Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2012, 10:16 PM

457 posts, read 977,984 times

Advertisements

I've been an enforcement officer for 22 years. I do bring a lot to the table with experience in different areas within my profession. I'm currently going thru the interviewing process with another dept/state. Since this is a County, blue-collar position and not a corporate position, would I be wrong to negotiate starting salary? The new position starting salary is $6.00 less than what I make topped out. Has anybody negotiated their starting "tier step" when starting or transferring to a Government agency?

The is also the first time, I've seen this announced on a job bulletin:

"The successful candidate will start at the minimum of the salary range unless otherwise approved by the County Manager."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 10:14 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,135,000 times
I don't know about State gov't, but in the Fed gov't, once a Fed, if you change jobs within the gov't, your salary/step is set as per routine paysetting policies you are entitled to. Very rarely can additonal steps be given, in most cases it is not even possible.

But if I were you, I'd ask them to match your current salary (highest previous rate would probably be denied, especially in this economy (they love to say all economies are tight)).

They'll probably need to formally write your case/request up for approval by that County Mgr (which could add 2+ weeks). If it is hard-to-fill, and/or you have superior qualifications from the other applicants, those are selling points for the approval. You may need to tell them why you are special from the rest. And of course, don't say anything until you are selected... and then you'd want to tell them you couldn't afford to take a cut in pay, and would be willing to reject the step 1.

Good luck!

Old 12-06-2012, 10:29 AM

Thanks for the reply. I really wouldnt expect to get $6 over starting pay which would equal to my current pay. It would be nice to get $2 to $3 over 1st step which would be a 50% difference. Not quite sure how to word the request? I just got scheduled for a 2nd interview. Also I would be moving to a new state for the position.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:39 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,135,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chgodon View Post
Thanks for the reply. I really wouldnt expect to get $6 over starting pay which would equal to my current pay. It would be nice to get $2 to $3 over 1st step which would be a 50% difference. Not quite sure how to word the request? I just got scheduled for a 2nd interview. Also I would be moving to a new state for the position.
And you have to move? (are they paying for it?) If it is a higher cost-of-living area, that is another good reason to ask for more pay, especially if they are not paying for the move.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:02 AM

The move would be from Southern CA to Vegas area. They would NOT be paying moving costs. There is no state income tax. They would not be deducting retirement out of my check either. Im focusing on the fact they did advertise pending county managers approval too.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:13 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,764,147 times
For county level hiring, normally there is a discretionary hiring max.

In recent years though, many counties have had wage freezes while the maxes have annual increases. We have had a freeze here for 5 years, and as a result a recent hire into my same job title makes $12k more per year than I do. I would actually be better off quitting and then reapplying for my job

And this is exactly what a large number of recent (last 5 years) hires have been doing here. They quit their current positions to take new positions in other departments or even in the same department!

Other counties, to prevent this, have instituted strict caps on new hires. While you could start at higher pay, they are capping new hires so that they cannot make a higher starting wage than current employees in the same job classification. That might be the situation you are encountering here. All wages should be public record for that county; I would suggest finding out what the actual current pay is for each existing employee. If existing employees are making the salary range minimum, it will be hard to get your increase. If no or few existing employees in the same job title are making the minimum, then you will have more flexibility to negotiate an increase.

But.... having been involved in county level interview process before, as soon as you ask for anything over the advertised max, you are dropped from consideration. I have even twice seen the top candidate dropped from consideration after they were offered the job because their salary requirements were over the discretionary max.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:48 AM

Marigold. Very good perspective. I do see the salary range on the job flyer. Im sure this is the min & max pay earned for that position. Not finding max starting salary link for Clark County. I think you may be referring to a salary records request for 1 yr employees in the same job title?

Old 12-06-2012, 01:15 PM

Max starting salary is not publicly disclosed. But you could get the salaries of everyone with that job title. If this is Clark County Nevada, I bet the local newspaper already has a database only of public salaries.

Edit: Found two such databases
http://transparentnevada.com/salaries/clark/
http://www2.8newsnow.com/salaries/se...-1&limit=25&q=

Transparent Nevada looks to be the easiest for search by job title, for example:
http://transparentnevada.com/salarie...=any&s=default

Old 12-06-2012, 10:12 PM

Just talk to someone who put my scenario in another perspective. He advised not to rock the boat with asking for a 2 step raise prior to being hired. This is his calculation:

$1,080 = less per mo with new job. The difference from my current topped out salary to the new starting salary
$723 = less per mo after taxes
$790 = more per month due to new job not taking $145 for State taxes & $658 for retirement
$66 = overall more per month due to balancing the decrease in salary to the non deductions in Nevada

This also does not include overtime or call back pay
This does not included a possible 1 step raise during the first year

Old 12-07-2012, 09:36 AM

Looking through those salaries records, btw, it looks like Clark County employees get quite a bit of overtime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment