Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 12:49 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,607,016 times

Advertisements

of getting hired, here is a copy, transcript of the Conversation we had on how Networking, the phrase "It's not what you know but who you know", and how it increases the odds, chances of getting a job, getting hired, etc.

I told him on how, that my best friend whom i've known since middle-school works at Home-Depot and has been letting me use him as a Network resource, reference, connection to help me get hired there, when I told him the phrase "It's not what you know but who you know" this is how it lead to the disagreement:

He says: "It's more of what you know not who you know. Knowing people may get you a second look but if you don't know what you are doing then you won't last. Education is the key to the workforce."

Then I responded to him by saying "I read an accurate percentage, in fact, even a person who works for the Department of Rehabiliation, says that at least 70 percent of people get jobs through networking"

Because a person who actually works for the California Department of Rehabilitation specifically told me that, that 70 percent thing

Then he says: "How many of that 70 percent are able to keep those jobs for more than 6 months?"

Lastly he says "If it was who you know not what you know" then colleges would cease to exist.

What do you think about what he said?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 12:51 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,836,992 times
I think he has a donkey outside his front door and is pulling his statistics from there.

Old 09-25-2012, 12:55 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,607,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
I think he has a donkey outside his front door and is pulling his statistics from there.
So is he flat-out wrong then?

Old 09-25-2012, 01:02 PM

934 posts, read 1,939,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToHaveALife View Post

Then he says: "How many of that 70 percent are able to keep those jobs for more than 6 months?"

This is nonsensical. He doesn't know, we don't know, and even if it were possible to quantify, its irrelevant. This is the sort of false rhetorical question pseudo-smart people toss out as a substitute for thinking.

There's no "networking applicants get fired more often than non-networking applicants" metric.

To put it in technical terms - he's FOS.

Old 09-25-2012, 01:10 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,900,343 times
Neither of you are incorrect.

Networking gives you the shot. Helps get your foot in the door, for any variety of reasons. But, once in the door, if you're not qualified you're not going to get the job. Networking isn't about "Hey, here's a really nice guy/gal. He really doesn't know anything about this field, but we should give him/her a shot." It's about recommending them for their work, experience and (dare I say it) fit, based on history.

There are all sorts of variables that come into play once you get someone's attention. Networking helps get you the attention.

Old 09-25-2012, 01:11 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,744,223 times
I get what he's saying.

If you're not qualified for a job, networking (or having connections in the company) won't do a thing for you.

He's not saying Networking is a bad thing, but rather Networking only helps if you qualify for the job you're being recommended for in the first place.

Another argument is that networking won't do much for you either if said connection really isn't in a position to make a hiring decision.

Old 09-25-2012, 01:13 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
Some people get jobs through "who you know" and some don't. There is no right or wrong answer. I can tell you that maybe 10% of the people we have hired over the last several years in my department had any connection at all with anyone.

I can say for myself it has been about 50/50.

Old 09-25-2012, 01:21 PM

3,924 posts, read 6,839,150 times
Obviously we ALL know that you need at least some education to land even a simple job. Nobody is going to hire a rock because it was recommended.

So, I agree with the other poster who said, its both. Education equal, knowing somebody within a company will give you your best chances at landing the job versus just anonymously applying. As with all things in this world, how much weight is distributed in required education vs. employee referrals probably depends on the company. So a highly technically company may be 90/10 whereas a lawn maintenance company may be 10/90. There is no right answer.

Old 09-25-2012, 01:39 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
I would have said, "okay" and left it at that. As stated above, you are both partially right. I might give you a second look because someone I know suggests I take a look at you, but if you don't have the job skills I need I'm not going to hire you. If I know in advance you don't have the skills I need, I'm not even going to interview you as it would just be a waste of time.

Old 09-25-2012, 01:54 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times
Why is it that so often people think it is one thing that leads to success or failure?

Its a combination of events that lead to both, we live in a very complex global world were any number of things can impact one another.

To find a good job you have to have everything and some luck too.

1. Skillset
2. Good resume' and possibly cover letter
3. Education ( most often )
4. Networking
5. Timing
6. Location
7. Luck

If you don't have all of those good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment