer me the job for the original salary expectation that I entered, I won't be able to take it. It's not just not worth it.

If they offer me a low, low salary in an offer letter, how do I go about telling them that I can't work for that little without looking like a goofball? I would still work for about $10,000 less than my last comparable job due to the fact that they don't pay based on experience and the last job did. All of my previous jobs have been on a non-negotiable salary schedule that is public knowledge so I have never dealt with this before.
This happened to me, although in a slightly different way. I put down $X.00 for an hourly position I found out about through the unemployment office. I saw an ad in the Sunday paper later that week and saw the different positions they had available. When I interviewed, it took a turn, they had seen my resume and the two positions I held previously and were interviewing me for a manager-type position, not for a service position as I had originally thought. I left with a good feeling, and told my husband I would not accept $X.00 as I had years of experience in the line of work of the position, it was a position that had a lot of responsibility, and I would have to be at my desk very early in the morning.

When they offered me the position, a dollar over what I had put down, I requested two dollars over what I had put down, and explained the above (different position than I had originally thought, the responsibility, etc). The caller had to clear it with the head person, who had me come in for a second interview with him and his associate, to explain why I wanted a higher salary. I got hired. However, when raises came around, of course I got small ones because I was "already at the top end of the salary for the position". This was the first time I ever had to negotiate a salary, and when it resulted in my favor, I was thrilled!

So, I advise you to either say the script the first reply said, or tell the truth, you mistakenly put down an incorrect salary and you would like $XX.00 and this is why (your experience, the responsibility, your ability to do the job, etc). Let us know what you decide and how it turns out. Good Luck!

Old 08-08-2012, 09:06 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,587,780 times
Why not just tell the truth?

Old 08-08-2012, 09:47 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,397,135 times
Because according to the company, the truth was already told on the application. So OP is trying to figure out a way to "change" facts to manage to pull off not looking like he (or she) was not paying attention on the application.

Old 08-10-2012, 04:52 AM

753 posts, read 1,483,028 times
Smile Update

I was shocked (shocked!) when she offered me more than twice what I listed as salary expectation. It's almost as much as I was making in a very, very stressful environment before.

I am still on cloud nine!

Thank you all for the input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment