Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 06:30 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,958,320 times

Advertisements

So a few weeks ago I quit my job with no job lined up. I'm 28 years old and was making $69K in the tax accounting field. I quit because of personal, health and abusive management reasons. A few weeks after I quit, I moved out of my apartment and put all of my stuff in storage (U-Box) which is transportable to any city in the world by making a simple phone call. Now, I am temporarily staying at my parents' house and I'm miserable. But I want to hit the road and make a move to a new metro area soon....like next week.

With that said, which metro areas would be a safe choice to move to with no job lined up? I have $27,000 cash in the bank, which is a fair amount, but still not enough to not worry. I am a white male with a master's degree in accounting. So, which AFFORDABLE metro areas do you think have plenty of job opportunities? I was looking at unemployment rates by metro area, but I'm not sure if those are an accurate indicator of actual job creation. If there is such a statistic, please let me know about it.

A few cities that came to mind were Dallas, Houston, Orlando and Denver, to name a few. But not sure if my logic is flawed.

Also, how would I go about finding short-term housing with no job? Can that be done? I can't afford to stay in hotels for too long.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2012, 06:40 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,916,818 times
Williston ND. Boomtown USA. Not sure if they need accountants. But if you have a Commercial Drivers license with big rigs, you can get hired.

Old 12-08-2012, 06:55 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,011,475 times
extended stay hotels.. search online like mad at your parents house and be miserable then when you find a few good catches within the same region go for it and if you are religious, pray for good luck

Old 12-09-2012, 03:15 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,802,860 times
You definitely want to factor in the unemployment rate. The lower the better that means there is less competition for each job. I don't think you want to go to Detroit. You want to research areas that have low unemployment and areas that aren't losing jobs. You can use the BLS website to look all sorts of stats like that up.

Old 12-09-2012, 03:23 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,433,240 times
Best to just search online for your field and the best cities for those jobs...

Old 12-10-2012, 03:36 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,902,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
So a few weeks ago I quit my job with no job lined up. I'm 28 years old and was making $69K in the tax accounting field. I quit because of personal, health and abusive management reasons. A few weeks after I quit, I moved out of my apartment and put all of my stuff in storage (U-Box) which is transportable to any city in the world by making a simple phone call. Now, I am temporarily staying at my parents' house and I'm miserable. But I want to hit the road and make a move to a new metro area soon....like next week.

With that said, which metro areas would be a safe choice to move to with no job lined up? I have $27,000 cash in the bank, which is a fair amount, but still not enough to not worry. I am a white male with a master's degree in accounting. So, which AFFORDABLE metro areas do you think have plenty of job opportunities? I was looking at unemployment rates by metro area, but I'm not sure if those are an accurate indicator of actual job creation. If there is such a statistic, please let me know about it.

A few cities that came to mind were Dallas, Houston, Orlando and Denver, to name a few. But not sure if my logic is flawed.

Also, how would I go about finding short-term housing with no job? Can that be done? I can't afford to stay in hotels for too long.

Thanks
Washington DC area

Old 12-10-2012, 04:32 PM

29,832 posts, read 24,922,073 times
I would never move anywhere without a job lined up. The way I did it was drive or take a train to interviews, and stayed in a hotel for the night. Did this a couple times with great success. Considerably cheaper and more practical than committing to a location without a job lined up.

If you can't afford an extended stay at a hotel, you probably couldn't afford a longer term living arrangement without a job. Most apartments wouldn't take you without proof of employment. Perhaps a roommate arrangement would be practical if you were absolutely committed to moving.

Old 12-11-2012, 01:44 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,300,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post

Thanks
Do not come to Dallas without a job. We have so many transplants moving here thinking the streets are paved with gold and jobs are falling from the sky.

DO NOT COME HERE UNEMPLOYED. PLEASE.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:39 PM

208 posts, read 819,837 times
DMV (DC, Maryland, Virginia) is probably a good area, plenty of jobs, but also plenty of people. The cost of living is high, but that's also relative to where you live. There are plenty of people that rent by the room, so you could find something. I can't speak on the career field of accounting because I'm in IT, but I ran a quick indeed search, and I had over 5k hits come back within 25 miles of Arlington, VA. Of course more goes into a jump search, but I'm just giving you a quick glance.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:52 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,037,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerGuy View Post
DMV (DC, Maryland, Virginia) is probably a good area, plenty of jobs, but also plenty of people. The cost of living is high, but that's also relative to where you live. There are plenty of people that rent by the room, so you could find something. I can't speak on the career field of accounting because I'm in IT, but I ran a quick indeed search, and I had over 5k hits come back within 25 miles of Arlington, VA. Of course more goes into a jump search, but I'm just giving you a quick glance.

I agree, The Baltimore and DC area has..................TONS of jobs. No way in hell would I be unemployed in those cities for more than 2 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment