Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 08:13 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,056,744 times

Advertisements

There comes a time at a job, where it's best for me to move on, and it shows. Either I am sick of the company, the people, or both. I'm mentally checked out, and don't really care anymore. I come in everyday, and do my job, but I get tired of playing the game.

By game, I mean all the unnecessary BS, like dealing with the workplace kiss-ass, the fake people, the stab-you-in-the-back people.

It's probably because I've never had a job I like.

Anyway, I'm at that point again, and have been sending resumes out like crazy.

Anyone else get to that point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 07:03 AM

70 posts, read 238,236 times
You are not alone! I'm similar to you in that I've never had a job I liked, and I've hit that low point in every position. I've considered using a career counselor but I've heard they are not worth it. It sucks.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:37 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,262,444 times
I had to move on from one employer to another before. The transistion was both positive and negative. The negative was leaving an employer I was with for a long time and knowing what I wanted to do was unable to be achieved with them. The positive is being with an employer who knows what I am capable of doing and helps bolster their business. It is not the line of work I prefer to be in, but it is something I am content with in the present.

Old 10-24-2012, 08:52 AM

763 posts, read 2,605,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
There comes a time at a job, where it's best for me to move on, and it shows. Either I am sick of the company, the people, or both. I'm mentally checked out, and don't really care anymore. I come in everyday, and do my job, but I get tired of playing the game.

By game, I mean all the unnecessary BS, like dealing with the workplace kiss-ass, the fake people, the stab-you-in-the-back people.

Right here!!! I know when I'm at that point when, as I pull into the parking garage, I say to myself, "Wonder what fresh hell I'll experience today?" That's when I know it's time to start sending out resumes.

Old 10-24-2012, 11:27 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,296,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post

Yes. I was at my last job for less than a month before I reached that point. I worked there a total of six months; that's how long it took me to find a new gig. And I got screwed on my way out the door. But I'd do it again because now I have a job I actually like with people I actually enjoy working with, so I got the last laugh.

Old 10-24-2012, 02:02 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,355,097 times
I think everyone gets to that point at some time in their careers. My concern is that you say that you have never had a job that you liked. Have you taken a career assessment? My students just took the Career Clusters Interest Survey through MATC. Check them out--it is free and online--and while it is not the same as a professional assessment, it will give you an idea of the areas of interest that you have. I tell my students to only check boxes that they really, really like.

Old 10-24-2012, 02:26 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,485,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
I think everyone gets to that point at some time in their careers. My concern is that you say that you have never had a job that you liked. Have you taken a career assessment? My students just took the Career Clusters Interest Survey through MATC. Check them out--it is free and online--and while it is not the same as a professional assessment, it will give you an idea of the areas of interest that you have. I tell my students to only check boxes that they really, really like.
Thanks for the website. I took an assesment many years ago in college and they said I should be a truck driver. I quit the class after that.

Old 10-24-2012, 03:23 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,056,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
I know my areas of interest very well, as I'm in my 30s, but I did the test anyway. The top 3 results were fields I already worked in, and don't wish to do again.

Old 10-24-2012, 04:40 PM

3,652 posts, read 4,708,808 times
I'm there now, just applied to a job within my field just this afternoon infact. I like 'what' I do, but I work for a family business and being an outsider, the blatant nepotism/cronyism, in addition to the crap you expect in an office( gossiping, backstabbing) is just overwhelming and sucks the life right out of me. I'm literally counting down the seconds on the clock for 8 hours, defocused, sluggish, de-motivated to do more than the minimum required to get the job done. Yeah, it's time for a new environment( been there 3 years)....

Old 10-24-2012, 04:43 PM

3,652 posts, read 4,708,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KABurke View Post
Right here!!! I know when I'm at that point when, as I pull into the parking garage, I say to myself, "Wonder what fresh hell I'll experience today?" That's when I know it's time to start sending out resumes.
LOL, that's me. It's like the closer I get to the office, my entire demeanour changes. I 'feel' this wave of negative energy coming over me. It's not pleasant at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment