Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 08:52 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,822,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noscut View Post
I know tons of people who have gotten jobs because of "who they know."
Family- extended family...friends of family and time do the trick...If your family has been around long enough--someone is out there making money and someone can steer you towards some cash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 09:13 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,021,530 times
"It's not what you know, but who you know"

Is accurate, but not the way you think it is.

I have never held a job that was "Given" to me. In fact, every job involved totally foreign territory. But I realized when I got older that what really made the difference was solid references and in some cases a solid resume.

I've worked with people who were flat out incompetent, yet they got the job because of their references.

I've also worked with people who had the worst attitudes possible. But they got jobs because of their references for their work.

The idea that you can just call up a buddy and land a job - sure, I know some that do it. In fact, I know females who call up past bed buddies and get jobs. But they never last long.

Old 10-20-2012, 08:27 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,607,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
"It's not what you know, but who you know"

Is accurate, but not the way you think it is.

I have never held a job that was "Given" to me. In fact, every job involved totally foreign territory. But I realized when I got older that what really made the difference was solid references and in some cases a solid resume.

I've worked with people who were flat out incompetent, yet they got the job because of their references.

I've also worked with people who had the worst attitudes possible. But they got jobs because of their references for their work.

The idea that you can just call up a buddy and land a job - sure, I know some that do it. In fact, I know females who call up past bed buddies and get jobs. But they never last long.
and those people could have a mediocre job interview but still get hired because of their references?

Old 10-20-2012, 09:35 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,021,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToHaveALife View Post
and those people could have a mediocre job interview but still get hired because of their references?
If the company is desperate to get someone in and has had issues finding someone, yes.

A nameless company once hired a nameless director who, it was later discovered, had a resume that was full of lies; sped through the interview with no real probing into background; and had a bunch of references from people he knew but never really worked heavily with.

Director not only got the job over other more qualified candidates, he was paid six figures with essentially no experience whatsoever. Nice guy, but he was not the right person for that job and he knew it.

Now, he did get let go after a few months. But again, he got in because of (A) a well written resume, though full of falsehoods; and (B) a bunch of references who talked him up, though also full of falsehoods, they were "good buddies".

Old 10-21-2012, 01:50 AM

545 posts, read 1,556,034 times
Quote:
of getting hired, here is a copy, transcript of the Conversation we had on how Networking, the phrase "It's not what you know but who you know", and how it increases the odds, chances of getting a job, getting hired, etc.

I told him on how, that my best friend whom i've known since middle-school works at Home-Depot and has been letting me use him as a Network resource, reference, connection to help me get hired there, when I told him the phrase "It's not what you know but who you know" this is how it lead to the disagreement:

He says: "It's more of what you know not who you know. Knowing people may get you a second look but if you don't know what you are doing then you won't last. Education is the key to the workforce."

Then I responded to him by saying "I read an accurate percentage, in fact, even a person who works for the Department of Rehabiliation, says that at least 70 percent of people get jobs through networking"

Because a person who actually works for the California Department of Rehabilitation specifically told me that, that 70 percent thing

Then he says: "How many of that 70 percent are able to keep those jobs for more than 6 months?"

Lastly he says "If it was who you know not what you know" then colleges would cease to exist.

What do you think about what he said?

Even if those people who got their jobs via networking got fired after 6 months... they're still better off than the people who didn't even have the opportunity to get hired.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:37 AM

398 posts, read 1,365,804 times
Both the OP & her husband doesn't seem to understand that networking doesn't usually involve getting an "unqualified" person hired. When applicants are being interviewed, there are more than a few who fulfill the minimum requirements for the job and so the one who is recommended by someone they know will have an advantage... but they are all qualified... some may be "more" qualified than others but which companies always hires the most qualified based on technical knowledge & education alone?

Quote:
What makes you think that having a better job interview makes them more qualified than someone with better references?
My pet peeve involves job applicants who are good at talking their way into a job, so being good at interviews doesn't say anything about their technical qualifications.

