Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 06:23 PM

3 posts, read 3,118 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone Im currently working as a maching operator plating metal for other business. Ive been working for this company for 4 years now and I cant take it anymore due to a list of things. Im debating if I should quit, so hard to decide because the lack of jobs at the moment. here are some things going on at my workplace.

Im all ears, thanks.

Harassment
*I feel Im not respected as an adult. my age has been criticized and challenged.
*my intelligence has been insulted and challenged.
*putdowns.

Discrimination
*I have been stereotyped and compared.
*certain employees are favored.
*opportunity advancements are fixed, false signup for advancement.

Threats
*I have been threatened to be fired.
*every employee is trained regardless, I am offended by this.

Pay
*we are required to work 5 min early but not allowed to leave 5 min early.
*we face a 1/4 pay reduction penalty for even a minute late.
*we are underpaid.

Working conditions
*There are roof leaks and water puddles during rain.
*I feel the work areas are not vented well enough.
*can be extremely hot and exhuasting, no water breaks or extra breaks.
*very dusty.
*safety is not first.
*I work with racks that have hooks. it occasionally cuts/scrapes hands or exposed arms, same with certain parts being handle.
*work area can be very crowded and unsafe to move around quickly considering its fast pace.
*incomplete first aid kit.
*being exposed to many sort of chemicals everyday may have long-term effect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 06:25 PM

45,583 posts, read 60,878,723 times
Sounds pretty normal actually.

Yet some will say unions have no place in today's workplace.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:30 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,856,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imhere920 View Post
Im debating if I should quit.
Quit.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:37 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,085,000 times
The first three are illegal under EEOC regulations, and the last illegal based on OSHA regulations.

Pay is between the employer and employee after minimum wage laws are covered.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:38 PM

380 posts, read 1,157,716 times
Get another job first, then, quit.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:43 PM

3 posts, read 3,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knt1229 View Post
Get another job first, then, quit.
Thats the first thing I thought of but it could take a long while. Im so stressed right now, I cant even think straight.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:56 PM

16,375 posts, read 22,542,209 times
If you have enough money to live on for 1 year, or a spouse that can cover the bills and is OK with your resignation plans AND if you have a way to obtain health insurance, resign.

Not a good work environment. Focus on finding something better.

To help get through the bad job for now, repeat to yourself when stressed...this is just a paycheck, I will find something better, this is just a paycheck for now. When criticized, imagine a mirror that is in front of you like a shield. The critical comments will come from the other person's mouth and bounce off that mirror and will NOT cause you any harm. Deflect with that imaginary mirror and smile and tell yourself, this is just a temporary paycheck.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:13 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,433,599 times
Is this your first job or something?

Old 05-01-2012, 07:24 PM

29,872 posts, read 25,009,573 times
Sounds like a pretty typical low paying manufacturing shop. This is pretty typical actually for a secondary operation workshop. I don't know what you consider the proper wage to be for such a job, but realize what the labor market rates are for the job... Not very much. Maybe $10/hr if your lucky. Machine operators are generally considered "semi-skilled" labor, meaning they require you to follow a couple directions simultaneously. They make the work as easy as possible so the position can be filled by nearly anyone off the street in short order. If the things you describe are a burden to you, I would advise picking another line of work. Job shops bid on price. They will look to get their secondary work done at the lowest bidder as well, as they factor that into their bids. The secondary workshops that pay the lowest wages tend to get the bulk of the work. The poo tends to run downstream.

Might it be a case for more union representation? Perhaps. Be that as it may, it might be wiser to learn some skills that will afford better working conditions. I've worked in those types of places. Even near the top of the totem poll, it's no fun venturing out into the wilderness in those kinds of shops. You know the workers aren't being paid well when they keep eating your lunch

Old 05-01-2012, 07:31 PM

137 posts, read 267,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
The first three are illegal under EEOC regulations, and the last illegal based on OSHA regulations.

Pay is between the employer and employee after minimum wage laws are covered.
Literally every statement in this post is completely inaccurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment