Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 12:48 PM

1,344 posts, read 4,764,865 times

Advertisements

People do 10 app's a day, but I doubt anyone does 10 app's a day every day. Unless they have no geographic limitations.

But when it comes to applying for jobs, you tend to develop a number of different resumes, and while job hunting, for me at least, I can probably churn out a good cover letter in a few minutes. For the maybe 5-6 types of jobs that I could stretch my skillset to do, I'll have 5-6 resumes waiting to be uploaded. Find 2 jobs in each of those catagories, churn out a cover letter (mostly copy and paste with a paragraph or two specific to the company/office), and there you go.

If you're applying to jobs with just one or two resumes and the same cover letter... good luck. You're gonna need it.

Last edited by smarterguy; 11-16-2012 at 12:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 12:56 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,013,580 times
I agree to apply for things even if you are short of experience, sometimes you will still be a strong candidate! Half the time what they want are guidelines and not set in stone.

I also agree with KABurke- I look for jobs everyday. I look at what the search engines send me first, apply for what I can, then I check all the sites like indeed, craigslist, monster, temp agencies, etc. All in all there are some days I spend 2-3 hours and apply for up to ten jobs in one day (usually this is Monday or Tuesday), then by Friday it severely dwindles down. Like today, I have found zero jobs to apply for. But Monday I applied to about 7. Then some weeks are just terrible. I am very sure next week companies won't be posting much, so I'll be lucky if I find 2-3 IMO.

I believe in October I applied for 40 jobs. I got 1 interview, no call back. And this month I have 2 interviews out of applying for over 15 jobs. Go figure.

Old 11-16-2012, 12:59 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
I agree to apply for things even if you are short of experience, sometimes you will still be a strong candidate! Half the time what they want are guidelines and not set in stone.

I also agree with KABurke- I look for jobs everyday. I look at what the search engines send me first, apply for what I can, then I check all the sites like indeed, craigslist, monster, temp agencies, etc. All in all there are some days I spend 2-3 hours and apply for up to ten jobs in one day (usually this is Monday or Tuesday), then by Friday it severely dwindles down. Like today, I have found zero jobs to apply for. But Monday I applied to about 7. Then some weeks are just terrible. I am very sure next week companies won't be posting much, so I'll be lucky if I find 2-3 IMO.

I believe in October I applied for 40 jobs. I got 1 interview, no call back. And this month I have 2 interviews out of applying for over 15 jobs. Go figure.

And expect a drop in postings from now until 2013 due to the holiday season unless you are looking for a retail job.

Old 11-16-2012, 01:02 PM

763 posts, read 2,604,950 times
Quote:

You have just described how I spend my days!!

Old 11-16-2012, 01:26 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,013,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
And expect a drop in postings from now until 2013 due to the holiday season unless you are looking for a retail job.
Yup... I'm pretty sure I won't get a job until January UNLESS this interview on Monday pans out.

Old 11-16-2012, 02:14 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Yup... I'm pretty sure I won't get a job until January UNLESS this interview on Monday pans out.
I have a pending situation with a company I had a second interview for on October 25th. Timeline below

July 31st-applied to job
September 21st-called for a interview
October 15th-called to schedule a 2nd interview
October 16th-2nd interview cancelled
October 19th-2nd interview rescheduled
October 25th-2nd interview
October 26th-asked for the email address of my references
October 29th-Hurricane Sandy forced company to close until Oct 31st
Nov 5th-Lady sent me a email letting me know all my references were emailed
Nov 5th-one of my references called me to let me know she emailed everything back
Nov9th- another one of my references told me she received the email and responded on the 9th
Nov12th-Company closed

So now I sit and wait LOL

Old 11-16-2012, 06:14 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KABurke View Post
That's not true. If someone has worked at the same type of job for many years, their experience in other areas, i.e., sales, zone manager, is non-existent and even a degree won't make up for their lack of experience in these areas. It would be foolish of me (or anyone in my position) to apply for a job that I have absolutely NO experience in doing.
Yes it is, you do not have much knowledge on marketing a skill set.

Quote:
[color="Indigo"]....and that would be?
The problem is the lack of knowing how to apply for jobs; waiting for a job to be posted on a job board? No wonder some people have problems finding work.

Quote:
[color="Indigo"]This could be because you HAVE experience in writing and other candidates did not. As for the "apply for everything" rule....no, I'll not do that. (See comment above)
Go ahead, not do it, I do not even know if you are looking for work, and if you are, well good luck, but my advice is to learn a little more on search for jobs and evaluating your skill set.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:22 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Yes it is, you do not have much knowledge on marketing a skill set.

The problem is the lack of knowing how to apply for jobs; waiting for a job to be posted on a job board? No wonder some people have problems finding work.

Go ahead, not do it, I do not even know if you are looking for work, and if you are, well good luck, but my advice is to learn a little more on search for jobs and evaluating your skill set.

So provide the board with ways of finding a job before it's posted on a job board?

Old 11-16-2012, 06:33 PM

763 posts, read 2,604,950 times
Quote:
Yes it is, you do not have much knowledge on marketing a skill set.The problem is the lack of knowing how to apply for jobs; waiting for a job to be posted on a job board? No wonder some people have problems finding work.
This isn't my first rodeo. I've been in the work force since 1972. I know what my skill set is. I know how to market myself. No, I do NOT wait for jobs to show up on a job board or have one appear in my email inbox. I will "cold send" my resume and do it on occasion. I don't LIKE to cold send because I know that it has a tendency to leave a bad taste in a hiring manger's mouth to have their inbox besieged with unsolicited resumes. It's not a problem of someone not knowing how to market themselves. It's the fact that the sheer number of people applying for the same job may put the odds against you.

Quote:
There was a posting on the careers section of a local hospital for a pediatric neurosurgeon. You think I should submit my resume in for that?

Old 11-16-2012, 06:37 PM
FBJ

Quote:
This isn't my first rodeo. I've been in the work force since 1972. I know what my skill set is. I know how to market myself. No, I do NOT wait for jobs to show up on a job board or have one appear in my email inbox. I will "cold send" my resume and do it on occasion. I don't LIKE to cold send because I know that it has a tendency to leave a bad taste in a hiring manger's mouth to have their inbox besieged with unsolicited resumes. It's not a problem of someone not knowing how to market themselves. It's the fact that the sheer number of people applying for the same job may put the odds against you.

There was a posting on the careers section of a local hospital for a pediatric neurosurgeon. You think I should submit my resume in for that?

I sent a cold email to this company 3 times between March and September and then just gave up after hearing over and over......"we have no openings"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search