A person who is good at networking is likely better at being interviewed than someone who spends most of his time with his head buried in books... so the most technically qualified person can often loses a job position to someone "less" qualified who simply gives a better interview. Along with the fact, that the less experienced (but still qualified) will likely accept and be content with a lower salary. The "most qualified" person usually doesn't get the job because many factors even without networking.

Hiring completely unqualified people usually involves family members and/or friends who are placed in selective "management" positions where they can do little harm by simply delegating work to others.

Quote:
Lastly he says "If it was who you know not what you know" then colleges would cease to exist.
Does your husband know that which colleges you graduate from can improve chances at getting high paying jobs?
Colleges have relationships with businesses (ever heard of internship programs?)... and high profile companies & CEO's favors students & graduates who have similar educational backgrounds especially those from their Alma-mater... that's networking too.

Last edited by raymond2; 10-21-2012 at 10:36 AM..

Old 10-21-2012, 10:10 AM

777 posts, read 1,337,052 times
I think it depends on the person. While people of higher status, while all their fam and friends and networks may be lower statuses, then it becomes more of "what you know" than who you know, b/c obviously who you know isn't going to really get you anywhere if you're status is higher.

But for most people, I believe it's all about who you know. I have a disability and the only way I can ever get a job is through someone helping me. While my education may look fine, especially compared to many others (I do have a Bachelor's), lack of actual experience doesn't get me anywhere, nor does knowing no one in the field. In fact, the only way I may ever get a job within my degree is through the help of a family member getting me a job b/c she works in a somewhat similar field. Only issue is, i don't live in the same area at the moment.

Regardless, i do think it's sad that this is the is works in the employment industry - being about who we know. It's not always, but many times it is. We've seen it enough where someone doesn't even want to hire someone out of a favor, because they know they may potentially be passing on better applicants. It's really a win-lose situation.

Old 10-21-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymond2 View Post
Both the OP & her husband doesn't seem to understand that networking doesn't usually involve getting an "unqualified" person hired. When applicants are being interviewed, there are more than a few who fulfill the minimum requirements for the job and so the one who is recommended by someone they know will have an advantage... but they are all qualified... some may be "more" qualified than others but which companies always hires the most qualified based on technical knowledge & education alone?

What makes you think that having a better job interview makes them more qualified than someone with better references?
My pet peeve involves job applicants who are good at talking their way into a job, so being good at interviews doesn't say anything about their technical qualifications.

A person who is good at networking is likely better at being interviewed than someone who spends most of his time with his head buried in books... so the most technically qualified person can often loses a job position to someone "less" qualified who simply gives a better interview. Along with the fact, that the less experienced (but still qualified) will likely accept and be content with a lower salary. The "most qualified" person usually doesn't get the job because many factors even without networking.

Hiring completely unqualified people usually involves family members and/or friends who are placed in selective "management" positions where they can do little harm by simply delegating work to others.

Does your husband know that which colleges you graduate from can improve chances at getting high paying jobs?
Colleges have relationships with businesses (ever heard of internship programs?)... and high profile companies & CEO's favors students & graduates who have similar educational backgrounds especially those from their Alma-mater... that's networking too.

it's my cousin's husband

Old 10-31-2012, 07:22 PM

well my best friend since middle school, who has been working at Home Depot for 2 years now, he never had a job prior to Home Depot, Home Depot was and still is his first job ever, and he got hired there at age 22, which is considered a late bloomer for getting their first job, and he's let me use him as a reference, connection, but it's only been enough to get me interviews at Home Depot, not hired, and also, i don't get why my Cousin's Husband says Education is the Key to the Workforce, but seriously, you really need a College Education just to get hired at McDonalds or a Grocery Store?

Old 10-31-2012, 07:41 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,159,384 times
I would definitely say networking and knowing the right people will always trump alternative ways of getting hired.

I have two personal examples if anyone is interested.

Sent from cell...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment