Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 08:58 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,395,534 times

Advertisements

My previous complaint was about the people who turn in resumes with incorrect information.

This time, it is as follows:

If you are working with a recruiter DO NOT go around the recruiter and get the job interview yourself. You end up looking like an idiot who is disloyal. Especially when you don't tell the other one what you have done.

We have a really great position. It is full time and has great benefits and pay. A guy contacted us about the position. We got his resume ready, helped him tweak it to the specifications we KNOW they want because we are working closely with the client. We got his references together (which were an issue as the numbers were wrong but that is not the issue now) and submitted him. We were ready to talk him up to the company.

We got a phone call. The person had already applied and had been told they were going through the other applicants before making a decision. So this moron decided to stay in the process with us and not tell us that he interviewed. So, when the internal person called, it was to tell us they had already interviewed the guy, that he was in the running, and to ask if we had been told that the guy was submitting himself and why we submitted him. We said we did not know.

Fast forward about 2 hours. The guy calls furious that we submitted him and got him pulled from the running. Apparently, the hiring person at the job called and asked him point blank why he told neither of us that he was also working with the other. He replied "I didn't know I had to" and at that point, the person told him that she appreciated his interest bu they had decided to pursue other candidates.

So, to all those who think they can pull one over on employers, just a tale of how EASY it is to get caught in a way you never saw coming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 09:02 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,744,223 times
Interesting.

So the crap some folks on here said earlier about taking people out to lunch or just simply sending your resume to the hiring manager was BS after all.

What woulda thunk!?

Old 08-14-2012, 09:12 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,395,534 times
He would have likely been successful with one or the other of us.

The issue was that he decided to do so without telling at least one of us. If he told the company, they would have been expecting us to also submit him. If he had told us, we could have submitted him with the note that we know he had already contacted them.

The thing that I do not understand is trying to play us against one another. We WANT to fill this position, we make money if we do. So, yes, it took us longer...but we tweaked his resume and pre-contacted his references. We weren't sitting around ignoring him.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:06 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Interesting.

So the crap some folks on here said earlier about taking people out to lunch or just simply sending your resume to the hiring manager was BS after all.

What woulda thunk!?
I wonder how much I would have to spend on lunch? lol

Old 08-15-2012, 06:46 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Interesting.

What woulda thunk!?
No, it is far from BS. If you are using a recruiter, obviously you don't go around them. If you aren't using a recruiter, all of those things are extremely helpful.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:52 AM

934 posts, read 1,939,062 times
Thanks for the insight, good information.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:18 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
My previous complaint was about the people who turn in resumes with incorrect information.

This time, it is as follows:

If you are working with a recruiter DO NOT go around the recruiter and get the job interview yourself. You end up looking like an idiot who is disloyal. Especially when you don't tell the other one what you have done.

We have a really great position. It is full time and has great benefits and pay. A guy contacted us about the position. We got his resume ready, helped him tweak it to the specifications we KNOW they want because we are working closely with the client. We got his references together (which were an issue as the numbers were wrong but that is not the issue now) and submitted him. We were ready to talk him up to the company.

We got a phone call. The person had already applied and had been told they were going through the other applicants before making a decision. So this moron decided to stay in the process with us and not tell us that he interviewed. So, when the internal person called, it was to tell us they had already interviewed the guy, that he was in the running, and to ask if we had been told that the guy was submitting himself and why we submitted him. We said we did not know.

Fast forward about 2 hours. The guy calls furious that we submitted him and got him pulled from the running. Apparently, the hiring person at the job called and asked him point blank why he told neither of us that he was also working with the other. He replied "I didn't know I had to" and at that point, the person told him that she appreciated his interest bu they had decided to pursue other candidates.

So, to all those who think they can pull one over on employers, just a tale of how EASY it is to get caught in a way you never saw coming.
Why does it matter if he applies himself? Seriously, that shows far more initiative than him waiting for you to apply for him.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Why does it matter if he applies himself? Seriously, that shows far more initiative than him waiting for you to apply for him.
This is like hiring a real estate agent to buy a house, he finds a house for you, walks you through it three times, and then you make a deal with the seller directly so that you don't have to pay commission. It is shady, slimy, and says a lot about a person's (lack of) character.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:24 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
This is like hiring a real estate agent to but a house, he finds a house for you, walks you through it three times, and then you make a deal with the seller directly so that you don't have to pay commission. It is shady, slimy, and says a lot about a person's (lack of) character.
Um...NOOOO...he applied first. He was not walked through. He landed the interview before the recruiter managed to. It would be like me finding a house on my own and buying it on my own because my real estate agent was dragging his feet.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Um...NOOOO...he applied first. He was not walked through. He landed the interview before the recruiter managed to. It would be like me finding a house on my own and buying it on my own because my real estate agent was dragging his feet.
And yet he still agreed to work with a recruiter. As soon as you agree to work with an agent, you stop looking on your own. You either stop looking on your own, or if you are unsatisfied with your recruiter, you call them and tell the recruiter that you are no longer using them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment