Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2012, 05:01 PM

673 posts, read 3,095,561 times

Advertisements

One of things I have noticed in most companies and projects I have worked on, is the timeline for project never seem to be enough. Note, most of my work is in the High Tech/Software field, so it might be different elsewhere.

It seems like the managers are under pressure to pick shortest turn around time for projects. Sometimes, the deadlines are completely unrealistic. Looks to me as if they never consider how much time it would take doing 40 hrs a week work plus extra pad time. In fact, I wonder if estimate are ever padded with extra time to solve any unexpected pesky problems?

The result of this is pretty obvious, everyone goes into crisis mode because we are running late. People are made to work 50-60 hrs a week and even then project might be delayed...

Are there actually companies out there that have good timeline for their projects? Are they are able to get it done on time without people having to work overtime since they are running late?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012, 05:26 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,232,905 times
I'm actually going through this right now at my job. One difference, tho, is that my IT guy kept procrastinating the project. We first discussed it in Jan/Feb. By June he really didn't have anything done and I was finished with my end of it. We went into crisis mode over the summer and tonight I have to write up a summary on whether the whole thing should be cancelled. I'm pretty sure that's what's going to happen. What a waste of time it has been.

Old 10-07-2012, 05:35 PM

29,869 posts, read 25,005,650 times
Absolutely. This is coming from a manufacturing background where projects/orders can take weeks to months. This is essentially a matter of making promises you can't keep. Since the environment today is so competitive, sometimes you have to make these promises to win the job, and you just cross your fingers and hope it doesn't take too long. In the past 4 months, I'd say we've been able to complete 50% of projects on time, and that seems to be about average. It must be because the customers keep coming back. The real problem is when projects get screwed up or edited, and must be redone.

Old 10-07-2012, 06:09 PM

16,375 posts, read 22,540,117 times
I worked 29 of the past 30 days due to project timelines that were estimated way too short from the very beginning. Every single project task is too short and many tasks were completely left off the schedule, though the work still needs to be done. The company will not change the timeline. The only choice is to work extra hours to meet the due dates or allow the dates to slip.

Old 10-07-2012, 06:12 PM

673 posts, read 3,095,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Absolutely. This is coming from a manufacturing background where projects/orders can take weeks to months. This is essentially a matter of making promises you can't keep. Since the environment today is so competitive, sometimes you have to make these promises to win the job, and you just cross your fingers and hope it doesn't take too long. In the past 4 months, I'd say we've been able to complete 50% of projects on time, and that seems to be about average. It must be because the customers keep coming back. The real problem is when projects get screwed up or edited, and must be redone.
I think that is a very good point. Management, CEO, etc are under pressure to give quick turnaround to customer and investors. They don't want to tell customers they will take 3 months longer than what customer wants to hear or longer than the competition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment