Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 12:54 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,473,128 times

Advertisements

Sounds like everyone could use a trip to one of those incredibly isolated retreats where you only have each other to talk to and you might just get the opportunity to knock some heads together. Of course, it could go horribly wrong a la Severance (Severance (2006) - IMDb)

Seriously, can you not instigate some kind of HR procedure where people are put on verbal warning, written warning and then disciplinary procedures happen? Spreading malicious rumour and gossip is extremely unprofessional and detrimental to the company - anyone who does that needs a severe talking-to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 05:07 AM

973 posts, read 3,305,191 times
Thanks for the comments!

I used to work for another employer that dealt with this nonsense much better and more swiftly.

A former manager and a couple supervisors also created issues themselves but much of that has been addressed. The problem people are just painfully immature, jealous and spiteful, IMHO.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:27 AM

973 posts, read 3,305,191 times
Sorry if it seems vague. Frankly, I don't always understand this craziness so it's tough to explain it. Typos or administrative errors are in payroll or overtime assignments so the assumption is the company is trying to skip out on paying them. Corrections are rarely needed but they do get their pay if it's wrong. Not all of those tasked with record keeping are good at it unfortunately but nobody is targeted. The complainers don't hear about those errors from others because they feel no need to mention them. They know that things happen but errors are fixed. It's a non-issue for them.

I and other people have noted that the compainers seem to have a lot in common. They all seem to be painfully unhappy people in general. There are ongoing themes of "I'm a victim and somebodys out to get me" and "If I can't have it, nobody can." They are all black females. They fight among themselves and with other front line staff but generally, they feel management are the bad guys.

I have suggested one on one meetings to explain that it's time to grow up and just do the job but not sure if that will happen with the new manager. We'll see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
I'm not getting the connection between a typo and favoritism. The OP is too vague to figure out what is really going on there. Is the problem that the workers don't like the new manager or are fighting among themselves?

Fire them is an easy thing to say but is not always an option for one reason or another. If that is the case, I would call a meeting and require all employees to attend. I would provide them with an agenda that states very clearly that this is going to be the opportunity to air any and all grievances in a controlled environment without tempers flaring. Everyone will get a chance to speak to what is going on but if arguments or childish behavior ensures, the meeting will be terminated and those people dealt with accordingly. Those that choose not to speak out will have no basis for complaint. I would firmly state that once the meeting is over, everything is a blank slate and disruptions to the office or business day will not be tolerated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment