Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 10:11 AM

1,211 posts, read 1,534,286 times

Advertisements

I am just going with anecdotal and personal experience only, but amongst all my friends and acquaintances, people with specific (e.g. computer science, accounting) etc. are having no trouble getting jobs. Computer science related careers are the best. People who are having trouble are graduates with some liberal arts, law school grads etc. that have little practical application for business and companies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 10:14 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyze_this View Post
I am just going with anecdotal and personal experience only, but amongst all my friends and acquaintances, people with specific (e.g. computer science, accounting) etc. are having no trouble getting jobs. Computer science related careers are the best. People who are having trouble are graduates with some liberal arts, law school grads etc. that have little practical application for business and companies.
Perhaps they and others are getting offers due to past experience, employment history and the like. Their resumes get the attentions. Experience can go a long way and a steadier work history is especially a bonus.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Perhaps they and others are getting offers due to past experience, employment history and the like. Their resumes get the attentions. Experience can go a long way and a steadier work history is especially a bonus.
I think the unemployment situation is overblown. If you majored in something that has little practical application, then yes that is a cause for concern (in previous years even the liberal arts majors had little trouble getting jobs).

Old 08-27-2012, 10:30 AM

107 posts, read 381,992 times
Quote:
I think the unemployment situation is overblown. If you majored in something that has little practical application, then yes that is a cause for concern (in previous years even the liberal arts majors had little trouble getting jobs).
There is little value in anecdotal stories. I majored in finance, tore accounting coursework a new one and had ZERO offers for either accountant, bookkeeper, assistant, clerk, etc or financial analyst.

Most recently I applied for a job where the president of the company essentially blew me off but I saw a person I had an accounting class with. She had zero experience, worse grades than me and got a staff account position at a company that did not hire me for an assistant accountant position.

There is a lot more to finding a job than mere competence. People have arbitrary ways of "liking or not liking you".

Old 08-27-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnemployedRage View Post
There is little value in anecdotal stories. I majored in finance, tore accounting coursework a new one and had ZERO offers for either accountant, bookkeeper, assistant, clerk, etc or financial analyst.

Most recently I applied for a job where the president of the company essentially blew me off but I saw a person I had an accounting class with. She had zero experience, worse grades than me and got a staff account position at a company that did not hire me for an assistant accountant position.

There is a lot more to finding a job than mere competence. People have arbitrary ways of "liking or not liking you".
You are probably in some small town and are refusing to relocate to a big city. Small towns and backward states offer very few opportunities.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:35 AM

107 posts, read 381,992 times
Quote:
You are probably in some small town and are refusing to relocate to a big city. Small towns and backward states offer very few opportunities.
2 million metro area in a major state is not a small town.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:49 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
...people with specific skills...
You figured this out all by yourself huh?

Old 08-27-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
You figured this out all by yourself huh?
I am just saying that the UE situation is way overblown by the media.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:54 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,688,188 times
Luck and connections

Old 08-27-2012, 10:55 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,742,631 times
Why not tell us a little more about yourself OP.

What type of education do you have?

When/how long have you been unemployed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment